Finished The G5 HSI

Nathan Miller

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Nathan
-GMA 345 Audio Panel and adding rear headset jacks
-GTR 225 Comm
-G5 HSI with all the accoutrements (Magnetometer, data converter, temp probe) and interfaced with the existing GNX 375 GPS/ADS-B transponder.
-out-of-scope pop-up work for cowling fixes. It was "fun" learning how to fiberglass and paint. Ugh. Left a lot to be desired, but its strong and in much better shape.

24 work days out of 34. Seems like a long time, but I was learning as I went.

IA signed it off and submitted the 337 to the FAA. Post install flight test, I'm happy to report, was flawless.

I only had one goof in the entire install, and this was caught last week - When I went to do an ops check the Comms with my hand held radio, My Com 2 (original Collins VHF 250) wasn't transmitting, it wasn't receiving. Hmm.. like it has no power. I had the 2nd VHF-250 that I removed, so I swapped the units and it didn't fix anything. Out came the volt meter - Power at the breaker, power at the harness. No power at the power supply in the tail (PWC-150 .. more of a voltage converter). This is 1970s technology at it's finest :) Power (14 or 28v comes into the Com on Pin 16. It goes to the on/off switch (Volume Knob) and passes power out to Pin 10. For airplanes running 14V, the installer will put a jumper in the harness connecting Pins 10 & 11. For 28V planes, pin 10 will run to the power converter and return 14v on pin 11. With the Com removed, I ohm out pins 16 and 10 and with the power switch on, I have continuity. I turn my attention back to the harness and (with the master off), I ground out pin 10. I then check continuity between the 28v input on the PWC-150 and ground and it's good. (I ungrounded pin 10 and verify the 28v input on the PWC-150 no longer has continuity to ground. This last step was kind of useless - after all, if it were grounded, a breaker would have popped. But, it was getting late and I wanted to leave nothing to chance :))

Then I happen upon this observation:Trays.jpg
(Click for full size)

Nav 1 is on top, Com 2 is below (Ignore the C1 sharpie mark - I put that on there when I was tearing everything apart and I remarked it after I took this picture.

Notice how the Nav connector is mounted differently than the Com connector :rolleyes:

Other than that, everything worked the first time. (Much to my surprise!)

Here is the original IP after I had the dealer install the GNX 375 (I requested they install it at the top of the stack :rolleyes:)
Resized_20200202_163420.jpeg
And Post G5 / Audio Panel / Comm
20200416_175905_4MP.jpg
Note the lack of wind data - I was on Approach to an airport that had a compass rose and my IA and I used that to swing the compass and calibrate the magnetometer. Post-calibration, wind data came online. Also, it's worth noting that a compass rose isn't necessary to calibrate the magnetometer like I originally thought. All that's required is you line up within 5° of North and the G5 will instruct you to start a slow turn to the right followed by a hold. Slow turn to the right, followed by a hold. I thought these turns had to be to a specific heading. And they probably do, of course, but you don't need to pay attention to the heading - just the instructions the G5 gives you. It couldn't have been easier. Knowing this, I would have calibrated the magnetometer (without a compass rose) before my test flight!

I'm elated to have this process wrapped up. I look forward to my IFR flight training (whenever the pandemic starts getting under control and the stay-at-home orders are lifted.) It's been a wild ride and I thank everyone for their input whenever I posted a question. You all have been fantastic and indispensable and I look forward to paying it forward.

Nathan

I should mention that during the test flight, I shot an ILS and an RNAV LPV approach and everything is behaving as expected - Again, no expert here :) The Localizer needles had me on the centerline and the glideslopes correlated with the PAPIs at each airport.

Even though I didn't install the GNX 375, I requested an ADS-B performance report and it showed zero failures. Obviously, another big relief.

And asicer - more or less. 9 hour days, give or take. At least that's what I was "present" for. Was I productive during those 9 hour days?

...Eh.. maybe, .. 4.5 hours of productivity. The remainder - 30 mins of eating my ham sammiches, since I've been unemployed for a month now, maybe 4 hours of head scratching and/or helping my IA with other projects. Plus, on my days off, I was studying install manuals and documenting my wiring diagrams, so add a few hours back in for that .. . So, sure, we'll go with 200 hours. It's a nice, round number :)

Nice work.

Just a little tip. I like to write the pin numbers at the end of each row on the rack in pen or sharpie. If you end up with a wiring problem down the road, it makes it a whole lot easier to ID and ring a wire by looking at the connector from the front and counting up or down, instead of looking at a pin out and trying to turn stuff around inside your head.

We’re loving our G5 HSI as well Nathan. Only issue we had was that it was not receiving rs232 data when we knew we configured it. Pulled out the schematics and install data and wouldn’t you kno some dumba$$, ME, had the rs232 set up correctly but on the wrong channel. Got back in the confit mode on the 430 and fixed that and everything worked like a dream. Great piece of gear. The gad13 wasn’t out when we got all our stuff or that would have been part of it. If we don’t end up selling the plane to upgrade then I’ll most likely add that later.

Nice. The OAT and headwind/crosswind information is nice. A more professionally minded pilot would appreciate it more than I do. Maybe when this pandemic induced moratorium on flight training is over and I can train for my IFR, I'll see the pragmatic utility of it. Right now, I'm boring VFR holes in the sky ;)

Though, if/when IMC, I could see it being useful for ice avoidance and double checking the forecasted winds aloft vs actual. Maybe. (Most likely I'll be checking the GPS' ETE field against my flight plan.)

Also, check out post #16 in https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/g5-install-optional-gad-13.125572/#post-2907956

It'll save you $300 over ordering the temp probe kit and it's Garmin approved.

Maybe when this pandemic induced moratorium on flight training is over and I can train for my IFR, I'll see the pragmatic utility of it.
Freeway's open... :)

Back