Headsets?

SkyChaser

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
SkyChaser
Partly because I am extremely bored and partly because I am going to get my tax return eventually, I have been thinking about getting a headset. However, I have no idea where I should even start looking. Any recommendations or ideas?

I am a low-time PPL student right now, but am planning on someday, hopefully sooner rather than later, flying as a regular job. And hopefully not buying multiple headsets to get there (is that a reasonable expectation?). The other consideration is my budget - everything I spend on a headset is less I have available to spend on the actual flight training. If you guys all convince me, I would be willing to spring for an A-20. But if anyone has had good experiences with a less expensive headset, that would be nice to know, too.

Should I even be thinking about headsets at this stage in the game?

Thanks, everyone!

I’ve been using the Lightspeed Sierra for about 3 months now. It’s the best bang for the buck imho. ANR is very good (not as good as the Bose, but very close) and it’s comfortable on my head. Definitely recommend!

I started with David Clark H10-13.4. Great headset which I now use as a passenger spare. I wanted ANR and went cheap with the FARO G2. Pretty good but noticed the mic had to be almost IN my mouth to be heard. They are the back seat passenger spare. I then bought the Bose A-20 which is great but in the Arizona summer they can be a bit sweaty so I bought Clarity Aloft. I use the CA in the summer and the Bose A-20 in the winter. the CAs aren't ANR but I like the fact that they are light and with aftermarket Christmas Tree style silicon ear buds, they cancel out enough to make it comfortable.

Thanks for the recommendations! I will look into those ones.

And I did try to search for previous threads but I didn't have access to my laptop and my phone isn't always the best so there could be hundreds that weren't displaying for me. ;)

I’ve flown with all the big names. I like my Lightspeed Zulu 3’s the best. I also like Coke vs Pepsi :)

Hope your headset upgrade goes well and premature Congrats on the PPL. You’ll be enjoying your own aviation adventures soon.

Thanks, guys! Has anyone had both a Lightspeed Sierra and a Zulu 3 and can enumerate some of the differences? Obviously, I can't really go anywhere and try any out myself, or I definitely would. I think the headset I wore during my training so far was the David Clark one. I have a pretty good-sized head, and when I wore it for more than 1.5 hours at a time, it started to be a bit uncomfortable due to the clamping effect. Do you think that I would have similar issues with either the Sierra or Zulu 3?

I haven't flown with Sierra's...but I fly with Bose A20 and Zulu 3 regularly and neither are uncomfortable ever to me.
Both are as good as the other IMO in almost every way....but I like the cord on the Zulu better for sure, and if you get one from Pigpen you'll save close to 500 bucks over the A20 new.
I set my phone up with the Zulu 3 and it has automatically paired every time since. Haven't checked that with the Bose, but I'm sure it's fine as well.
You can gat a Zulu 3 and a Sierra both, from Pigpen for not much more than the cost of a new Bose A20.

when I wore it for more than 1.5 hours at a time, it started to be a bit uncomfortable due to the clamping effect. Do you think that I would have similar issues with either the Sierra or Zulu 3?
I have a Zulu 2 and its clamping effect is not significant; it is a very good headset in terms of audio quality and comfort. Durability for the Zulu 2 I would consider the weakness. My favorite headset though is the Clarity Aloft; no clamping effect there.

Everybody is different. Doesn't matter one bit what someone else prefers. You need to find what fits you, and what you find most comfortable.

If you're going to spend money on an expensive headset you need to try out the different models in the plane and for at least a couple of hours each. See what you can do to borrow or rent the ones you are considering.

That was was of my main 'want to do things' at sun n fun...try on headsets.

I can't really comment on the new offerings, but I will add this....
I bought a Flightcom basic passive headset for my first one as a student pilot. The company was new on the market at those days, but as I recall it was known as being a decent headset but lower priced than the David Clarks that were then all the rage. All the instructors seemed to use David Clarks (all passive in those days). Anyway, at some point I bought a more premium model flightcom...but it was still lower cost.... and relegated my first one for passenger use/spare. Many years later not long before I ended up starting an unplanned 16 year break from flying...I bought a lightspeed...one of the early ANR sets. It was more comfortable and cost a lot more....but by then I was making more money and could afford to splurge.

