Simulated instrument time in non ifr plane

Huckster79

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Huckster79
Im considering getting my IR, i really want to become a cfi at our local airport, so gotta knock out the IR next, we got two great cfis but they will retire one of these days...It wouldn't be a full time career it would be cfi at podunkville international.

my question on simulated time, is that can be logged with just a fellow vfr safety pilot, but what about the plane? Could i log some of them as “simulated partial panel” in an airplane with no attitude indicator? Doing this could cut my cost down considerably...

... Could i log some of them as “simulated partial panel” in an airplane with no attitude indicator? Doing this could cut my cost down considerably...

No attitude indicator? That'd be good for 1 maybe 2 flights.

Now, a VFR airplane with an attitude indicator would get you through all the basic air work, add VOR, and you could even do some approaches. Most VFR trainers these days have that much.

But, you're still gonna spend a significant amount of time in an airplane with at least VOR/ILS, and/or probably IFR GPS as well.

Are you currently Private rated?

If you’re headed for CFI and not CFI-I there’s some differences in requirements.

Best way to go here is to recommend you look over the ACS for Commercial and CFI PTS and the referenced FARs, as well as the FAR reauirements...

... and then ask the question again with a reference to any that seem unclear.

Good practice since you’ll need to be teaching from those anyway, right? Your students will ask similarly vague questions.

The answer is, “Let’s look that up together. Where would you look?” :)

There’s nothing that says simulated instrument flight has to have a full panel (in fact, there’s a lot of benefit to being very proficient at it IMO), but as the other here have indicated, the real question is what value do you expect to get from it?

I have little plans to fly instrument conditions- just a required step to get to a CFI as I understand even if you are t going for double i one still needs the IR ticket to be a cfi now, that it used to not be that way...

So my thinking was the some of 40 logged simulated hours- not instruction hours, w a vfr safety pilot could be done as partial panel in my old Cessna 140 gas sipper...

I have little plans to fly instrument conditions- just a required step to get to a CFI as I understand even if you are t going for double i one still needs the IR ticket to be a cfi now, that it used to not be that way...

So my thinking was the some of 40 logged simulated hours- not instruction hours, w a vfr safety pilot could be done as partial panel in my old Cessna 140 gas sipper...
So the value of it would depend on how many fewer than 40 hours of instruction you figure you’ll need for the rating. Get with your CFII, get started, and the determine if it’s worth it or not.

So the value of it would depend on how many fewer than 40 hours of instruction you figure you’ll need for the rating. Get with your CFII, get started, and the determine if it’s worth it or not.

That makes sense... see how much duel eats up of that and go from there...

my question on simulated time, is that can be logged with just a fellow vfr safety pilot, but what about the plane? Could i log some of them as “simulated partial panel” in an airplane with no attitude indicator? Doing this could cut my cost down considerably...
There's no particular use in logging partial panel time outside of instrument instruction.

Im considering getting my IR, i really want to become a cfi at our local airport, so gotta knock out the IR next, we got two great cfis but they will retire one of these days...It wouldn't be a full time career it would be cfi at podunkville international.

Attitude indicator is required for IFR, but simulated instrument flying can be done with just about anything. Why don't you use your phone to display an attitude indicator? Partial panel hours is not a really a number that the FAA asks you for.

Attitude indicator is required for IFR, but simulated instrument flying can be done with just about anything. Why don't you use your phone to display an attitude indicator? Partial panel hours is not a really a number that the FAA asks you for.

Yea I suppose that could work for simulated time and just practice

Attitude indicator is required for IFR, but simulated instrument flying can be done with just about anything. Why don't you use your phone to display an attitude indicator?
Or just get really good at partial panel.

I used to own a Cessna 140 and did exactly that, simulated instrument without an AH. Initially did not have a DG either. You will learn to shoot approaches and critical phases with Southbound headings because of the lead/lag of a compass. It is much easier than flying on Northbound headings. To most pilots an AH or attitude indicator is an important primary instrument but when you have about 50 hours of initial hood time without one it becomes a convenient backup instrument. I still don't use one like most pilots do. Never had an issue with partial panel or gyros out flying on any check ride!

Check the regs for minimal ifr equipment, you can do most of your training with it, check your local approaches for the approach requirments, some VOR approaches only need one VOR, as long as they are timed approaches,

I did some instrument practice hours with safety pilots, but only after working with CFII and being comfortable flying all the approaches I ended up using on checkride. Considered safety pilot time practicing and polishing technique, don't think safety pilot flying would be of much use before learning to fly approaches, holds, etc.

My 2 cents: Of course you have to read the books, know the PTS, etc., but most of what I know about IFR I learned from the free PilotEdge videos: https://www.pilotedge.net/workshops, there are 9 IFR classes, all a couple hours each, watch one a day and you'll be well on your way.

Back