Cost of small unairworthy jet engine?

455 Bravo Uniform

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
455 Bravo Uniform
I’m using quarantine time to rebuild an old big block engine I’ve had laying around for a while. Thinking about building an engine test stand too.

Then thought it would be cool to find a “junk” small turbine engine and figure out how they work and get it running. What do I look for, and how much will I waste for fun?

I’ve always wanted to find an old runout core of like an O-235 or something to disassemble and rebuild for the heck of it... still most are more than what I’d pay just to tinker with it.

I’ve always wanted to find an old runout core of like an O-235 or something to disassemble and rebuild for the heck of it... still most are more than what I’d pay just to tinker with it.
The problem is that a run out core probably has enough in service tolerance parts that can go into racing or industrial power applications to keep the prices up as spare parts donors.

If your mechanically inclined and have time and like fun build a pulse jet. Look cool. Super noisy!

but that seems outlandish now.
For OEM built engines they do tend to be a little pricey as there is value even in junked ones like the turbine supports and other items that tend not to get AFU'd. But if the exercise is strictly on the low end to see how they work then why not built a DYI version using an old car/truck turbo? A friend built one years ago that actually worked. He found some drawings online and ended up putting it on Youtube. I couldn't find his video but found the one below that is similar plus a number of other videos. I'll bet the drawing are still online somewhere.

For OEM built engines they do tend to be a little pricey as there is value even in junked ones like the turbine supports and other items that tend not to get AFU'd. But if the exercise is strictly on the low end to see how they work then why not built a DYI version using an old car/truck turbo? A friend built one years ago that actually worked. He found some drawings online and ended up putting it on Youtube. I couldn't find his video but found the one below that is similar plus a number of other videos. I'll bet the drawing are still online somewhere.
Gotta love the steadily-growing puddle of fuel. :rolleyes:

I may just do a pulse jet or turbo, good idea guys. I can get my hands on an old turbo off one of my Turbo Buick buds. I’ll post up something here if and when I do it.

I have done this, and have the remnants of the turbo when things didn't go well. It did run, was much louder than expected, and the burner can was the big PITA. Having a crappy oil system and essentially letting it run away made it into a paperweight. Fun while it lasted, and as 'real' of a turbojet as any other.

My brother used to test run jet engines on a test stand for Pratt Whitney. One day they had an engine "come from together" all at once in grandiose technicolor (ie, it exploded). Good thing they were behind really thick concrete walls and watching on a video camera.

But this wasn't exactly a small engine. It was a prototypes for the F35. I don't think they got the contract.

I don't really care to play around with jet engines on a test stand.

I have one in my parts plane that I’m giving to a kid in our neighborhood who wants to learn about engines and engineering. Don’t know what the engine sells for, but I got the plane for 1200. Some Garmin and King in the panel, and a new interior - dismantling it in the next few weeks. Everything but the wing spar is interchangeable with my 1B.

Got the parts plane a few months back - didn’t have a means to transport, so I built this gooseneck to go pick it up.

1AA1FC6D-8368-41B5-B85B-3E635A8B4E1A.jpeg

Back