"Pencil Whipped"

Ravioli

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Unwanted Guest - Perma-ban Pending
Another thread got me thinking on this.

Who signs off an annual with a pencil? Shouldn't it be "Pen Whipped"?

Also, who uses pencil in their pilot logbooks?

Is @Ravioli being too damn literal again?

All my entries in airframe and powerplant logs are in pen or printed on a sticker, I have a few entries in my pilot log that are in pencil.

I recommend using pen for the entries, those should be mostly permanent. But recommend a pencil for the totals, at least the running totals. That ways when you realize you added wrong 10 pages ago it is much easier to fix the totals on the following 10 pages.

On the front page. You name in Pen, your address, phone number in pencil. For when you move or change it.

Brian

As a trusted A&P, I leave that decision to the customer. I can pencil whip the annual along with any Mx that I ‘perform’ or I can pen whip it, doesn’t make a difference to me.

Another thread got me thinking on this.

Who signs off an annual with a pencil? Shouldn't it be "Pen Whipped"?

Also, who uses pencil in their pilot logbooks?

Is @Ravioli being too damn literal again?

And why is it "whipped"?

Apparently one can't be too careful when it comes to whips.

Public Notification: Best Whips Contains Hidden Drug Ingredient

[12-19-2013] The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is advising consumers not to purchase or use Best Whips, a product promoted and sold for sexual enhancement on various websites and in some retail stores.

Then there's the endless debate about Miracle Whip compared to (shudder) real mayonnaise.
From the Harvard Business Review:

Make the Most of a Polarizing Brand

As conversation starters go, “What do you think of Miracle Whip?” probably seems unlikely—you wouldn’t think many people have strong opinions about the slightly-sweeter-than-mayonnaise sandwich spread. But when marketers at Kraft began researching shoppers’ attitudes toward the dressing, they found surprisingly deep emotions. It turns out that a substantial number of people love Miracle Whip, and many others detest it. In 2011 Kraft launched ads that sought to make a virtue of the schism. The campaign used love-’em-or-hate-’em celebrities, including Pauly D from Jersey Shore and the political pundit James Carville. Some people in the ads praised Miracle Whip’s yumminess, but one character said he’d break up with his girlfriend if he learned that she liked the dressing. Another said, “I’d rather lick your shoe” than try it. “Miracle Whip is a polarizing product,” the brand director, Sara Braun, explained at the time. “We’re trying to own up to this fact.” The strategy worked: During the campaign Miracle Whip experienced a 631% surge in social media postings and a 14% increase in sales...

Who could have imagined whipped cream could be so much more enjoyable (and less expensive) than the annual pencil/pen whipping?

Richmond woman, 20, experienced hallucinations from 'laughing gas' misuse: report
A Richmond ER doctor is warning about the dangers of inhaling nitrous oxide (N2O) after treating a 20-year-old woman who experienced hallucinations stemming from daily use of “whippits.”...
Commonly known as “laughing gas,” N2O is used in a medical setting for purposes such as anaesthesia or sedation.

It’s also commercially available in canisters known as whippits, which are used as a foaming agent in whipped cream dispensers. Whippets can be purchased over-the-counter or online regardless of age, medical history or intended use.

I googled "pencil whipped" on eBay and this is that came up:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Used Whips

These days probably better to insist participants wear gloves and a mask.

I would not even use pencil on the hours.
If you find an error, it’s really better to make a new entry (in ink), dated & signed, certificate & # - saying ‘addition error noted in logbook #3, p12, date 1/26/2003; corrected here, making new TTSN 1234.5hrs or some such.

I use pencil in my log book. Ink can fade over time.

I have an old brand registration document from 1873 that was done in pencil and is still readable.

Even my log book is a spiral note book....

I use pencil in my log book. Ink can fade over time.

I have an old brand registration document from 1873 that was done in pencil and is still readable.

Even my log book is a spiral note book....
thats the reason i do not use stickers in log books. 10 years from now the glue will be bad and all the stickers will just fall off.

