$100 hamburger in COVID-19 times (video)

Martin Pauly

Line Up and Wait
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Martin Pauly
Most airports are open, but you can't eat at the on-field restaurant right now. What to do? On an absolutely gorgeous day last weekend, Beckey and I specifically looked for one last weekend that was quiet (to avoid the word 'dead') for a picnic, in lieu of the $100 hamburger (or $100 Eggs Benedict) we would have normally gotten.

All of which shows you can fly to a nice meal while complying with all social distancing guidelines.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Now is the time to dig deeper on your research .there still are on field restaurants doing take out. they need your support now more than ever.

Now is the time to dig deeper on your research .there still are on field restaurants doing take out. they need your support now more than ever.
I would like to explore this option as well. Some popular ones not too far from me offer take-out, like Madison WI, Janesville WI or Schaumburg IL. However, I don't know if I would be welcome to set up camp next to my airplane at those places and eat my food there - especially at the towered fields. Maybe I am overly concerned?

- Martin

I would like to explore this option as well. Some popular ones not too far from me offer take-out, like Madison WI, Janesville WI or Schaumburg IL. However, I don't know if I would be welcome to set up camp next to my airplane at those places and eat my food there - especially at the towered fields. Maybe I am overly concerned?

- Martin

let 'em know you're martin pauly, youtuber extraordinaire!

The Runway Cafe at KLBX is open for takeout on Saturdays. Last Saturday they had 58 planes on the ramp at one time including a P-51, a couple of T-6’s, a Beech 19, a Christian Eagle, and on and on.

I’m repairing , repainting all the plastics on my interior for the annual so it was fun to see everyone for a change.

- Martin
Some of the places down here have been actively encouraging it. Not sure if they're open during this, but The Flight Deck at Rochelle (KRPJ) was great in March, right before all of this shut everything down. Definitely a worthy stop

Fun video, Martin. Thanks for posting.

Going to try it too now, but we’ll just get a take out from the $100 burger restaurant and eat it plane side like you guys did. Cool video, thanks for the inspiration!

We did a variation today - no cameras this time; we went to Mason City IA (KMCW) and ordered take-out at the on-site restaurant "Patriot Wings". We enjoyed a very tasty meal at the airport, a couple of notches up from my egg sandwiches. I checked several on-field restaurants in a 150NM radius; most of them seem to be closed for the time being, so I was happy to find this one with curbside service.

- Martin

Awesome idea and video!

I took my son to the hangar to work on a project car (which we've done for the last few months). Wings Cafe at Fullerton Municipal (KFUL) opened on May 1 for take-out food (and GrubHub and DoorDash). I took my son for his first visit to Wings and he really enjoyed the food and the motif (aviation, of course). He is looking forward to take-out lunches now from Wings and making the hangar a "man cave." Now if I can only convince him to fly with me...

Most airports are open, but you can't eat at the on-field restaurant right now. What to do? On an absolutely gorgeous day last weekend, Beckey and I specifically looked for one last weekend that was quiet (to avoid the word 'dead') for a picnic, in lieu of the $100 hamburger (or $100 Eggs Benedict) we would have normally gotten.

All of which shows you can fly to a nice meal while complying with all social distancing guidelines.

Enjoy!

I live there. :)

Next time (when the picnic tables are open), you can walk to the nice green Tree covered park a short walk from there! It’s just off the airport access road so no worries about getting hit.

Has anyone heard if Quincy, IL is doing food? They’re a short flight and I hear rumors they’re letting people sit inside...although an airplane wing or table wouldn’t be bad either.

Has anyone heard if Quincy, IL is doing food? They’re a short flight and I hear rumors they’re letting people sit inside...although an airplane wing or table wouldn’t be bad either.

That's interesting... let me know what you find if you go.... I've been looking for a place to fly with the kids since our local restaurant at MTO is currently closed.

Back