Parking at an airport w/ no FBO

jono1223

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
jono1223
I’m getting into a Cessna partnership and I will be flying quite a few cross country’s. What are the typical fees you incur when flying to regional airports? I’m in the western U.S. (Utah, Idaho, Nevada, some California flying)

If a regional airport has parking spots but no FBO, are you able to park there with no fee..? How do you know you’re not in some local guys spot since there’s no FBO? Thanks for any help!

Iv only ever paid to land and tie down at Mackinaw island once, and one tie down fee in Montana, Iv never paid a dime besides gas and oil at any small airport with those two exceptions and it was $12... its not a significant expense in flying if you aren't going into big places..

Most of the airports I've been to will have signs on the pedestrian gate with the gate code and info about overnight parking, and an honor system drop box to pay for parking. If there's ever a question, every public use airport has a contact phone number listed in the chart supplement. You can even find it on Skyvector.com by right clicking the mouse with the cursor over the airport in question.

If no FBO, most only have a modest overnight parking fee for transient parking. Never had to pay for a day trip stop.

But please DO figure out where transient parking is. I used to have a tiedown on the end of a row and several times I retuned to find some yahoo parked in my spot because they did not bother to ask/figure out where transient parking was.

You need to research the airport website or call to find out. Google Earth is a great tool I use to scope out unfamiliar fields. If all else fails or unsure, just ask on Unicom/CTAF upon arrival. Someone is almost always listening.

Yeah a lot of the ones I’ve been to have spots designated ‘transient’, if not, than just pick a spot and tie down. If just staying for the day, I’ve never had to pay a dime.

It’s been my experience that most airports don’t have fees especially if there’s no FBO. Most of the ones that do waive it with fuel purchase.

Only way to know for sure is to call ahead though.

Funny how no one recognizes that where they are located makes a difference:

Cali: "most only have a modest overnight parking fee"

Midwest: "just pick a spot"; "most airports don’t have fees"

In California a typical overnight fee is around $6. There is usually a Dropbox near the fuel island with a envelope to pay. Or it may be on an adjacent building or hangar. If you can't find one don't worry about it. Worst case is someone will track you down by your n number and send you a bill for $6. Rarely enforced though.

The only place I've landed where a fee might be involved had that fee waived if you bought gas. As it was on the other side of the state from home I bought gas (each time I've been there) so I've never paid to tie down. Everywhere else I've flown I haven't spent the night. The only place where there might have been any question about where transient tie downs were located has KFHR, and a quick on-line check resolved that matter. For me it really hasn't been an issue. I haven't been to that many different airports over the past 20 years.

Iv only ever paid to land and tie down at Mackinaw island once, and one tie down fee in Montana, Iv never paid a dime besides gas and oil at any small airport with those two exceptions and it was $12... its not a significant expense in flying if you aren't going into big places..

Mackinaw Island in Michigan is the only small airport in the Midwest where I've had to pay a fee.

The airport is in a state park, so they've got a park employee sitting in the airport building, specifically to collect fees. I suppose their thinking is that state parks typically collect a fee from campers spending the night in the park, and your plane is spending the night in the park ... so it should pay a fee.

Mackinaw island is a wonderful place to visit, by the way. It's a touristy summer vacation spot, with no cars on the island. When you arrive at the airport, you phone to get a ride from the airport to your hotel in a horse-drawn wagon.

Mackinaw Island in Michigan is the only small airport in the Midwest where I've had to pay a fee.

The airport is in a state park, so they've got a park employee sitting in the airport building, specifically to collect fees. I suppose their thinking is that state parks typically collect a fee from campers spending the night in the park, and your plane is spending the night in the park ... so it should pay a fee.

Mackinaw island is a wonderful place to visit, by the way. It's a touristy summer vacation spot, with no cars on the island. When you arrive at the airport, you phone to get a ride from the airport to your hotel in a horse-drawn wagon.

Yes it’s basically a state park. Certainly park workers not airport workers there... I went last June just to walk to town and get a lemonade and back. They popped on ctaf to request I park in the grass as the ramp was full of king airs and citations. Then this concerned voice pops back on asking if I’m very sure grass will be ok... I assured them. I go walking in the building and this kid comes running out and says, “ I seen you were a taildragger and wasn’t sure of that would damage your plane”

I said “kid, I appreciate that concern but that old bird would be happy parking, taxiing and taking off and landing in the grass, that black crap is for the other birds, that plane was made to land in a cow pasture”

I thought it was cute

Th gator on the numbers handles the landing fee. You’ll have to talk to the one on the ramp about parking.

It’s usually listed in the chart supplement or just give them a ring. Some Midwest airports I fly to do have an overnight ramp fee, but most are FBOs and waive it if you buy gas.

Florida: just ask the gator sunning itself on the runway numbers
I once had to make a go-around for the eight-footer crossing Runway 9L at Ft. Lauderdale Int'l. (KFLL). Don't discount the large crabs hiding in the grass just off the ramp either, they want their cut.

I’m getting into a Cessna partnership and I will be flying quite a few cross country’s. What are the typical fees you incur when flying to regional airports? I’m in the western U.S. (Utah, Idaho, Nevada, some California flying)

If a regional airport has parking spots but no FBO, are you able to park there with no fee..? How do you know you’re not in some local guys spot since there’s no FBO? Thanks for any help!

Cross countries are great fun! I usually fly coast to coast a couple times a year.

What do you mean by regional airports? That doesn't have any established meaning that I know of...

Check out: https://rampfee.me/

Paul

What do you mean by regional airports? That doesn't have any established meaning that I know of...

Neither does "...last call" but that does not stop people from saying it on frequency.

You say "regional airport" and that has a very clear picture in my mind of a busier D or Uncontrolled with a decent FBO and/or terminal with active GA services accommodating transient aircraft but not necessarily commercial carriers vs a Podunk airport or busier Charlie

Neither does "...last call" but that does not stop people from saying it on frequency.

You say "regional airport" and that has a very clear picture in my mind of a busier D or Uncontrolled with a decent FBO and/or terminal with active GA services accommodating transient aircraft but not necessarily commercial carriers vs a Podunk airport or busier Charlie

that's one definition... what makes you think it's what the OP had in mind? Hubris?

Nice you think you can read the OP's mind, but I'd rather hear what he had in mind... "the the" and all not withstanding.

Back