Class B, VFR or IFR?

IMG_20171124_131444410 (Copy).jpg ATL has allowed me to fly VFR through their class B a time or two, And I may ask for a touch and go, or full stop taxi back, some time in the very near future.

I've gone VFR through ATL. It's odd how some of the busiest (if not the busiest) class B's are more friendly to such than some of the sleeper ones.

Landed VFR at LAX the other day. As a non-ifr pilot, it was a total non-event in terms of getting clearance from SoCal, following assigned headings and altitude then lining up on 25L.
Touch n gos are prohibited at LAX. Full stop taxi back operations are not. Dunno about low approaches.
Landing fees only apply to air carrier ops and cargo. It's in the regulations. Yet, there are still people out there, who mistakenly believe that GA pilots must taxi to an FBO to pay landing fees. There are no landing fees applicable to us at LAX. There is, however, ramp fee that applies as soon as your little Cessna wheels touch the surface of the ramp and the FBO has every right to collect such ramp fees. That does not mean you have to let the controller bully you into taxiing to an FBO to pay "landing fees" (their words, not mine). Ask me how I know...

It was funny when on departure tower asked "can you accept intersection take off, you have 7000 feet remaining" :D
I really want to get in a landing VFR at LAX this week and just taxi back. Just trying to figure out the right time of day to get in and out with minimal delay/hassle. Was ground pretty accommodating with the request for taxi back or did they give you a hard time about it? & any other tips you can offer getting in and out of LAX? They’d be much appreciated.

Just trying to figure out the right time of day to get in and out with minimal delay/hassle.
I flew to LAX on a Sunday around 2p. At 6 miles out I heard a Delta and on short final I heard another (maybe United). I heard and saw no other traffic while I was on the ground. Heard and saw a Spirit when I was on my take off roll.
Last weekend I was near LAX and saw a Southwest and an Alaska taking off right after each other (around 3p) and then for many long minutes did not see any other traffic. Then a couple of cargo planes.
Long winded way of saying traffic is nothing compared to what it used to be so I wouldn't worry about that. My friend flew there recently and they made her do 3 circles around DTLA before they let her fly towards the airport.

Was ground pretty accommodating with the request for taxi back or did they give you a hard time about it?
My case is different. You see I didn't do my homework (regarding fees) and I just landed there and requested a taxi back and ground said you need to taxi to FBO to pay landing fee. I told ground I don't need to use the FBO and what landing fee?

Ground: airport ops, are you on frequency?
Op: yeah
Ground: the Cessna on your left, does she need to go to an FBO to pay a landing fee?
Op: yeah, she must taxi to FBO to pay the landing fee, it's in the regulations.
Ground: Cessna, did you hear that? Turn right and taxi to either Atlantic or Signature.

Who am I to start an argument on air with the controller, so I taxi to Atlantic. Park, get out, go inside: I'm here to pay my landing fee. Woman behind the counter: we don't charge landing fee, we only charge ramp fees, you see that piece of asphalt where your plane is parked? That's our property and we charge you for using it, $140.
:eek:

I negotiate the price down and pay. Go out, airport op guy sitting in the car outside. Hey, what regulation were you talking about? He starts throwing around regulation numbers and city code references.... all sounded very convincing.

I left, I went home and I did my research. That is when I found that there is no regulation that says landing fees apply to GA. I also found the regulation that does not prohibit taxi back operations. And I also found the phone number for the airport manager.

Great guy, a pilot himself, had a very nice long chat.
Turns out what ground and airport op guy did to me was wrong (I mean like illegal and unlawful "wrong"). He reached out to FBO, who refunded my money. He said controllers and airport ops people will be sent a memo instructing them to stop forcing GA traffic to FBOs to pay landing fees.

I haven't been there since, so I don't know if things changed...:cool:

I flew to LAX on a Sunday around 2p. At 6 miles out I heard a Delta and on short final I heard another (maybe United). I heard and saw no other traffic while I was on the ground. Heard and saw a Spirit when I was on my take off roll.
Last weekend I was near LAX and saw a Southwest and an Alaska taking off right after each other (around 3p) and then for many long minutes did not see any other traffic. Then a couple of cargo planes.
Long winded way of saying traffic is nothing compared to what it used to be so I wouldn't worry about that. My friend flew there recently and they made her do 3 circles around DTLA before they let her fly towards the airport.

My case is different. You see I didn't do my homework (regarding fees) and I just landed there and requested a taxi back and ground said you need to taxi to FBO to pay landing fee. I told ground I don't need to use the FBO and what landing fee?

Ground: airport ops, are you on frequency?
Op: yeah
Ground: the Cessna on your left, does she need to go to an FBO to pay a landing fee?
Op: yeah, she must taxi to FBO to pay the landing fee, it's in the regulations.
Ground: Cessna, did you hear that? Turn right and taxi to either Atlantic or Signature.

Who am I to start an argument on air with the controller, so I taxi to Atlantic. Park, get out, go inside: I'm here to pay my landing fee. Woman behind the counter: we don't charge landing fee, we only charge ramp fees, you see that piece of asphalt where your plane is parked? That's our property and we charge you for using it, $140.
:eek:

I negotiate the price down and pay. Go out, airport op guy sitting in the car outside. Hey, what regulation were you talking about? He starts throwing around regulation numbers and city code references.... all sounded very convincing.

I left, I went home and I did my research. That is when I found that there is no regulation that says landing fees apply to GA. I also found the regulation that does not prohibit taxi back operations. And I also found the phone number for the airport manager.

Great guy, a pilot himself, had a very nice long chat.
Turns out what ground and airport op guy did to me was wrong (I mean like illegal and unlawful "wrong"). He reached out to FBO, who refunded my money. He said controllers and airport ops people will be sent a memo instructing them to stop forcing GA traffic to FBOs to pay landing fees.

I haven't been there since, so I don't know if things changed...:cool:
Sucks that they hassled you for a fee that doesn’t exist but at least you got that money back. I’m doing my homework on this one too and have finding the same information. I hate that it seems to such a daunting task going to these class Bravo airports but like everybody else, I feel if I’m ever going to do it, might as well do it now.

Thanks for all the info!

Back