Airventure 2020 cancelled

But NO COFFEE MUGS, dammit.
I'll bring it up. I know they're discussing the window stickers we all love. Your collection of coffee mugs covers my entire life!! We can't let that trend quit!

When my daughter was getting married in Colorado, one of our chairmen let us stay in her house. I opened up the cabinet and found the set of Oshkosh mugs: Hey, you've got the same china pattern as us.

One of our other volunteers pointed out that we have a lot of coffee mugs and that the EAA should give out different parts of the place setting each year for the long term volunteers: plates one years, salad bowls, the next.

They got rid of the volunteer mugs however. The hats (which usually won't fit me and I don't wear golf caps anyhow) and the inane advertising shirts are not the EAA volunteer giveaways.

I just want to buy a coffee cup to keep the collection going...
I'm told you should keep watching the store. They're going to add more items to it over the next few days. However, they're having financial discussions on whether or not they will add more items than what they've already ordered, so supplies could be limited.

I bailed on Osh some time ago. No way am I camping in a field with 10,000 potential viral carriers with COVID running loose. Surprised it took them this long.

Window stickers for both Osh '20 and Nosh '20.

Jim

Attachments

• Noshbnd 20.jpg
    Noshbnd 20.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Oshbnd 20.jpg
    Oshbnd 20.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 33
The real problem would be if Zoom showed up on Zoom.

He's a lot easier to mute there.

People are absolutely going to show up anyway. You can draw your own conclusions about whether that's a sign of dedication or stupidity.

I had said I was gonna go just for a day, find my usual spot of grass at 42nd and Lindbergh, and drink margaritas until I thought I heard airplanes... But it's only an hour's drive from my house. When people started talking about coming up from Texas anyway... Well, it sounds like EAA has already been on Facebook telling people to stay home. So I'll drink in my back yard instead I guess. :( But I'll fly over in any case. Before drinking, of course.

I looked for alternatives. O5H 0SH 05H. no luck.

I'm sure you can fly into KOKS that week.

You probably wouldn't be the first.

On any given random day without the virus and not around the show dates, would it be approved to let a person park an aircraft (or better yet camp) in any of the many random places on the field, such as the vintage area near theater in the woods, the warbirds area, North 40 near the bath house, etc..?
My guess is no.... i recond they'd steer you to an FBO's ramp....

Correct. And EAA does not own any of the land on the airport, they use it with the city's permission. I'm sure that will not exist this year, so don't plan on pitching a tent in any of the normal airplane camping areas.

I do see on the map that Hilton has a parking ramp. I didn't realize that. I'm assuming I could park there and stay at the hotel on any given random evening.....

They do, but it's really only big enough for a handful of airplanes. It's the place to park if you're going there for a $100 burger because it's a closer walk to the food.

It holds about six or eight planes. I've parked there. Best to make arrangements with the hotel in advance if you intend to use it. There's a people gate with a simplex lock to get out there. Even if it's full, there's space on the grass just beyond it. That's always been my plan B if I can't get on the ramp.

Was thinking it would be fun to host an OSH alternative flyin at my sleepy airport 80nm away from OSH, but I’m sure the management’s gulag mentality would prevent it. Would have called it “Nearkosh”

Guess I’ll have to cancel the coffee mug order....

[Bring on the flames]

Anyone planning to go to KOSH during the now canceled event is a moron.

Are you hosting your own "NBA'ish basketball games", "NFL'ish football games", etc. etc.?

How about some "going to work-ish office visits"?

None of them are clever, and perpetuating them is moronic.

...Are you hosting your own "NBA'ish basketball games", "NFL'ish football games", etc. etc.?

No, but now that it's finally spring in the northern Rockies, we have done a couple of Friday afternoon tailgate "parties" (more of a get together than a party) near the threshold of one of the runways at my home airport. Lawn chairs spaced appropriately, disinfecting protocol, cold beer. It helps. Especially for those in the group that are single and live alone.

[Bring on the flames]

Anyone planning to go to KOSH during the now canceled event is a moron.
I'll save my fuel and time for other events. I have better things to do than fly to Oshkosh and get turned away! No camping will be allowed, no airshow will happen, no vendors will be there... you know, no AirVenture!

Now if someone has another fly-in somewhere around that time, I may just be there.

Now if someone has another fly-in somewhere around that time, I may just be there.

I wonder if there will be any fly-ins this year, aside from ad-hoc get-togethers organized by a few pilots.

A lot of the usual fly-ins are pancake-breakfast fund-raising events, intended to bring in crowds of local townspeople, and gatherings like that seem very unlikely for this summer.

Jay Honeck was planning to go and stay at the HGI but he's had a reality check in that the Hilton Corporate has not yet backed down on the especially exorbitant show rates yet. It's still ~$600/nt with a minimum.

Jay Honeck was planning to go and stay at the HGI but he's had a reality check in that the Hilton Corporate has not yet backed down on the especially exorbitant show rates yet. It's still ~$600/nt with a minimum.

Probably because either EAA is just going to keep their reservations, or because all of the @Jay Honeck s of the world are trying to do the same thing right now. :rofl:

What Jay was told was that the change has to come from Hilton corporate, the local manager doesn't set the rates, and that hasn't happened yet.

