Which aircraft is suitable for my type of mission

A Comanche 260 turbo or a nice turbo V35 would be pretty perfect for your mission. Darn near 200 knots at altitude and plenty of power for hot summer days and mountain ops.

Missions 1 and 2 would be a challenge on any sort of schedule without adding at least one zero to your budget, but if you’re the “maybe the real treasure was the friends we made along the way” type of folks then it shouldn’t be a problem so long as you don’t mind spending a night or two in a hotel room each direction. You’ll also want your instrument rating, it’s “cheap” insurance on inadvertent IMC encounters, it will make you a better pilot, and help you get more utility out of your airplane.

edit: I read the rest of the thread and your response and see you are not the new PPL I ASSumed you were - I’m leaving the bit up about an instrument rating for posterity in hopes that if someone reads this thread in the future they will take that advice to heart. I think a 310 as you mentioned would also be a great airplane for what you want to do, and I would also consider Senecas of different flavors if you haven’t ruled out a twin.

Last edited:
Cessna 210. Take out the third row of seats and you can fit bikes back there.
Choose a turbo model if you are ok using O2 and want to see very high speeds and climb rates up high.

Airlines are more comfortable and efficient. Sure. Everyone understands that.

Don’t understand what the double hockey sticks problem is up with some jaded people around here. I’ve flown mine (too small, too slow, too scary on stalls, et cetera...) 1500 miles, two up. Loved it. Plan on taking it on a 3000nm trip with my wife when she leaves DOD next year. Why I bought the damn thing...Fly about 30 hours/month.

@oppscheckgood6 I thought 182s were the most boring thing not called “172” until seeing @motoadve videos. Looks like a absolute blast.

I have a lowly Cherokee 140 which I routinely take on trips of ~900nm. It's about 8-9 hours in the air, but still faster, and more comfortable than airlines, routing through timbuctu, to get accross the street, and zero legroom for average height person.

You and the wife and a dog for longer trips. You and the wife and another couple for shorter trips. Comfort is important. Still want some speed. Decent baggage capacity. That sounds like it has Commander 114 written all over it to me. And I agree with the above. The 1000 mile trips will happen once or twice only for most.

Lots of reasonable suggestions. As you can see, your mission, and $150K budget covers a wide spectrum. For that buy-in, you can almost consider a Duke. So, in addition to purchase price, how much do you want the yearly/hourly budget to cost? Adding up your list of trips, depending on speed, looks like maybe 65-90 hrs/year, just ballpark. A Cardinal RG might cost you $130/hr, and a Duke, $600/hr.
Not liking over-the-wing and single door entry (I get it, totally), limits options quite a bit. Personally, though you might rule out the long trips as beyond the average limit, I'd still want to have a reasonably fast travel machine, say 145 kts or better. That pretty much means an RG-whatever, within your purchase limit. So, early 210's, 182RG's, Commander 114. Eastern states, you can certainly do fine without turbo, but a T182RG would allow you to go high for better TAS.

Good analysis Jim. I would just like to point out that early 210s have a service ceiling of 21,000' at gross, no turbo, and they do great in the highest regions. I once went o 23,000' to clear icy clouds at partial load and I was still climbing.

Airlines are more comfortable and efficient. Sure. Everyone understands that.

Don’t understand what the double hockey sticks problem is up with some jaded people around here. I’ve flown mine (too small, too slow, too scary on stalls, et cetera...) 1500 miles, two up. Loved it. Plan on taking it on a 3000nm trip with my wife when she leaves DOD next year. Why I bought the damn thing...Fly about 30 hours/month.

@oppscheckgood6 I thought 182s were the most boring thing not called “172” until seeing @motoadve videos. Looks like a absolute blast.
They're fun if you're comfortable flying on the backside of the power curve. I wish it would do 200kts, but you give and take... it's comfortable and can go a long way

Mooney is one of many that would work. You'll need a fuel stop for the longer trips in most any plane under $150k.
He wanted ease of entry. I don't know about you but this pilot sounds like he is an AARP guy like me and in the older years we put on a few or more pounds. A Mooney is a fantastic aircraft but not a comfortable one but maybe for "the dog'. I'm not negative on the Mooney having flown them but "ease of entry and roomy" it's not. Nothing in my mind is better than a 210. Beg borrow or steal the extra $150,000 and get a Turbo 210. Don't let the dog out until the prop stops. Wife too, I suppose.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and constructive criticism. I do apologize for not posting my certificates and ratings. Also, not providing any clarity of my yearly missions.
Here are few more details...
1. I fly for a major airlines with a good seniority number. That gives me 17 to 19 days off per month. I get 5/7 days in a row.
2. I’m still holding Cfi/cfii/ Mei ( yes, I need to get current and all)
3. I’m in very good health and in my early years done multiple long cross country flights coast to coast with a single engine. IE. Korl-Klit-kcos-kabq-Ksan 2 day trip
4. Wife loves flying long cross country in a GA aircraft without going through Tsa, connecting flights, delays etc. And we can fly with heavily discounted positive space tickets.
5. To give an example, wife loves the fact that we can fly direct to Charleston with our aircraft in few hours vs going to the airport, pay for parking, Tsa, and connecting flight either from Charlotte or Atlanta. It’s a whole day event.
6. Our long cross country missions will be broken into 2/3 days with multiple stops. If we fly in an airline to our destinations, it’ll take at least one connecting flight.
7. Mostly I miss the freedom of flying.
8. Two of my colleagues are A&P’s. And their opinions are very different. One is adamant on Multi engine being the Best Buy. ( C310 Q)
And other one thinks C210 is the best thing ever happened in GA world.
9. Wife liked the Cessna entry and space. She didn’t like the step on the wing and having to close the door for me. Also, Mooney is out due to the space.
10. Finally, only 2 of us will be flying long cross country. And short flights with another couple with no bags.

