HDD replacement time

JohnR

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Grrrrrrrr
My HD (in a Sony Vaio SZ220) is making "worn bearing" noises, so I thought I'd better start the replacement process while it's still working. I know I can take it to a rip-off place and have it cloned to a new one, then installed, but that's not exactly what I want.

Would it be easier/cheaper/more sensible to buy the hardware needed to just do it myself? Here's the result I want:
  • New HDD with Windows XP (as before)
  • None of the proprietary crapware from Sony
  • None of the multitude of programs I've installed and never used, but don't seem to appear in "Add/Remove Programs"
  • Only the programs I use, the appropriate "Local Settings" and "My Documents"
What's the easiest way to accomplish this?

Boot to current system.
Use file settings and transfer wizard to bundle up everything you want to preserve (data, settings, etc) and save them onto your current drive.
Shut down.
Install new drive in parallel to existing drive.
Boot up with XP DVD in DVD drive and boot to DVD
Install new copy of Windows XP on new drive
Install software you do wish to use, on the new drive.
Use the file settings and transfer wizard to unbundle all the data you want to keep, onto the new drive.
Wipe and remove the old drive.

If you have a REAL XP CD, not the one bundled with the laptop, you can do as Chuck suggested. If you only have the "system restore" CD, then you get the base install with all the crapware. In that case you're probably best off cloning your current drive.

I highly recommend Acronis TrueImage - when you get your computer set up the way you like it, use Trueimage to take a full archive of the disk(s). Then you can start from that point in the future if you need to rebuild or repair.

If you have a REAL XP CD, not the one bundled with the laptop, you can do as Chuck suggested. If you only have the "system restore" CD, then you get the base install with all the crapware. In that case you're probably best off cloning your current drive.

I highly recommend Acronis TrueImage - when you get your computer set up the way you like it, use Trueimage to take a full archive of the disk(s). Then you can start from that point in the future if you need to rebuild or repair.

I, too, like Acronis -- it takes the least amount of work to do a restore.

FYI, my Sony Vaio was making the "worn bearing" noise, but it was the fan, not the HDD.
I've been listening carefully for that sound since I read your post and, in perfect accordance with Murphy's Law, it only does it when I'm not paying full attention. Those fans can be harder to replace than a hard drive.

I've been listening carefully for that sound since I read your post and, in perfect accordance with Murphy's Law, it only does it when I'm not paying full attention. Those fans can be harder to replace than a hard drive.
I'm sure it is a fan. Generally--if the hard drive starts making death noises it is already too late.

Also a vote for the fan. Open up the tower and see if the fan is very dirty. If so clean it. Also start up the computer and give a listen with the side of the cabinet open. You will tell really quick where the noise is coming from.

Also a vote for the fan. Open up the tower and see if the fan is very dirty. If so clean it. Also start up the computer and give a listen with the side of the cabinet open. You will tell really quick where the noise is coming from.
Thanks, but it's a laptop. I've vacuumed dust out of it, but that hasn't made much difference. To add to the joy, the battery is totally dead (year and a half old) but at least that's easy and not horrendously expensive.

You can usually tell with an ear against the laptop where the noise is coming from. You also can use a stethoscope if you happen to have one, or a tube from a roll of paper towels if you don't.

As others have said, it's more likely a fan than the hard drive. When the bearings of a hard drive start to make noise, they usually seize very shortly thereafter.

Sometimes laptop fans are easy to replace, sometimes not. If you can't get a replacement, sometimes you can just peel the label off the fan, pop the inner cap off, put a drop of oil in it, replace the cap and label, and get another year or two out of it.

Recently, I've been referring physical repairs of laptops to a colleague of mine who does a lot of them and tends to have the parts in stock (or be to be able to get them quickly). If you want his address and phone number, send me a PM.

Rich

Back