Airventure 2020 cancelled

Nathan Miller

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Nathan
Just got an email from EAA. Airventure 2020 has been officially cancelled :(

Website to be updated shortly.

With all the states opening back up I had a sliver of hope but this news is not unexpected.

I'm sad... disappointed... but I also understand EAA's decision.

- Martin

who's organizing the week-long protest...………..to be held at Oshkosh.......3rd week in June?

If I get Corona I get Corona. At the end of the day it's not going to stop me from going to Oshkosh.

Expected but still a bummer. It will be interesting to see how OSH2021 is planned out in response to whatever the norm is at that point.

With all the states opening back up I had a sliver of hope but this news is not unexpected.
Well, some are "sort of" opening up; Ohio is easing restrictions on doctors/dentists/veterinarians, but otherwise has extended the stay-at-home four more weeks.

The problem is it takes more than just things "being open" to move these big events forward.

Lifting lock downs does not equal return to normal. States can mandate shut downs and states can lift those mandates. States cannot mandate the people to go out and gather. And a large number of people are not going to go out and gather until some kind of reliable immunity is available regardless of what the state says.

Lifting lock downs does not equal return to normal. States can mandate shut downs and states can lift those mandates. States cannot mandate the people to go out and gather. And a large number of people are not going to go out and gather until some kind of reliable immunity is available regardless of what the state says.
Right, you not only need attendees for Oshkosh but a whole slew of volunteers to want to travel there. While the bulk show up toward the end of July, there are also substantial prep work that needs doing (both in Oshkosh and elsewhere). I suspect we finally hit the decision date. The worst thing you want is to leave it open and have it fall apart when it happens due to lack of staffing, etc... It could also be a fiscal nightmare if the exhibitors and/or attendees don't end up showing.

Last I checked (and this was over a decade ago), the EAA nets a couple of mil on an $10 million gross for the show, so it wouldn't be hard to turn it into a financial disaster.

Well, there goes the entire summer...
I have been holding out hope that things could get back to some sort of “Normal” soon, but I guess not.

until liability issues are resolved, we could never see large events in the US again.

Dammit...
I was hoping this could still happen, being largely an outdoor event. Was really looking forward to my first solo flyin and camping adventure.

Well, shucks. Nothing says this group couldn't start a "virtual" Oshkosh. Say an hour or two on Zoom (you should pardon the reference) every day on the last week of July. Just a thought, mindya ...

The real problem would be if Zoom showed up on Zoom.

I don't find it as even a little bit of a suprise....not a bit.....but it's odd....when I received the email I still had a kinda mourning feeling of shock.....like I got the news that someone I know died...well not quite that strong, but illustrates my point...

If I had planned on going, I’d probably go anyway. But I couldn’t this year. Will be interesting to see if anyone else feels this way and shows up anyway.

Dammit...
I was hoping this could still happen, being largely an outdoor event. Was really looking forward to my first solo flyin and camping adventure.
Being outdoors means nothing. Being in close proximity with others means everything. And there's a lot of that at OSH.

Not surprised and probably the right thing to do for both health and financial reasons, but still hating seeing the email this morning. :(

If I had planned on going, I’d probably go anyway. But I couldn’t this year. Will be interesting to see if anyone else feels this way and shows up anyway.
People are absolutely going to show up anyway. You can draw your own conclusions about whether that's a sign of dedication or stupidity.

I think you’ve watched too many zombie movies / tvshows.

People are absolutely going to show up anyway. You can draw your own conclusions about whether that's a sign of dedication or stupidity.
And they'll just be told to go home. Schoeller won't be open and while you can possibly find some spots on the grass to park, it won't be mowed/hayed most likely down south. I guess you can sit in the North 40 and twiddle your thumbs.

Today, both things I build my summer around were cancelled. I'm not a big runner, but I always get in shape and run the Peachtree Road Race in Atlanta on July 4th. It is a spectacular event, with a fly-over, the National Anthem, and 60,000 runners running through the city past huge crowds lining the street, waiving flags, etc. Depending on how serious you are as a runner, you can choose your own experience. I'm slow enough that I high five lots of kids along the sidewalks and generally cross the finish line drinking a beer a spectator handed me. It is an amazing patriotic event from my perspective. They rescheduled for Thanksgiving this year, which just ain't the same (and can be cold). And Airventure. Man, I enjoy Airventure. There are many people I only see once a year.

Both events needed to be moved/cancelled, but I hate it...

This year was to be my first, just like Sun and Fun. Oh well, there is always next year.

Already talking about it. A day trip, take a few photos, and head back south...

Today, both things I build my summer around were cancelled. I'm not a big runner, but I always get in shape and run the Peachtree Road Race in Atlanta on July 4th. It is a spectacular event, with a fly-over, the National Anthem, and 60,000 runners running through the city past huge crowds lining the street, waiving flags, etc. Depending on how serious you are as a runner, you can choose your own experience. I'm slow enough that I high five lots of kids along the sidewalks and generally cross the finish line drinking a beer a spectator handed me. It is an amazing patriotic event from my perspective. They rescheduled for Thanksgiving this year, which just ain't the same (and can be cold). And Airventure. Man, I enjoy Airventure. There are many people I only see once a year.

Both events needed to be moved/cancelled, but I hate it...

Yup, got that email too. :( See you on Thanksgiving.

Back