[NA] Non-Flanged Plumbing

wanttaja

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Ron Wanttaja
Replacing a leaky instant-hot water tank in my kitchen. Noticed the pipes for it have no flanges at all.
ih2.jpg
This is the same model of tank I already have, and the inlet and outlet tubes obviously have some sort of compression fitting that doesn't depend on the pipes having a flange.

Never worked with this kind of system before. Anything I need to know? Are the existing hoses re-usable, or are they allowed to tighten only once?

Thanks....

Ron Wanttaja

Sharkbite ? (if so; ugh)
no manual suggestions?
No, manual just says, "Connect Hoses."

Here's a shot of the current connection:
insta-hot hoses.jpg
I'm ready to take a pair of wrenches and loosen these; just wondering if anyone knows the tricks to re-connection.

Ron Wanttaja

Take the hoses off. Probably only have to slide the compression ferrels off the old and on to the new. Worst case is you would need new ferrels. Or whatever they are called.

My best guess based on what I can see from the picture.

Hoses should be reusable.

Probably only have to slide the compression ferrels off the old and on to the new
The ferrules are the part that are mechanically compressed onto the smooth pipe to form a leak-tight seal. He will need new ferrules. If he cuts off the pipe of the old one, he can re-use the nut, otherwise a new nut will also be needed as the nut is captured onto the pipe by the ferrules. Important to make sure you get the same kind of ferrules for the fitting (e.g. some fittings like Swagelok use a double ferrule system, some use a single ferrule system).

Alternatively he can buy new compression fittings for the whole thing at increased cost.

The ferrules are the part that are mechanically compressed onto the smooth pipe to form a leak-tight seal. He will need new ferrules. If he cuts off the pipe of the old one, he can re-use the nut, otherwise a new nut will also be needed as the nut is captured onto the pipe by the ferrules. Important to make sure you get the same kind of ferrules for the fitting (e.g. some fittings like Swagelok use a double ferrule system, some use a single ferrule system).

Alternatively he can buy new compression fittings for the whole thing at increased cost.
Thanks much....this is, basically, what I was afraid of.

Probably will just hire a plumber. The old unit was under warranty, so I'd still come out ahead. We've had a couple of "water events" in our house, and probably would sleep better if a professional was involved on this one.

Ron Wanttaja

We've had a couple of "water events" in our house, and probably would sleep better if a professional was involved on this one.

Compression fittings are pretty straight forward to install but, as you imply, the water system inside your house might not be the best place to learn! Always worth it to spend a little money for peace of mind IMHO.

Good luck!

Say, while we're kinda near the subject... I think I need a new Pressure Regulator Valve. Like Ron, it seems like there will be vastly increased peace of mind if I pay the nice professional versus saving the money by doing it myself and lose the sleep waiting for the sound of the waterfall. Thoughts here?

Back