I’m going to sit in my garage and pretend I’m at the forums with no A/C and a flimsy folding chair. Also ordering the Spruce practice composites kit and going to set up YouTube vids of people teaching me how to build airplanes. This year’s budget will be spent on tools I guess.

To all who have been saying that they want to go to OSH this year.

Sent out this week by EAA.

Will my volunteer comped-camping be transferred from 2020 to 2021?
All 2019 volunteer hours will be honored for AirVenture 2021 camping requirements. Any volunteer hours from 2020 will also be honored, but not combined with 2019 hours.
Will Camp Scholler or Audrey’s Park still be open for volunteers this summer if I still want to come?
No. In conjunction with the Badger Bounce Back Program in Wisconsin, the entire EAA campus will be closed to volunteers until further notice. Our campgrounds will not have the proper infrastructure in place to support people (such as showers, bathrooms, food service, etc.) nor be licensed to host anyone. Gates will be closed and entrances locked to these areas. For the safety of all, we ask that you take the summer off from EAA and be ready for AirVenture 2021.
If I fly in, will I be able to camp next to my aircraft?
Wittman Regional Airport will operate as it does during non-AirVenture periods. If you fly in, you will be able to taxi to recognized airport areas such as Basler Flight Services or the terminal. EAA is not leasing the airport grounds for the summer. Thus, you will not be able to park your aircraft in the grass or anywhere else other than year-round airport parking areas, and you will not be able to camp outside. In addition, there will be no facilities such as restrooms, showers, food service, etc., in the areas traditionally used for AirVenture aircraft parking. For the safety of all, we ask that you take the summer off from EAA and be ready for AirVenture 2021.
I still want to come and help maintain the grounds/I had planned to attend weekend work parties.
We appreciate your support and dedication to EAA and AirVenture. In conjunction with the Badger Bounce Back Program in Wisconsin, the entire EAA campus will be closed to volunteers until further notice. We have canceled all weekend work parties. For the safety of all, we ask that you take the summer off from EAA and be ready for AirVenture 2021.
I still plan to come. I already took vacation. Will there be space for me?
We appreciate your support and dedication to EAA and AirVenture, but we are not allowing volunteers on the grounds until further notice. We will not have proper infrastructure needed to support people (like showers, restrooms, food service, etc.) nor be licensed to host anyone. Gates will be closed and entrances locked to the AirVenture grounds. For the safety of all, we ask that you take the summer off from EAA and be ready for AirVenture 2021.
If I fly in, park my aircraft in the official airport areas, and stay in a local hotel, can I still come over and volunteer?
Unfortunately, no. The volunteer program is on hiatus for the time being. We will announce when the volunteer program is allowed to commence once again.
Can I purchase my volunteer and/or Chairman shirt/hat for AirVenture 2020?
EAA will not be ordering these items, so they will not be available for purchase.
Will we still get a volunteer patch for 2020?
There will not be a volunteer patch for 2020.
What about the volunteer coupon for AirVenture 2020?
Thank you for your ongoing support. We have set up a one-time use online volunteer coupon code that you can use to get 20% off your entire order on eaa.org/shop. This offer will replace the paper coupon that you were mailed for AirVenture 2020. Coupon code will expire on August 1, 2020 and cannot be combined with any other promotions. A coupon will not be issued for use during AirVenture 2021.

I'll save my fuel and time for other events. I have better things to do than fly to Oshkosh and get turned away! No camping will be allowed, no airshow will happen, no vendors will be there... you know, no AirVenture!

AOPA San Marcos is postponed “indefinitely”, Colorado Pilots Assoc has cancelled 4 and I doubt the mid-June flyin to Gallup will happen. Hope the October flyin to Trinity Site in NM still happens.

AOPA San Marcos is postponed “indefinitely”, Colorado Pilots Assoc has cancelled 4 and I doubt the mid-June flyin to Gallup will happen. Hope the October flyin to Trinity Site in NM still happens.
I manage a FB Page called Texas Fly-Ins and people are reaching out to me and saying they will probably be having their events. Right now, I only have one event on the calendar, but expect more soon.

One of the EAA Chapters I belong to has had a Funday Sunday Fly In for decades on the 1st Sunday in May. We moved it to August and hope for the best.

Cheers

One of the EAA Chapters I belong to has had a Funday Sunday Fly In for decades on the 1st Sunday in May. We moved it to August and hope for the best.

Cheers
EAA 301 has cancelled the twice-monthly Young Eagles starting this past March, for the forseeable future. I won't fly the kids until the schools re-open. Bummer ... got 8 of my 10 in the first 2 months of the year, seriously doubt I'll get my last 2 this year.

No teaching Origami, Young Eagle flights, or any other events that involve groups bigger than a half dozen. COVID could easily kill my spouse. None of this stuff is worth that. I doubt we'll go out to eat this year.

We will get through this. Hopefully, things will improve soon. My wife had a trip to Scotland planned for months...that will not happen. At least in my area, we have been able to fly out to a couple restaurants on Saturdays...my friends fly solo in their planes..we carry folding chairs and eat lunch under the wings of our planes. Not even close to OSH, but better than nothing. I wish you all good health and safety until this passes.

How many hours do you have to do to get free camping?

Back