I did all my training and the majority of my scant 320ish hours using the Flightcoms, and I'm still using them today (I started my PPL work in 1990) ....still using them because the Lightspeeds had disintegrated during my 16 year break!

My point, I'm not sure I'd go with a no name "generic", cheaper headsets work just fine and while not as comfortable perhaps, they can be quite good for a "starving student". I'd probably go with a name brand passive noise reduction set to start.

I take it that you're using loaner headsets. To answer your last question....yes, if you are going to continue flying I think it's a good idea to get your own!

I picked up a UFQ L2 ANR. Ultra lightweight, in ear, and the anr works good - I fly with my canopy open all the time. Love them. The cost savings over Bose covered 35 hours of fuel for more flying, too. If ya really want to get something spendy, some folks on here say the David Clark DC One is the best ear muff out there.

Last edited:
Everybody is different. Doesn't matter one bit what someone else prefers. You need to find what fits you, and what you find most comfortable.

If you're going to spend money on an expensive headset you need to try out the different models in the plane and for at least a couple of hours each. See what you can do to borrow or rent the ones you are considering.

This. Fit and comfort are everything IMO— and it’s personal. What works for me might not for you. The greatest ANR headset is worthless if you can’t stand wearing it after 30 mins. This is where the big shows like Osh and Sun'n Fun really shine as you can try on everything under the sun and test out the ANR functions. A few years ago we went with Bose A20s after trying a number of makes and models simply because for us, it was the most comfortable hands down for an over the ear headset. Truth be told if it were just me I’d probably gone with an in-ear headset like Halo or Clarity Aloft, but I needed 4 headsets and decided to get go ahead and make them all the same.

Can't get to 15 posts without telling you to stick it in your ear.

Clarity Aloft
QT Halo
CQ1

The over the ear recommendations you've gotten are the usual ones discussed.

On ear sucks, unless you're one of the many who prefer them.

YMWV

Can't get to 15 posts without telling you to stick it in your ear.

Clarity Aloft
QT Halo
CQ1

The over the ear recommendations you've gotten are the usual ones discussed.

On ear sucks, unless you're one of the many who prefer them.

YMWV

In ear sucks, unless you're one of the few who prefer them. ;)

I have a QT Halo set for the occasional passenger that prefers not to get their hair mussed up, and don't mind having plastic inserts in their ear channels for an hour or three.

They are much more expensive than the ear protectors the now-bankrupt airlines used to give you in their biz class amenities bag, and the experience using them is about the same. :p

Seriously, they are a good option for people who find them comfortable (unlike me). Some people have had custom fitted silicone ear seals made. And my Halos have, without question, absolutely the best audio clarity of any headset I've ever used. I wish the Bose A-20 I use in the Dawg was half as good.

I have QT Halos. It's comfortable and quiet, but the mic absolutely will not stay in place because it's such lightweight construction. The wire headband broke, and they charged $100 to overhaul the headset.

I will not buy another one. Too delicate and expensive for what it is.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks, guys! Has anyone had both a Lightspeed Sierra and a Zulu 3 and can enumerate some of the differences? Obviously, I can't really go anywhere and try any out myself, or I definitely would. I think the headset I wore during my training so far was the David Clark one. I have a pretty good-sized head, and when I wore it for more than 1.5 hours at a time, it started to be a bit uncomfortable due to the clamping effect. Do you think that I would have similar issues with either the Sierra or Zulu 3?
I have both I’m my cockpit. I fly with the zulu3 and for my passengers I have the Sierra. Performance wise they are the same i think. The Sierra is a bit clunkier across the top. But accommodates a wider head I think. Plus it makes less of a mess of my wife’s hair. She likes it as does my passenger. The braided cord on the zulu3 is nice though

First and foremost - yes, get a headset, even as a student. The microphone muff is disgusting if multiple people use the same pair every day. If someone is sick, you may catch what they had. I got really sick after using a school's headset that was in the plane from the prior student. Yuck!

I use QT Halos and love them, but have refurbished a pair of Bose X headsets that my plane came with and they're pretty good too. Less comfortable than the QT Halos, but quieter with the ANR turned on.

I have experienced the Bose A20 and like them for the quietness, but I think there are better values out there. Heard great things about Lightspeed and have a friend that has the Zulu 3 and loves them. I bought a pair of Faro headsets that were also very good, but didn't get to experience them for very long before someone made off with them.

