• China

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
My work gave everyone a thermometer. They asked us to record out temperature 2 times a day.

Guess were the thermometer is from.

The 'Dont just stand there, do something' system at work.

While it will only catch a portion of those infected, it makes the company feel like they are doing something. PCR Testing you at your quarantine hotel 3 days before you go to camp would be the scientific way to make sure that nobody carries the infection to the island, but that would make too much sense.

Yeah I thought the whole temp testing thing wasn't really being done anymore since this can be transmitted asymptomatically...

Are they ID checking?

"Hey, buddy, I'm a little feverish, can you take your temperature for me?"

Yeah I thought the whole temp testing thing wasn't really being done anymore since this can be transmitted asymptomatically...

I mean isn't it better than nothing as long as it isn't used as a justification to not implement other protective measures (e.g. proper PPE, social distancing capability in the workplace, etc.)/provides a false sense of security? Early detection and of infection and isolation for the portion of people that will be symptomatic is just one more layer of protection.

At minimum, regularly recording your temperature gives you a better idea of your normal body baseline temperature so you have a better idea when you might be getting a low-grade fever. I took my temperature daily for a few weeks and found my body temperature is typically quite low (in the mornings typically 96.6-97F, about 1 degree warmer in the evening). A body temp of 99.5F for me might mean I am getting a low-grade fever and should self-isolate, even if I don't hit the 100.4F typical cutoff.

I mean isn't it better than nothing as long as it isn't used as a justification to not implement other protective measures (e.g. proper PPE, social distancing capability in the workplace, etc.)/provides a false sense of security? Early detection and of infection and isolation for the portion of people that will be symptomatic is just one more layer of protection.

At minimum, regularly recording your temperature gives you a better idea of your normal body baseline temperature so you have a better idea when you might be getting a low-grade fever. I took my temperature daily for a few weeks and found my body temperature is typically quite low (in the mornings typically 96.6-97F, about 1 degree warmer in the evening). A body temp of 99.5F for me might mean I am getting a low-grade fever even if I don't hit the 100.4F typical cutoff.
Certainly better than nothing

A lot of folks out of work due to COVID-19 would GLADLY take their temperature 2X a day just to be working and putting food on the table. Consider yourself lucky to still be employed.

None of the methods to screen for the disease is 100%. The PCR test has false negatives, some patients present without fever but respiratory symptoms and others have neither a fever nor respiratory symptoms. Checking temps allows you to screen out some individuals who may not have shown up on the radar otherwise.

My work gave everyone a thermometer. They asked us to record out temperature 2 times a day.

IR thermometer where you take your temperature in your ear.??

Or an old mercury thermometer and you take your temperature the baby way.??

I would put the thermometer against a light bulb until it hits 120, then show it to the boss....On second thought, I tried that to get out of school once. Mom didn't buy it...

Well the right and does not know what the left hand is doing. I called work and asked when I was to report back for work. I was told buy my supervisor the 19th, the maintenance manager then told me the 26th.

So the manager is going to get back with me with an answer later today, "Continue taking your temp 2 times a day"..... I'm sitting here :lol::lol:

IR thermometer where you take your temperature in your ear.??

Or an old mercury thermometer and you take your temperature the baby way.??

I would put the thermometer against a light bulb until it hits 120, then show it to the boss....On second thought, I tried that to get out of school once. Mom didn't buy it...
The secret to getting out of school was to get a verdict from the school nurse. If the nurse sends you home, parents are much more likely to believe you're sick. The secret to defeating the school nurse was to claim a severe migraine, blurred vision, cover up your eyes and say the light hurts..etc. There was no way for a nurse to disprove it..nurse puts you in a dark room for 20 minutes then asks if it still hurts afterwords. Say yes and you're sent home.

If you claimed anything else, school nurse would check your temperature and then send you back to the classroom if it was fine. Migraine was the ticket.

Defeating the parents was doable too. You had to pin it on equipment failure though. State your alarm clock failed to work. Parents will then immediately test it. If it fails to work, you're off the hook, and they just complain about cheap overseas electronics.

