Howdy Y'all :)

FLEXCopMNPD

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Murphy
Howdy from Music City USA, Nashville, TN. :)

My name is Brian Murphy, and I am an Aviation-aholic.

I've been flying off and on since the early 90's, more off than on due to life, and have recently started back. I finished my Private back in 2008 after starting it in '92. A couple of Post 9/11 deployments put flying on the back burner but I have recently started back up. I have a whopping 85.2 hours under my belt. I have been working on my Instrument Rating with the goal of getting my Commercial, Multi, and possibly CFI,II ratings as an early retirement present to myself.

I am currently an active Police Officer in Nashville with about 5 years left till retirement. I have a little over 2 years left before I can retire from the Army Guard, mostly likely as a Captain, but who knows if the promotion gods will smile down on me. Been married for almost 20 years now, have no idea why she puts up with me. Have three great kids, two boys I guess men since they are 24 and 22 and both active military, and a girl, 13 going on 30, who is still at home. One grandson so far, he's two, that I am training to be Grandpa's flying buddy.

I love all things aviation. I started building an RV8 that has turned into a really really slow build. My wife "organized" my garage during one of my deployments, which has made finding pieces kind of a treasure hunt. Someday I will finish. Who knows...lol

As I currently am renting I have been looking harder and harder at buying my own airplane. I know owning opens up a whole new can of worms, but it seems like it can also solve a bunch of the issues of renting. My eyes have been lusting over the v-tail Bonanzas. Such a beautiful airplane. Doesn't help that the Beechcraft Museum is just a short ride south of Nashville. :)

Welcome Brian, good stuff, hope you find an airplane, or the parts to finish the one you already own, lol.

Welcome! We’re not far, I’m down in Chattanooga!

Welcome, vtails are a fine plane and the answer to any "what plane should I get" thread will be Vtail. So just go ahead and get you one. I was stubborn and started with a piper but have come to the vtail dark side. A few of us on here have all met up at the museum. Im sure we will make that trek again. Again welcome from north Mississippi.

Welcome, vtails are a fine plane and the answer to any "what plane should I get" thread will be Vtail. So just go ahead and get you one. I was stubborn and started with a piper but have come to the vtail dark side. A few of us on here have all met up at the museum. Im sure we will make that trek again. Again welcome from north Mississippi.
Definitely let me know when you all make it up there again. I flew in to Tullahoma during the AOPA Fly-In with a friend from my EAA Chapter and it was amazing.

Thanks Ryan. I am down that neck of the woods in Dunlap once a month for drill. I command the Combat Engineer Company down there. :)
Cool. I flew over that way last week. Went up to RNC.

Brian: welcome to our decidedly cool sandbox.

Chalk up another vote for the awesomeness that is Bonanza!

I am trying to remain level headed and take my time looking at planes. But the kid in me wants to just rush out and buy one...lol

Howdy from Music City USA, Nashville, TN. :)

My name is Brian Murphy, and I am an Aviation-aholic.

I've been flying off and on since the early 90's, more off than on due to life, and have recently started back. I finished my Private back in 2008 after starting it in '92. A couple of Post 9/11 deployments put flying on the back burner but I have recently started back up. I have a whopping 85.2 hours under my belt. I have been working on my Instrument Rating with the goal of getting my Commercial, Multi, and possibly CFI,II ratings as an early retirement present to myself.

I am currently an active Police Officer in Nashville with about 5 years left till retirement. I have a little over 2 years left before I can retire from the Army Guard, mostly likely as a Captain, but who knows if the promotion gods will smile down on me. Been married for almost 20 years now, have no idea why she puts up with me. Have three great kids, two boys I guess men since they are 24 and 22 and both active military, and a girl, 13 going on 30, who is still at home. One grandson so far, he's two, that I am training to be Grandpa's flying buddy.

I love all things aviation. I started building an RV8 that has turned into a really really slow build. My wife "organized" my garage during one of my deployments, which has made finding pieces kind of a treasure hunt. Someday I will finish. Who knows...lol

As I currently am renting I have been looking harder and harder at buying my own airplane. I know owning opens up a whole new can of worms, but it seems like it can also solve a bunch of the issues of renting. My eyes have been lusting over the v-tail Bonanzas. Such a beautiful airplane. Doesn't help that the Beechcraft Museum is just a short ride south of Nashville. :)
Welcome

Hi Brian! I just discovered this forum. I fly a VANS RV9A. Good luck with the build! Just started a YouTube channel (The Flight Level) as I love video editing with my interest in flying in both the real and simulated world.

I am trying to remain level headed and take my time looking at planes. But the kid in me wants to just rush out and buy one...lol

I'm thinking it's probably not a bad time to find a good deal.

Welcome Brian, you may think about joining Beech Talk. Lot's of V tail folks on that forum

Welcome. Fellow cop here in North Dallas area.

Dont get caught up in the so-called hype of v-tail Bonanzas. Buy a legit plane like a Cessna 210. :D

Welcome Brian. It is possible to live life well without a Bonanza ;), although I am lusting after the two seat version these days (T-34). I'm between Murfreesboro and Lebanon so pretty close. Got up today and spent 0.5 socially distancing in my Citabria. Which airport do you fly out of?

Welcome Brian. It is possible to live life well without a Bonanza ;), although I am lusting after the two seat version these days (T-34). I'm between Murfreesboro and Lebanon so pretty close. Got up today and spent 0.5 socially distancing in my Citabria. Which airport do you fly out of?

I normally fly out of Smyrna. All this corona crap has put a damper on that though.

Hi Brian! I just discovered this forum. I fly a VANS RV9A. Good luck with the build! Just started a YouTube channel (The Flight Level) as I love video editing with my interest in flying in both the real and simulated world.
I started building an RV8 about 10 years ago but military deployments had put it on the back burner. My wife “organized” my garage and I haven’t made the time to find all the pieces.

Probably not convenient, but the folks at Shelbyville are still flying.
I used to fly out of Shelbyville about 10 years ago. It’s a haul from Antioch. Smyrna is closer. Have flown out of MBT a time or two as well.

Back