After reading all your post and other post in this forum, I believe 182 is the winner. The question is TR182 or 182p. Personally I’d love to own a 210’
But I feel I’m just carrying a lot of expensive metal that I don’t need.
I’m learning a lot by reading the forum.
Thank you for taking the time to reply my post.
Have a nice evening and a great rest of the weekend.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and constructive criticism. I do apologize for not posting my certificates and ratings. Also, not providing any clarity of my yearly missions.
Here are few more details...
1. I fly for a major airlines with a good seniority number. That gives me 17 to 19 days off per month. I get 5/7 days in a row.
2. I’m still holding Cfi/cfii/ Mei ( yes, I need to get current and all)
3. I’m in very good health and in my early years done multiple long cross country flights coast to coast with a single engine. IE. Korl-Klit-kcos-kabq-Ksan 2 day trip
4. Wife loves flying long cross country in a GA aircraft without going through Tsa, connecting flights, delays etc. And we can fly with heavily discounted positive space tickets.
5. To give an example, wife loves the fact that we can fly direct to Charleston with our aircraft in few hours vs going to the airport, pay for parking, Tsa, and connecting flight either from Charlotte or Atlanta. It’s a whole day event.
6. Our long cross country missions will be broken into 2/3 days with multiple stops. If we fly in an airline to our destinations, it’ll take at least one connecting flight.
7. Mostly I miss the freedom of flying.
8. Two of my colleagues are A&P’s. And their opinions are very different. One is adamant on Multi engine being the Best Buy. ( C310 Q)
And other one thinks C210 is the best thing ever happened in GA world.
9. Wife liked the Cessna entry and space. She didn’t like the step on the wing and having to close the door for me. Also, Mooney is out due to the space.
10. Finally, only 2 of us will be flying long cross country. And short flights with another couple with no bags.

After reading all your post and other post in this forum, I believe 182 is the winner. The question is TR182 or 182p. Personally I’d love to own a 210’
But I feel I’m just carrying a lot of expensive metal that I don’t need.
I’m learning a lot by reading the forum.
Thank you for taking the time to reply my post.
Have a nice evening and a great rest of the weekend.

Yes, get a Turbo 210 Centurion, great plane. Ask the pot smugglers form the 70s. If you are not a "tree top" flier you still have a wonderful and capable plane. Skip the Pressurized 210 though. A Turbo 210 is twice your budget but it will help the economy build after Covid Virus, right?

Has your wife flown with you much? Have you flown any of the longer trips on your list already?

What does 130 pounds of cargo carrying capacity mean? Full fuel tanks plus 340 pounds of people plus 15 pounds of dog plus 130 pounds of cargo?

Sorry for the delay response. Yes, she has flown in a slow 150 hp Beech sport to several cross country flight. But it has been a long time. Now she has physical limitation. And 130lbs of cargo is consist of our overnight bags and medical equipment.

Mission sets 1,2 and 3 are a pipe dream with a neophyte spouse in an unpressurized spam can of less than 200KTAS. One-time bucket list item sure, but that about it.

Not a pipe dream. Been there done that several times in a 150 hp Beech with my non neophyte spouse. Trips to the following cities were completed post instrument rating San Diego, New York, Colorado Springs, Maryland, and many legs to Key West.
And yes, I am thoroughly impressed with your rhetoric flourishes and the utter display of the mastery of English language.

And yes, I am thoroughly impressed with your rhetoric flourishes and the utter display of the mastery of English language.
youre-welcome-gif-9.gif

:D

Our acquisition budget is 150k.

Cirrus SR20 G1 meets this requirement.

Here's one that has lots of interesting upgrades, asking price is $155k
https://www.aerista.com/showroom/n2075t/

Cheaper ones are available as well. Look on Controller.

Must have...
1. Comfort (Ease of entry and roomy)

You want two doors for ease of entry.

Everybody remarks on the roomy cabin experience of an SRXX, as compared to other single-engine four-seaters.

2. Speed (Not asking super fast)

The SR20 cruises at about 150 knots.

The main performance complaint about the SR20 is that it doesn't climb fast. That's an issue in the mountains, but otherwise it's something that will just cause you to want an SR22.

3. At least 130 lbs of cargo carrying capacity

That's exactly the limit for the baggage compartment in a Cirrus.

Man, those Velocity airplanes are amazing. Other than having to get over trusting the idea that one was built by a guy (or gal) in their garage, what are the downsides? Smaller useable load? You don’t see them very often.

And they don’t stall.

Back