No BFR due to COVID

Glen R

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Glen
Not sure if this has been addressed already. I couldn't find anything. My BFR was due by the end of March and my CFI and I agreed to postpone it. Does anyone know if the FAA has addressed BFR's specifically in terms of an extension of sorts?

Just received this notice from AOPA.
Jon

Learn the latest on AOPA's advocacy efforts to protect general aviation pilots and community airports during the coronavirus pandemic. AOPA President Mark Baker will host a livestream on YouTube at 8 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time on Wednesday, April 22, to bring you up-to-the-minute news on our efforts to obtain relief for pilots on several certification deadlines, secure funding for airports, maintain access to airspace, and more.

Mark will also take your questions during the live discussion moderated by AOPA Senior Vice President of Marketing Jiri Marousek. You can submit your questions in advance now or submit them on the livestream page.

Livestream: State of general aviation with AOPA President Mark Baker

Date: Wednesday, April 22

Time: 8 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time

Would a bunch of Wings program courses bypass the BFR?

AOPA President Mark Baker will host a livestream on YouTube at 8 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time on Wednesday, April 22, to bring you up-to-the-minute news on our efforts to obtain relief for pilots on several certification deadlines, secure funding for airports, maintain access to airspace, and more.
Do you think they'll say anything other than "We are working on it"?

yep, still working on it.

Keep in mind rulemaking typically takes years, so this really is working at 100x speed.

Asked the flight school today,how do you social distance during a BFR? the scheduler had no idea.

I'm in the same boat... But I understand Tennessee is quitting the "safer at home" suggestion/mandate the end of this month.

Hope so.

well, since there is only one airworthy example, scheduling might be a problem.............
Build your own?
Thrasher%20SiameseErcoupe1988article.jpg

Mine was due the end of March. Thankful I got it done in February. :D

Lots of pilots still flying for work, even though many aren’t.

I’m guessing FAA is struggling with figuring out how to say the “essential” pilots need to maintain regular currency while the “non-essential” don’t, and wondering how well that’s going to play to the press. LOL.

Lots of pilots still flying for work, even though many aren’t.

I’m guessing FAA is struggling with figuring out how to say the “essential” pilots need to maintain regular currency while the “non-essential” don’t, and wondering how well that’s going to play to the press. LOL.
Yup...bookings are down substantially, but the guys flying for a living are still getting training and taking checkrides.

I've been in the process of trying to get mine back...after 16 years on the ground.
Was doing a very thorough checkout for rental with the CFI...couple flights into it....I can only guess that I would have been finished very soon, another flight or two I suppose....and then this hit.
so my bfr is about 14 or 15 years expired....
Only when coupled with the required flight activities with a CFI.
Not long after I started staying home I had logged into the faa wings page, and submitted for the flights I'd already done with my CFI
I just got the email a day or two ago saying that everything was confirmed for my Wings award. I saw it counted as a BFR but it didn't dawn on me..... I guess I could say that my BFR is current now then.... cool! Doesn't matter much though because I'm not yet signed of to rent and I'd want to finish up with the instructor anyway!
I know I could do it now since they are still flying, but I don't want to risk exposure.... I'll wait a bit more....

Well, if there is no flight review relief, at some point I quit being able to buy avgas and help keep the airport afloat. I've still got both a flight review and IPC indefinitely postponed. Frustrating.

oh, should have added, this new wings program is a good bit different than it was when they first started it. I'd done several phases of it back then.....

I just got the email a day or two ago saying that everything was confirmed for my Wings award. I saw it counted as a BFR but it didn't dawn on me...
It counts toward a BFR, not as a BFR. See post #8 and #9.

