IAD Tonight

Nathan Miller

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Nathan
"You've never heard of the Cessna Skyhawk?…It's the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs."

Screenshot_20200502-215439_FlightAware4.jpg

I got bored tonight, so I flew a round-robin from Manassas including a touch-and-go and Dulles. Figured I would swing in for a low-approach. Next thing I know, Dulles' tower said "Cleared for the option"

:confused:

Whaaa?? Sweet! Let's make it a touch and go! Wheee!

iad.jpg

It's been a good day

Last edited:
KIAD Reminiscences : I remember flying into KIAD in my Skyhawk in the '70s. They actually looked forward to having me take my instrument students there for practice! You could park in the grass (YES, grass) outside the main terminal and go in for a coke. One time my parents flew in from the west coast and I parked the Hawk outside the main terminal, collected them and their baggage, and flew back to my home base in Maryland. No big deal! But then one could also make a scenic flight up the Potomac River to see the capitol lit up at night too!! I flew the Skyhawk into DCA for several consecutive days to attend a conference in Crystal City...a hoot! "Keep your speed up...727 on 5 mile final...caution, wake turbulence 727 ahead"...!!! And got my SES rating in a C-150 docked in the marina off the south end of DCA's rwy 1/19. Those were the days...!!! Glad you had a good time at IAD!! Lots of lights!!!

Nice job. That photo is a keeper!

I was based at IAD for years (back when the FBO was Hawthorn). It was a sleepy little airport most of the time and only a few miles from my house. The prices went steadily up. To keep your plane on the ramp (not even an assigned space) went up to twice what hangars were going for at CJR.

KIAD Reminiscences :

Amazing! My first ride in a GA plane was in a Grumman Tiger based at DCA! Parked right out in the ramp. And then, 15y later I got my PPL at IAD in 1993. You couldn't do touch and goes there, but 19L/1R was a routine. Sigh... the good ole days.

Amazing! My first ride in a GA plane was in a Grumman Tiger based at DCA! Parked right out in the ramp. And then, 15y later I got my PPL at IAD in 1993. You couldn't do touch and goes there, but 19L/1R was a routine. Sigh... the good ole days.
It was so nice flying into the parallel in a 170 with the Concorde.

Back