Air Wagner..... He’s baaaaackk.

So why the 421c over the 414. The 421 is really meant to cruise for long periods of time at altitude.
That's a pretty good point. He flies a lot but, by far, most of his flights are "local."

I've been on the Internet for 27 years... Back to when there was no web to speak of, all of our group interactions were via Usenet newsgroups, and when you wanted to learn something you started with Gopher. My first email client was elm,

1993 was my 1st year on usenet, and I was mostly using Pine for a newreader, and yes, Mosaic was what I used for looking at web pages. This was on a unix box, and I've forgotten 90% of what I used to know about unix and net administration.

Grocery distribution
With everything going in that business on these days, I'm surprised he has time to buy a plane, do a checkout and fly enough to form a squawk list.

Make it 37 years for me. I was working for the Army on Jan 1, 1983 when we cut over the NCP hosts on the ARPANet to TCP/IP. We dabbled a bit in IP working up to it but weren't using it seriously. We were using several precursor mail and message systems (NCP and UUCP-based email, USENET, etc...) for years before that. I got my first email account in 1977.

We used WAIS and some of the early HTML browsers even before Mosaic (but Mosaic was really the first practical one in my opinion).

I remember sitting home probably around 1993 or so watching in the Indy 500. The first commercial was for Valvoline and ended with a URL for their site. I figured the Internet had finally hit the masses if they expected someone watching the Indy 500 to know what the URL was for.

He kept confusing the FAF with the destination when referring to ETA and distance. And seem confused when going over GMN where he was and thought there was an airport there. I don’t think he understands what a checklist is for...Jerry had to stop him when he was reading line items without waiting for confirmation.

Tom

There is a weather reporting site near GMN, which he may have confused. There are a few private fields there.

So why the 421c over the 414. The 421 is really meant to cruise for long periods of time at altitude.

The 421 certainly can do shorter flights.

What makes you say this?
I doubt he means the 421 is not capable of the half hour flight between AUN and OAK or, for that matter, a 10 minute flight to have a $100 hamburger. Just that it is not the typical mission for a 250 kt cabin class pressurized twin with a 30,000 ft service ceiling.

I doubt he means the 421 is not capable of the half hour flight between AUN and OAK or, for that matter, a 10 minute flight to have a $100 hamburger. Just that it is not the typical mission for a 250 kt cabin class pressurized twin with a 30,000 ft service ceiling.

...which describes both the 414 and the 421. I guess I'm also a little bit confused as to why one poster was suggesting a 414 would be better than a 421 for the short trips. :dunno:

...which describes both the 414 and the 421. I guess I'm also a little bit confused as to why one poster was suggesting a 414 would be better than a 421 for the short trips. :dunno:
Did anyone suggest the 414 was better than a 421 for short trips? I took what I've seen in this thread more as saying that the 421 is not better than the 414 for short trips. They're roughly equally inappropriate for the mission.

Did anyone suggest the 414 was better than a 421 for short trips?

Well, this seems to strongly imply that:

I took what I've seen in this thread more as saying that the 421 is not better than the 414 for short trips. They're roughly equally inappropriate for the mission.

I agree, but the 414 is more loud about it. ;)

@bennyflyguy can you clarify what you meant with your comment above?

The 421 is pressurized and the 414 is not, right? I’d think the cost of maintaining the pressurization system and flying around at 4000 feet would make the 421 less appropriate.

Edit: it’s the 411 that’s not pressurized, not the 414. My bad.

The 421 is pressurized and the 414 is not, right? I’d think the cost of maintaining the pressurization system and flying around at 4000 feet would make the 421 less appropriate.

Edit: it’s the 411 that’s not pressurized, not the 414. My bad.

Yep. Both pressurized and turbocharged. Really, the main difference is the engines are geared on the 421, so the prop RPM is lower and thus they're quieter. Other than that, they're practically the same bird. Only visual difference is the "hump" on top of the cowl for the 421.

