Pope in a Plane

bluesky74656

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Todd Kooser
I was reading a news article that said the Pope would be landing at Andrew's Air Force Base at 4:00 today. The clock said 3:55, so I headed over to flightaware.com to see if I could catch the approach. Check out the screenshot.

It looks like Benedict XVI got to ride an Alitalia 777-200 for 9 hours 33 minutes from Fiumicino to Andrew's.

I looked for an KADW LiveATC feed, but got nothing.

Edit: Found this blog with more details on the interior layout of the plane:
http://wdtprs.com/blog/2008/04/a-few-details-about-the-papal-plane/

Attachments

• airport_map.rvt.gif
    airport_map.rvt.gif
    57.2 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I wonder if G-d was his co-pilot? ;)

I really wonder if he has a special Alitalia charter configuration or is it just one of the ones off the line?

Went out for my daily walk at lunch which normally takes me down Conn. Ave, across K to Washington Circle, up 23rd or 24th, then across P back to Connecticut.

As it happened today, the Popemobile was crossing Washington Circle about the time I got there. Aside from the throngs of people along Pennsy Ave, there were hundreds of protesters (welcome to Washington).

Didn't add much time to my walk, but oh, I'm really glad I wasn't out driving in the area today.....

I just heard some Papal trivia. The Pope is a pilot and flies his own helicopter to places like his summer home in Italy. He posseses a pilot's license but no driver's license. Cool!

Back