I'm surprised that FAR 43.9 doesn't mandate the use of a pen. In Canada CAR 625.93 specifies that the entries be made in a permanent manner, which excludes, of course, a pencil. It also demands that if an entry needs correctin, it is struck out with a single line so that the original is still readable, and a correction made and a reason for the correction given. This also applies to electronic records that replace the paper records; the program must keep the original there along with any correction. Pencil or whiteout gets a mechanic or owner into trouble real quick on an audit.

I have a Parker 51 of the same color and manufactured in the same quarter year as my Navion so I can log proper P-51 time.
My P-51 time was probably entered with one that looked like this:
USGBallpoint.jpg

I didn't ask what year the pens were made.

Nauga,
right place, right time

Looking at this artist's drawing depicting the Brodbeck "spring-driven airship" it's difficult to imagine how it got off the ground; the wings have no characteristic airfoil shape to provide lift. Of course the drawing was done in 1982, and without any provenance it may have looked nothing like this.

Jakob Brodbeck spring-driven airship.jpg

My P-51 time was probably entered with one that looked like this:
View attachment 85145

I didn't ask what year the pens were made.

Nauga,
right place, right time
That's a Skilcraft ball point. Real popular with the government in the 70's and 80's. Skilcraft is a sheltered workshop for the blind, which makes it sort of ironic.

I have its predecessor, a Wearever (damned autocorrect) fountain pen that says US Government. I keep red ink in it.

Last edited:
Hey thanks for finding that drawing @Stan Cooper!
First I've seen of it.

Interesting tidbit of history/fanciful Texas story.

(Even if the Brodbeck deniers now include the Smithsonian, lol!)

thats the reason i do not use stickers in log books. 10 years from now the glue will be bad and all the stickers will just fall off.

I have stickers in my log book from more than 15 years ago, they are still there

I have stickers in my log book from more than 15 years ago, they are still there

They just do not build stickers as good as they used to... Boomer stickers last much longer than Millennial stickers ever will.

:p

Stickers come in two flavors... removable and not. I've got stickers in my airplane logs from the last century.

What's remarkable about the Wright bros is the number of qualifiers one has to attach to their flight to claim it is the first
Powered
and sustained
and controlled
and manned
and heavier than air.
Take away any one of the above qualifiers and someone else had done it.

Without the above mostly it's called "falling" :D Lots of glider flying before the Wrights and by the Wrights but to be able to fly is to be able to do it from places other than a great height.

That's a Skilcraft ball point. Real popular with the government in the 70's and 80's. Skilcraft is a sheltered workshop for the blind, which makes it sort of ironic.

I have its predecessor, a Wearever (damned autocorrect) fountain pen that says US Government. I keep red ink in it.

Still real popular with the US Navy.....I guess because they are simple, small, and fit nicely into the pen holes in the pockets of our working uniforms. I don't fly with them, as they tend to be a pretty significant FOD concern, but it's what I would carry if I were walking around in khakis for some unusual reason.

What's remarkable about the Wright bros is the number of qualifiers one has to attach to their flight to claim it is the first
Powered
and sustained
and controlled
and manned
and heavier than air.
Take away any one of the above qualifiers and someone else had done it.

Remove any of those and the technology is no longer practical transportation.

Still real popular with the US Navy.....I guess because they are simple, small, and fit nicely into the pen holes in the pockets of our working uniforms. I don't fly with them, as they tend to be a pretty significant FOD concern, but it's what I would carry if I were walking around in khakis for some unusual reason.

And back in the day when paper high charts were the norm they're 500 NM long. Handy for in-depth flight planning. :D

I also have some old Schaefer and other pens with "Military" clips. These clips are shorter than typical so that they don't extend down below the uniform pocket flap.

And back in the day when paper high charts were the norm they're 500 NM long. Handy for in-depth flight planning. :D

hah interesting trivia (no sarcasm). Until maybe 6 months ago, when I got foreflight for the first time, I was the dum dum whipping out IFR hi charts in the jet en route. Silly me. But didn't know that little fact.

Nobody has said it: I’ve seen pilots get in much more trouble being a different kind of whipped!

LOL. Couldn’t resist. LOL

Back