What plane to fly for cross country?

thecunning

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
thecunningone
Hello to all, currently in flight training and will have my commercial rating before long. My father, who is a successful man has been saying he cannot wait for him to be able to "rent me" and be his pilot for his cross country golf trips with friends. So, as a fun conversation, realistically what is a good comfortable plane we could realistically fly for this scenario? Currently live in TN. Think trips to surrounding states such as florida, georgia, potentially farther for him and a few friends to for a weekend trip somewhere. He is in his 60's and Im sure he will not want to be cramped in something like a piper... I did not know what type of aircraft are available to rent that I can fly (eventually) without having to be employed by a charter company. Anyway, fun conversation. Let me know your thoughts! And no need to be an ass on this post, just curious for information. Thanks!

Something that can preferably do 150kts+ in cruise.

You have to consider how many of your father’s friends you will be transporting and how much luggage (look at useful load). If you are carrying 4 passengers + golf bags + luggage, it will narrow your search to 6 seaters. In terms of single engine planes, a Piper Saratoga would have comfortable seating and a decent useful load. A Bonanza is a wonderful cross country ride but I believe has a lower useful load. You may want to look at a twins such as a Baron 58 as the 2nd engine gives more carrying capacity.

...He is in his 60's and Im sure he will not want to be cramped in something like a piper...

I own and fly a Piper. In fact I've owned 5 of them over time.
Here's a link to a thread with some interior pictures of the current one (post #86 on the thread). You judge.
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...rue-6-person-luggage-light-twin.120971/page-3

Of course a Piper still might not meet your requirements.
In that case I hear there's some good deals to be had on A380s these days. ;)

I own and fly a Piper. In fact I've owned 5 of them over time.
Here's a link to a thread with some interior pictures of the current one (post #86 on the thread). You judge.
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...rue-6-person-luggage-light-twin.120971/page-3

Of course a Piper still might not meet your requirements.
In that case I hear there's some good deals to be had on A380s these days. ;)
I like Aztecs a lot...they're no T-Bone, but they're nice for a Piper ;) They feel substantial and are super stable.

you said "rent"
doesn't that pretty much limit things to what places near you have in their fleet? Even in a large city it doesn't take long to figure out what's available to rent....since there are only so many flight schools

I've almost never seen 6 seaters for rent. The flight school I'm currently renting form has an old cherokee 6 on their line...& I've got my sights set on a checkout in it once I get the rust polished off a bit more.
I've rented a few cessna 182's and larger 4 seater pipers over the years but those seem a bit rare as rentals too.
some flight schools have some twins but often they are dual only.

Back