At what point do the nerves calm down?

KLVK is a training center for controllers. Sometimes you can tell....

EVERY ATC facility is a training center for controllers. It isn't like we go to Oklahoma City, pass the tests and then go to a "training center" because they don't exist. You go where you're assigned and you're in training until you get rated, then you can work by yourself until you get a trainee. If you leave for another facility, you go into training again. The ones you really hear screw up are either really bad controllers or new trainees at their first facility.

You'll probably just start to get more and more comfortable each time you go up. You probably are looking for a more concrete answer though. For me it was after about 3 solo flights and one of those being to a new airport. Make sure you never get too comfortable though...that's when mistakes are made.

Congrats on the solos by the way

I think it depends on the stage of life that you are in when you begin training. I was 17 years old when I started my PPL training, soloed at 17, and got my PPL at 18. To be honest, I was never nervous or had any doubt that I was ready to solo after my discovery flight. That attitude is not a good thing. I thank my lucky stars that I survived my first few years of flying (at least until I got out of college). I am not sure that most high school kids should be allowed to fly, after knowing how I was. Maybe the FAA should devise some sort of "maturity test" before allowing a 17 year old to get a PPL. I would have failed I am sure.

Fast forward to 57 years old and I believe that I have a healthy amount of "nervousness" or "anxiety" before every flight, especially in less than ideal conditions. In essence, I have become a more cautious pilot as I have gotten older.

Bottom line, in my humble opinion, if you ever get to the point that you never have ANY anxieties about flying or getting in your airplane, then maybe you need to re-think about flying that day. You don't want it to be debilitating by any means, just a healthy level of respect over what you have been trained to do and are about to embark on.

Generally, once we are in the air, the anxieties disappear to be replaced by the shear exhilaration of how lucky we are to be able to fly. Have fun and don't worry about your worrying!

Back