I think I was the only student that used the loaner where I had been training, because it was always way in the back before my lesson, but I thought about that microphone muff a lot!

Besides Oshkosh and Sun 'n Fun (both of which I would love to attend but can't right now), where would be a good place for someone to go to look at a lot of different headsets? Is there such a thing? I am in southern MN, but I have a car and am used to having to drive a while to get anywhere worthwhile. This is where I would love to have a circle of pilot friends who all have a different kind of headset that wanted to take me up and show me stuff... LOL I would love to at least try on the A20, the Sierra and the Zulu 3 and see what I thought of them. I can usually tell right away if a headset is going to become uncomfortable later.

And I think I would want to go with over the ear, as ear plugs or earbuds of any kind have always been uncomfortable for me. Plus, I don't care what the headset makes my hair look like anyway.

Thanks again for all your help!

I'll give the old school dissenting opinion.

I've used a Zulu 3 and it was nice enough. However, I ultimately opted to refurbish my David Clark H10-40 headset and buy another one already refurbished.

They were cutting edge 1980s technology and were cataloged until the mid to late 1990s if I recall correctly. They are old, but they still work really well, are basically bullet proof, and there are a ton of David Clark and third party upgrades out there that let you customize them to your preference. For a new or part time pilot they are also a very affordable route to take.

My H10-40 was 30 years old and the foam was crumbly, so it needed new foam in the ear domes. A complete replacement set from David Clark (DC) was $18. I also replaced the gel ear seals and I upgraded to a gel head pad, although I used a non DC model that I liked a lot better than the DC head pad options.

I put $60 into refurbishing it to regain the full passive noise protection and functionality, with the improved comfort of a gel head pad. For me it made sense as I owned it, liked it and found it to be very comfortable on long flights with the gel ear seals and even more so with the gel head pad. No hot spots at all.

If you don't have one sitting around you can do what I did for a second head set and buy a refurbished H10-40 for around $200. You can find them non refurbished on E-bay for around $100. Just be aware you'll probably need to replace the ear seals and the ear foam - about $45 total.

I also bought a third H10-40 off E-bay for $100 to put in a leather flying helmet and it unfortunately had a com cord that failed the wiggle test. The major expense was replacing a com cord on one of them that failed the wiggle test. That was a $70 part and took about 30 minutes to replace. (Soldering is required, so if you are not fairly good at soldering you'd need to pay an avionics shop to replace it.)

Cords rarely go bad but it's a $70 hit if they do, so buying one refurbed from an avionics vendor like KC Headsets might be a little cheaper in the end, or at least no risk.

https://www.kcheadsets.com/h10-40---refurbed--199.00.html

In terms of ANR, you can also upgrade any of the David Clark H10-XX headsets to ANR for $200 with the ANR conversion kit from Active Headsets:

https://www.headsetsinc.com/product/deluxe-anr-kit/

If you are not into doing your own solder connections, Active Headsets will do the conversion for you for another $50. That conversion also solves any broken com cord issues as it replaces the old cord.

So for $200 you can get a very well made and durable refurbished H10-40 headset. Alternatively, for $400 to $450 you can get excellent hybrid passive/active noise reduction in a quality refurbushed H10-40 headset that will literally last you your entire career. The ANR conversion adds an additional 18 dB to 21 dB of noise reduction between 80 and 500 Hz on top of the passive 14.7 dB to 36.1 dB reduction you get from 25 Hz and 8,000 Hz with the David Clark H10-XX series headsets. That's only about $100 more in total than you'd pay for a new H13.4 passive headset from David Clark.

Interestingly enough, you can also buy a remanufactured H13.4 with the Headsets Inc. ANR system installed for $499 with a 2 year warranty.

https://www.kcheadsets.com/h10-13anr---reman---499.00.html

----

Something else to consider is that a hybrid passive/active unit still retains it's passive performance if the ANR electronics fail, or the batteries go dead. It'll also work in any aircraft, unlike an ANR headset designed for panel supplied power.

I did my training with an ASA passive headset. Can't be beaten for the $100 or so it costs, and it comes with a lifetime warranty. Adding cloth ear covers helps a LOT with comfort. When I started flying passengers I relegated it to pasenger use and bought myself a Gulf Coast Avionics ANR set, $200 sale price at SNF. It works reasonably well.