The secret to failing the alarm clock was to disassemble it and disconnect the speaker. You couldn't use this trick too often though....and you needed to live in a house where your parents worked 12 hour shifts (through the night).

You could stay up late..parents at work...all is well. They'd come home around 6am (prior to your wakeup time) and immediately pass out..and then you'd just all sleep in. Once parent would awake around 2PM and discover you're still home..you blame that alarm clock.

So, you checked off the "history of frequent migraines" on the FAA medical form, right? ;)
Care to point me to the part of my posts that stated this was done by me? You won't find it. Not my first rodeo.

I've always wanted to actually be in a rodeo, so I could legitimately say "Hey, not my first rodeo"...

Defeating the parents was doable too. You had to pin it on equipment failure though. State your alarm clock failed to work. Parents will then immediately test it. If it fails to work, you're off the hook, and they just complain about cheap overseas electronics.

The secret to failing the alarm clock was to disassemble it and disconnect the speaker. You couldn't use this trick too often though....and you needed to live in a house where your parents worked 12 hour shifts (through the night).

You could stay up late..parents at work...all is well. They'd come home around 6am (prior to your wakeup time) and immediately pass out..and then you'd just all sleep in. Once parent would awake around 2PM and discover you're still home..you blame that alarm clock.

What Jesse doesn't mention is that he was three years old when he figured out how to re-wire the alarm clock.

Rich

I don’t think faking to get out of school is a reportable issue
It could lead to reportable issues..:rolleyes:
edit: Dave how do you like the way the taxi situation in Juneau? Boy they really got taxi ways all messed up with the construction. If this was a regular tourist season it would be a mad house.

Reminds me of the old joke: Q: How can you tell the difference between an oral and rectal thermometer? A: The taste.

I always wear a hat when I'm out. It's an old military habit I never got out of. So I have to take it off to get my forehead zapped.

Whenever a door checker tells me that they need to take my temperature, I start unbuckling my belt and turning around. It's good for a laugh. Usually.

Rich

Hmmmm.... report your temperature as 89.6f and see if anyone notices....

Perhaps not, but it does go a ways to indicate character.
A third grader not wanting to goto school is an indicator of character issues with that third grader? Uh huh.

Glad I decided to spend some time contributing on this forum today. Doubt I'll make that mistake tomorrow.

A third grader not wanting to goto school is an indicator of character issues with that third grader? Uh huh.

Glad I decided to spend some time contributing on this forum today. Doubt I'll make that mistake tomorrow.

Curious why you would ignore, then take the trouble to trim out, the smiley guy emoji... Perhaps it plays well to the victim mentality on display here?

At the nursing home, they take temps as the employees drive in. I pull up and roll my window down and the guy sticks the thermometer on my forehead and clicks the button... it must’ve read too high the first go around so he asks if I have my heat on in the car. As a matter of fact it was on low. I stick my head out into the cool breeze just a smidge and he takes it again and waves me through. It’s really a joke.

Curious why you would ignore, then take the trouble to trim out, the smiley guy emoji... Perhaps it plays well to the victim mentality on display here?
I copy and pasted. Adding a smiley to the end of a ridiculous statement does not change the statement. Anyhow, I assure you...that I am not a "victim" of you..nor will I ever be. I'm done with this thread. If you want to take it up with me further, feel free to drop me a DM.

At the nursing home, they take temps as the employees drive in. I pull up and roll my window down and the guy sticks the thermometer on my forehead and clicks the button... it must’ve read too high the first go around so he asks if I have my heat on in the car. As a matter of fact it was on low. I stick my head out into the cool breeze just a smidge and he takes it again and waves me through. It’s really a joke.
With temporal forehead thermometers I thought you were supposed to sweep it across the artery?

Unless it's a contact-less infrared. In that case they're supposed to aim it at your forehead and pull a trigger, not touch it.

Unless it's a contact-less infrared. In that case they're supposed to aim it at your forehead and pull a trigger, not touch it.
That is the kind.

I copy and pasted. Adding a smiley to the end of a ridiculous statement does not change the statement. Anyhow, I assure you...that I am not a "victim" of you..nor will I ever be. I'm done with this thread. If you want to take it up with me further, feel free to drop me a DM.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Back