Cleaning GTN screens

m100psi

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
m100psi
I wondered what others use to clean their GTN screens. Garmin is specific not to use cleaners with ammonia that will damage the anti-reflective coating. They also say not to use any "chemical" cleaners and to limit only to microfiber cloths with soap and water.

But in the sanitizing section, they say only to sanitize screens with isopropyl alcohol of 70% or less.

Anyway, interested to hear what others are using safely. Thanks.

Water and microfiber towel, I see no reason to resort to anything else. Of course I own the plane, maybe if it’s a rental I’d use alcohol these days.

Go to sunglasses hut and buy one of those sunglasses cleaner kits... a squirt bottle of soapy blue water and a microfiber cloth... I called garmin and they approve

OK, thanks. I have various bottles of sunglasses and screen cleaner laying around, but none of them say anything about ingredients.

Go buy an iPad screen protector. Cut to size and place over the GTN. Makes cleaning going forward quite simple. The GTN works fine with the protector over it. I did this years ago and never looked back.

Go buy an iPad screen protector. Cut to size and place over the GTN. Makes cleaning going forward quite simple. The GTN works fine with the protector over it. I did this years ago and never looked back.
does that in anyway negatively affect the touchscreen performance?

Microfiber cloth and water. If you need more cleaning power, use a very dilute solution of dish detergent in water. No way either will damage any touch screen. Using alcohols could be problematic depending on the screen surface coatings, and is not necessary. Definitely not ammonia products.

How about the regular plexiglass cleaners? They should be safe for the plastic coating.

Back