Who here carries a handheld com transceiver?

I have an Icom A6. It spends most of it's time in the house so I can listen to my airport (~2.5 mi away) and smack talk my friends overflying.

I have a Sporty's SA-400 that's still in the box. I plan to carry it when I'm doing IFR flying if I ever get to finish my training...

Sporty's SP-400 here in case of generator / com failure, checking the ATIS and for those long waits to get a startup clearance.... (yes, that is a real thing over here)

I have a Sporty's handheld that's as old as the earth's crust, It functions well and I carry it every time I fly. In 30 years of flying I've never had the need to use it until last summer. Was on a local flight when my audio panel went on the fritz and I lost all my radios. Pulled out the ol' handheld and was able to communicate no problems with tower at home airport.

I advised tower I had a radio failure and was using a handled. At 1500 AGL and 8 mn they were able to hear me loud and clear.

I’ve carried one since 2001. Can’t recall the brand. Worked last time I pulled it out, whenever that was. I charge it when I remember to do so. Hasn’t failed me. Used it a bunch of times.

I carry one but refuse to use it... That is how they steal your soul.

My handheld is in my go bag. It's a Vertex. On a flight about 45 minutes out the controller said my XPNDR was intermittent and I turned back. I was able to contact HSV approach but not the tower. I picked up my handheld and made the last few calls. It turns out the exciting wire to my alternator parted. The rechargeable battery pack has given up so I use regular batteries and carry extras in my go bag for the radio and flashlight.

I bring mine if im flying close to dusk, really just want to turn the lights on in event of a com failure is plenty flying where i do...

Bought a Yaesu FTA-310 after losing almost all electrical power at night over the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex. Would've made talking to the tower easier. I mostly use it when in a glider and want to communicate on a local CTAF or listen to an AWOS without changing the main radio's frequency.

I carry a handheld. It sits in a small, red canvas, craftsman bag along with other emergency stuff behind the passenger seat.

Yepper. I still have a Sportys (SPA-400?) portable transceiver from years ago. Useful for CLNC and an emergency backup if the electrical system crumps. I've got the headset adapter, too, to make it easier to use. It would be even better if I wired an antenna adapter in the panel. Haven't done that yet.

I carry an old Sportys radio with headset adapters about half the time. Never used it except for ATIS.

Back