My wife found the ASA set uncomfortable, though, so I took her to Pilot Mall and let her try on different sets to find what worked. Naturally, she couldn't be comfortable until my wallet was uncomfortable and we bought her a DC OneX. It's a great headset.

So, there are good options across the price spectrum. Pay your money, take your choice.

Last edited:
I have a Zulu 2 and a Zulu 3 in the skylane. They’ve been great for the last 7 years, Super comfortable and durable. I run them from a lemo panel connector so they get power from the panel. Since my cub has no electrical system I got a set of sierras for that plane. I can not tell any difference what so ever when they are on my head. Lots more plastic on the Sierra’s, but they are holding up well. There is less than a 2 ounce weight difference between the two.

The only complaint I have is when listening to music via Bluetooth everything as an annoying echo, like they added a little reverb. Thank goodness the skylane has a ps engineering audio panel so all my Bluetooth runs through that. I’ve never used Bluetooth on the Zulu’s, next time I’m in the skylane I’ll give it a try and see if they sound funny too.

First of all, you guys rock. :)

Would you suggest I get a cheap headset for training and a better one later? I was hoping for a one and done deal, but maybe that isn't realistic. I've worn exactly one headset (the one in my avatar and I believe it's a David Clark), and I know I do not want that one, as it started to give me a headache at about the 1.5 hour mark every time from the clamping effect. I am thinking I will hold off until I can try on a few other kinds somehow, hopefully some of the ones you all like, and see how they work for me.

Has anyone had both a Lightspeed Sierra and a Zulu 3 and can enumerate some of the differences?
I have a Sierra, a Zulu 3, a Bose A20 and a Bose X. For me, the Sierra is the least comfortable. I notice the heavier weight and the double hinged design seems to clamp my head in the wrong places after a while.

I have the Sierra’s $525, Tango’s $575, Zulu 3’s $675 and PFX’s $699 available. I have lots of testing time with all of them in lots of different planes. 979-451-3251 if you have Questions or need one. All mine are like new! Texting is good.

I have a Zulu 2 and a Zulu 3 in the skylane. They’ve been great for the last 7 years, Super comfortable and durable. I run them from a lemo panel connector so they get power from the panel. Since my cub has no electrical system I got a set of sierras for that plane. I can not tell any difference what so ever when they are on my head. Lots more plastic on the Sierra’s, but they are holding up well. There is less than a 2 ounce weight difference between the two.

The only complaint I have is when listening to music via Bluetooth everything as an annoying echo, like they added a little reverb. Thank goodness the skylane has a ps engineering audio panel so all my Bluetooth runs through that. I’ve never used Bluetooth on the Zulu’s, next time I’m in the skylane I’ll give it a try and see if they sound funny too.

Not sure why your music isn’t good??? I listen to music on every single flight with my Zulu 3. It sounds great.

I bought a set of ASA’s when I started pilot training. Cheap, lifetime guarantee and I still use them. I don’t fly enough or long enough legs to warrant spending ~$1000 for deluxe versions.

My pax, usually female, haven’t complained using a set of ASA’s either.

As others have said, the only way to decide is try before buy.

Cheers

I'm gonna toss my vote in for the Clarity Aloft headset. Not ANR but extremely quiet so that you get great audio both in and out. Sent back my set that was out of warranty and they fixed them at no charge. Good company and quick service!

I also have a set of older Lightspeed ANR that work but aren't impressive and a set of Lightspeed QFR that are pretty good for passive. Those are for the passengers unless the wife wants the Clarity Aloft for her. LOL

I bought zulus during training on the buy once, cry once theory. I've been extremely pleased with them. When I needed a couple more headsets for the kids, I picked up used DC's on Ebay. I tried wearing them to make sure they worked ok, and didn't even make it to the hold short line before I decided the lightspeeds were money well spent.

If money is tight though, used DC's can be a great value, as I bought both mine for $150 or less, and lightspeed will give you a trade in discount of $150 for them when you're ready to trade up. Or just keep them for passengers as they literally last forever.