When you make metal in a geared engine it isn’t cheap, know of a guy that bought a used 421 with low hours on rebuilt engines but not flown frequently. He lost an engine within the first few months, luckily he was at 20,000 and was able to land at an airport.

When you make metal in a geared engine it isn’t cheap, know of a guy that bought a used 421 with low hours on rebuilt engines but not flown frequently. He lost an engine within the first few months, luckily he was at 20,000 and was able to land at an airport.

Owning any big twin cessna is not a casual financial exercise.

But it sure is nice. :)

Well, this seems to strongly imply that:

I agree, but the 414 is more loud about it. ;)

@bennyflyguy can you clarify what you meant with your comment above?

Well IMHO a 421, geared cabin class twin, is really designed for corporate type missions flying for utility longer hauls. Not for flying for fun. Those geared engines dont respond to ham handing short hop fun flying. You could say the same thing about the 414 sans the geared engine. But to me that 421 is meant to do a job so to speak.
Maybe Jerry does a lot of that flying that he doesn’t make vids of- but i doubt it. He makes vids of everything.
Good for him though. Sure he’ll have fun and we’ll have a lot to say about it lol. I think for VFR stuff he has pretty good stick and rudder skills. IMC work could use some polish and humble pie imo. -but so could mine I’m sure.

That and their inability to understand a simple departure procedure clearance. We missed the part leading up where they try to load up the departure clearance in the GPS and find it's not there. They then find it and completely misinterpret it:

1. They turn when not assigned a turn.
2. The appear (at least Jerry tells him to do so, can't tell if he did or not) go direct to the destination ("as filed") before appropriate.

ATC seems to have tolerated it and just gave them a DIRECT OGDEN instruction later on.

I love his disclaimer that this is for our entertainment and not intended to be instruction. :)

I love on every single flight he never thinks to set his altimeter or transponder code until AFTER he acknowledges his takeoff clearance. This is common to just about all of his videos.

How many of the people who post comments are qualified instrument pilots.
Many of the comments are so wrong that it makes it difficult to understand why they are posting. Jealous maybe?

He usually just flies between Oakland and his home drone, a flight of less than 100 miles, so he has everything memorized, so no wonder he can’t read a chart. He also maximum zoom into the georeference approach chart, and uses it to navigate the approach.

Tom
Are you a current instrument pilot?
Have you produced aviation videos?

Many of the comments are so wrong that it makes it difficult to understand why they are posting. Jealous maybe?
Jealous of dropping out of the clouds at > 45 degree bank and off the approach by miles? Not so much.

Are you a current instrument pilot?
Have you produced aviation videos?
Yes, and no I don’t see what doing an aviation video has to do with anything.

If having your flight videoed affects your flying in a negative way, I would lose the cameras.

Last edited:
Some seem pretty chummy with Jerry on the radio, especially the ones working the Sacramento sectors.

Doesn't he just edit in the audio like the other You Tube Heros? Maybe he needs to get some silly person to show him how.

Last edited:
Many of those who post the most negative comments are professional pilots. They have their biases too. POA Is relatively kind to Jerry.

Many of those who post the most negative comments are professional pilots. They have their biases too. POA Is relatively kind to Jerry.

I thought he meant the positive comments on YouTube were wrong and difficult to understand...

The more procedural your flying... is what I’ve noticed. Pros have a plan and fly it.

Watching MOST of the rest of us drives them to drink, but Jerry is way over the top.

I’m just a 20hr student, but that last 300’ didn’t look right to me...

Don't worry young Jedi, someday you too will be required to perform aerobatic maneuvers to make up for lack of instrument flying skills.;)

The more procedural your flying... is what I’ve noticed. Pros have a plan and fly it.

Watching MOST of the rest of us drives them to drink, but Jerry is way over the top.
You may be right. I'm not in the pro pilot league but it seems to apply to me too. Some of Jerry's visual antics may make me cringe a little, but they really don't bother me. His IFR foibles, OTOH...

Back