From AC-61-91J:

5. APPLICABILITY.

b. Incentive Awards. Airmen who participate in the program and satisfactorily complete a current phase of WINGS will not have to complete the flight review requirements of 14 CFR part 61, § 61.56. Section 61.56(e) states that participating airmen do not need to accomplish the flight review requirements of part 61 if, since the beginning of the 24th calendar-month before the month in which that pilot acts as pilot-in-command (PIC), he or she has satisfactorily accomplished one or more phases of an FAA-sponsored pilot proficiency award program. Each time a pilot earns a new phase of WINGS, it satisfies the flight review requirement regardless of how frequently or closely spaced the phase or award.

yeah, but it did involve the flights....which was required for the award
+ I did the aopa rusty pilot thing which counts as the sign-off for the ground portion. :)

Reactions: smv
If anyone in wants to come to TX and get it taken care of, dm me and I can get you in touch with someone here. I fly several times a month with an ATP/CFII who is absolutely excellent, professional, and unfortunately has a lot of available time due to canceled commercial flights. It is a bit dangerous around here though...0.000016 of the city has died from the Thing.

Yup...bookings are down substantially, but the guys flying for a living are still getting training and taking checkrides.

not true, our schoolhouse is closed down. no recurrent, no types, no landing quals.

I’ve heard both here too.

Cargo guys are getting all the love right now, but still have to maintain currency in sims. And medevac.

I haven’t asked the neighbor who used to fly medevac whether his old company is still flying. They operated a King Air that didn’t have a reasonable sim option for currency. Every ride was with a Fed. He said you got used to it. :) I bet they’re grounded or got real creative somehow.

Just received this notice from AOPA.
Jon

Learn the latest on AOPA's advocacy efforts to protect general aviation pilots and community airports during the coronavirus pandemic. AOPA President Mark Baker will host a livestream on YouTube at 8 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time on Wednesday, April 22, to bring you up-to-the-minute news on our efforts to obtain relief for pilots on several certification deadlines, secure funding for airports, maintain access to airspace, and more.

Mark will also take your questions during the live discussion moderated by AOPA Senior Vice President of Marketing Jiri Marousek. You can submit your questions in advance now or submit them on the livestream page.

Livestream: State of general aviation with AOPA President Mark Baker

Date: Wednesday, April 22

Time: 8 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time
So was there anything useful in the livestream?

I got my flight review finished in early March so that I would be set to retrieve the plane when it comes out of annual and its new avionics install. So, fortunately, the timing worked out quite well. It think it may be taking them a little longer getting the install done, but its a fine time for the plane to be in the shop with no where to really go anyway.

I got my flight review finished in early March so that I would be set to retrieve the plane when it comes out of annual and its new avionics install. So, fortunately, the timing worked out quite well. It think it may be taking them a little longer getting the install done, but its a fine time for the plane to be in the shop with no where to really go anyway.

Sorry, PPC1052, could not help but ask: how does it help the topic starter?

Sorry, PPC1052, could not help but ask: how does it help the topic starter?

It doesn't. But it helped me pass a few seconds. Maybe someone else will wish to discuss. Maybe not.

My insurance co requires type-specific (with a specified syllabus) every year ( I have a bfr which is current til 2022).
So even if we get the FAA on board, some of us will still have that detail to iron out.
My last ride was 5/4/2019.
My insurance renews May 31.

Our club requires a flight review every year, so obviously I don't worry about the FAA. That said, mine is due in June, so I sent an email to the CFII I've been using for a number of years seeing what his feelings were (I had seen him referenced in the log of the club plane I flew on Monday and he isn't a member, so...). He replied saying no problem. Looks like I need to reserve a club plane in early June.

Or just go do a BFR.

Plenty of single CFIs living alone who aren’t any more risk to you than the grocery store stocker who’s living with a medical worker who’s seeing Covid patients. LOL.

Yes. I know a Walmart employee who’s doing exactly that. At least the nurse he lives with knows how PPE actually works. Ha.

The paranoia is a bit much. If you feel a deep need to be current, and fly... all the cargo kids are still doing sim rides.

There’s a built in risk just like flying. Manage it as best ya can. It’s not exactly a congressional level problem.

Not that Congress is working, but that’s a different story. :)

Back