No room for error

With the stall horn blaring away all those times, I feel that AOA indicator coupled with the slip indicator is kind of mandatory to get into those tight places. It is interesting that the video does not show the takeoffs, which are probably also mighty interesting.

Beautiful backdrops and fantastic piloting...it's always fun to watch your videos. Thanks for posting them.

I love the paint scheme of your wings. Also, I enjoy your videos, especially the impossible turn one. Really drove home just how impossible it really is.

I notice that these approaches seemed to have been done in light winds. This probably brings both advantages and disadvantages and definitely some compelling flight and video.

I notice that these approaches seemed to have been done in light winds. This probably brings both advantages and disadvantages and definitely some compelling flight and video.

I think calm winds are more advantage than disadvantage. Relying on a headwind for landing in these geographically challenged locations would prove troublesome as the inevitable wind shear would cause more calamity than the utility of a lower ground speed.

Not to mention on a one-way strip (as most of these are) a headwind landing means a tail wind departing. Certainly not ideal.

Yep. Know the mission. Know the plane. Know yourself. Assess the conditions and potential variability therein. Make the decisions.

I think calm winds are more advantage than disadvantage. Relying on a headwind for landing in these geographically challenged locations would prove troublesome as the inevitable wind shear would cause more calamity than the utility of a lower ground speed.

Not to mention on a one-way strip (as most of these are) a headwind landing means a tail wind departing. Certainly not ideal.

With the stall horn blaring away all those times, I feel that AOA indicator coupled with the slip indicator is kind of mandatory to get into those tight places.
I would tend to disagree...knowing and flying appropriate indicated airspeeds is more than adequate.

would it be a handy reference? Absolutely. But not mandatory by any stretch.

With the stall horn blaring away all those times, I feel that AOA indicator coupled with the slip indicator is kind of mandatory to get into those tight places. It is interesting that the video does not show the takeoffs, which are probably also mighty interesting.
Not mandatory but safer and way more accurate than an airspeed indicator,and not having to look down in the panel is very nice in this slow approaches.

Amazing piloting skill, but gives me the willies especially small gravel bar. Wonder how many props he chews up in a year?

Amazing piloting skill, but gives me the willies especially small gravel bar. Wonder how many props he chews up in a year?
Motoadve is the pilot... ask him. I doubt it adds as much wear as you’d think.

Last edited:

Prop is no problem if you keep moving, what gets beaten up is the horizontal stab, when you touch down in the gravel bar it kicks rocks up and then come the horizontal at 40 MPH to hit the rocks, no way to avoid it.

Back