An aid for the written test

Kodiak

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Kodiak
I converted a Helix circle maker to help with finding degrees on maps and finding aircraft to VOR positions on the written test. I have found it to be better than using a plotter/ruler. I have attached two gifs showing the modifications.

Helix circle I.png Helix circle II.png

Anything that works can only help.
One thought, though, not sure if they'd allow that "inside" while actually taking the test. Certainly, it's only a different form of "degree circle," and doesn't provide you with any extra info at all, but something like that might not meet the "approved" list. It might be worth checking before you get there and get surprised, I don't know.

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't think that the Gestapo would be that petty with mechanical objects. I'll try to post the results after the test.

Bob beat me to it, AC 60-11C has it, paragraph 5a, surely looks like you'd be good to go.

Yah. That's the ticket. Drop $150 to take an exam, study up and be ready, and then be denied testing for attempting to bring something "out of the ordinary" into the room. When they say no, explain to the person who doesn't give a rip about what's on the test that some AC says it's okay.

When you finish explaining what an AC is, and show them which one, they'll still say "I don't see this on the list."

All the while, you've not taken the test, but they've sure taken your money.

While you're at it, do a check in on farcebook with the name of the test center. Supposedly they love that.

Good Luck!

Think you and your CFI need to go over some things. As a student you should be seeking guidance from him, not a bunch of strangers on the internet.

That is a protractor. Protractors are allowed unless they have answers to test questions printed on them.
A protractor is a measuring instrument, typically made of transparent plastic or glass, for measuring angles.

Think you and your CFI need to go over some things. As a student you should be seeking guidance from him, not a bunch of strangers on the internet.

My CFI now is the Dauntless software and Gleim websites. Gleim does have CFIs who will help you with test questions. So no personal CFI now. I decided to go with self study for the written.

My experience:
Dauntless is fairly good now, after I called to their attention around 10 to 12 wrong answers. They corrected them all. They have improved their graphic examples quite a bit also. Gleim was spot on with all their material. I tried to correct a couple of Gleim's questions only to find that I had been misled by the Dauntless material. I went with Dauntless at first because it was very reasonably priced. They update their material continuously, which you download with their software program interface. Dauntless has a way to get a writeoff/test endorsement, but it entails making an appointment with an associate CFI who questions you over the phone for 30 to 45 minutes. This used to cost around $40 as I remember, but the CFI chat cost $120 now. Dauntless tells you that a local CFI will probably be glad to test you and give you an endorsement (all one of them where I live), but the CFIs I contacted (another one 180 miles away) wanted nothing to do with that because they didn't train me. So I went with Gleim for $109 ($10 less than a Dauntless CFI) and after answering their question correctly, they gave a written signoff. The Gleim test material was good review as well as covering a few things that Dauntless didn't.

Gold Seal automatically provides the Endorsement and also has CFIs available for support questions. Phone or Email. Each Tuesday at 3:00pm eastern we have Private Session where viewers can directly communicate with CFIs. It is a live stream and anyone with a Gold Seal account, paid or unpaid, is welcomed to attend.

Gold Seal automatically provides the Endorsement and also has CFIs available for support questions. Phone or Email. Each Tuesday at 3:00pm eastern we have Private Session where viewers can directly communicate with CFIs. It is a live stream and anyone with a Gold Seal account, paid or unpaid, is welcomed to attend.

There is something I should have pointed out concerning the Gleim course. Once you have taken their main test and afterwards, their review questions test, you can no longer go over or review the test questions again. You can go over the review sheets they give with the course, but not the question/answer pools. This was somewhat of a disappointment. Fortunately, I had copied the questions off the website that I missed, so I could review them later. This is the best free program that I have found to copy web text: https://sourceforge.net/projects/capture2text/files/Capture2Text/

There is something I should have pointed out concerning the Gleim course. Once you have taken their main test and afterwards, their review questions test, you can no longer go over or review the test questions again. You can go over the review sheets they give with the course, but not the question/answer pools. This was somewhat of a disappointment. Fortunately, I had copied the questions off the website that I missed, so I could review them later. This is the best free program that I have found to copy web text: https://sourceforge.net/projects/capture2text/files/Capture2Text/

Gold Seal archives every quiz and every practice final forever. You can review them at any time and even print out PDFs showing just the questions you missed. Your instructor can also review your quizzes if he/she is so inclined.

Back