I bought a pair of the Gulf Coast Avionics ANR headsets for passengers and it works quite well. I haven't used them to fly myself as i don't like the clamping feel on my head, but for $200 on sale ($249 regular price) it's hard to beat. https://www.gulfcoastavionics.com/products/3583/gca-anr

The Quiet Technology Halos are my daily use headset. I like the comfort, though I find I have to change the foam inserts every 3rd or 5th flight to keep them sealing. But they work very well, and as luck would have it, it's back in stock in their store. It's $339 for your choice of yellow or black. http://www.quiettechnologies.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=66_59&product_id=51

The Faro Air have good reviews and I'm tempted to try their version. They are $389 and are also over-the-air: https://www.faroaviation.com/product/in-ear-aviation-headset/

One thing to consider (less important as a student, more important once you have your certificate) is that the QT Halos and Faro Air do not have bluetooth built in. With the tradition headsets, you can stuff an airpod or one ear bud of your wired headphones into your ear and cover with the headset so you can listen to music or even possibly take a call. (But why would you want to? :p). I bought a Bluelink to enable pairing with a phone so I can listen to music or make a call if I wanted, but most of the time it just sits in my flight bag.

I don't think there's a "one and done" with headsets. Plus I like having a backup headset just in case.

Thanks, guys! You've given me a lot to think about and I appreciate you all taking the time to respond! :)

I do like the lightweight part of the in-ear headsets, but I think they would drive me crazy after a while since I don't like in-ear stuff as a general rule.

If I wanted to buy one pair to wear through private and commercial training, would it be smart to buy say, an ASA headset? Or would I be better served to just go for a Sierra or Zulu 3 right out of the gate?

I would stick with Dave Clark, lightspeed, or Bose. Audio quality both in and out, as well as durability, serviceability, and resale value. Cheap headsets are just that, cheap.

If you're planning to go all the way through commercial, I'd say a top end ANR would be a sound investment if you can swing it. I strongly considered the Sierra, but picked the Zulu as it just seemed more robust. The Sierra uses a lot of plastic, and I have a tendency to break things. YMMV.

FWIW, of the instructors and pro pilots at my home base, 90% have bose. Zulus are probably the next most common. My dpe had a well worn Zulu 3, and one of my instructors had a DC pro x2 he loved.

Thanks, guys! You've given me a lot to think about and I appreciate you all taking the time to respond! :)

I do like the lightweight part of the in-ear headsets, but I think they would drive me crazy after a while since I don't like in-ear stuff as a general rule.

If I wanted to buy one pair to wear through private and commercial training, would it be smart to buy say, an ASA headset? Or would I be better served to just go for a Sierra or Zulu 3 right out of the gate?

All depends upon your checkbook.

If you skimp on a headset, you’ll have more money to put toward sunglasses and a leather jacket.

this is the newer version of the one I've flown with since the mid to late 1990's. (16 of those were stored in a box) It's held up well.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/4dlx.php
$119 (or maybe it's their 5DX for $159)
regardless it's plenty comfortable enough and it works.
I spent probably 3x that on my lightspeed....it was quieter and a bit more comfortable...but not that much. I put in that same box with a lot fewer hours on it before...and it rotted away.
looking on aircraft spruce, there are a few good looking choices at around $250 and less for passive
and $300-ish ANR
...and teh once and done thing... you never know what you might learn later that might mkae you wish for something different. You never know when you might make a noob move sit on the thing.... and if it does survive there's going to be a point when you'll want a second set for a passenger,so upgrade then.

All depends upon your checkbook.

If you skimp on a headset, you’ll have more money to put toward sunglasses and a leather jacket.

That completely cracked me up. Thanks for the laugh! :)

this is the newer version of the one I've flown with since the mid to late 1990's. (16 of those were stored in a box) It's held up well.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/4dlx.php
$119 (or maybe it's their 5DX for $159)
regardless it's plenty comfortable enough and it works.

Pretty similar to the ASA except this only has a 3 year warranty, compared to a lifetime warranty for the ASA.

With any of these, get a set of cloth covers. Makes a big comfort difference.

I've been using my David Clarks H-10 for many years. I had the ANR conversion done at Oshkosh a few years back.

If you reside in the hot and/or humid part of the country, reconsider the in ear comfort of non-headclamps.
With my DCs in the Southeast, I used to sweat like a fat girl.....find my QT Halos oh-so-much-more comfortable.
One quickly gets used to having earplugs in.

I have a pair of Sennheiser ANR headsets that need a home. Send me a private message.

Back