Wearing shoes in the house

Fair enough. I guess my point is that common courtesy should tell you to abide by what the homeowners requests are. I usually ask when entering if they want me to remove my shoes or not, most seem to indicate they would, others don’t have a preference. Not like it’s that big of a deal, it’s just having the couth to show respect in someone else’s home.
It's also common courtesy not to be rude to your guests as well. If you're talking about the real rules of etiquette, unless you're in Japan, expecting people to remove shoes is not proper.

Never did that growing up, still don't. I mean, I get it, it keeps the house a lot cleaner, but...

And it doesn't help that back when I was battling plantar fasciitis that the doctor told me to keep my shoes on all the time even when home. He was right, it helps.
I'm with you on the Plantar Fasciitis. I need the arch support or my heels hurt real bad. I wear shoes in the house all the time. My brother likes us to take the shoes off - no big problem for those few visits. But you gotta remind people - nothing goes without saying when it comes to habits.

I don’t ask ppl to remove footwear, but when they don’t, I drive these into my stocking/bare feet for the next week (hint; they are worse than stepping on leggo)

IMG_1783.jpeg

Huh. We have a vacuum. A few of them, in fact. Fortunately we don’t have burrs infesting the carpet.

No shoes in my home, thank you.

That’s not to say I never forgot something and ran back in to get it with my shoes on. But I would never want shoes on my furnitures. Plus shoes off is more comfortable for me. I don’t know many homes that allow shoes in the home.

If you’re going to ask people to take their shoes off when they enter your home, you need to have a bench and clean slippers by the door. Anything less is rude.

I could see a face-plant with socks sliding on wood floors. I have ortho's in my shoes, so I wear them in my house most of the time, unless muddy, etc. Easier on my foot and back. I'll kick 'em off in the evening when settled in. Some friends and families take 'em off, some don;t. I don't care. If I see a pile of shoes in the entrance I take mine off.

My carpet is so old and nasty it is probably better to wear shoes...

See, this thread is a reminder why urban assault teams are so ineffective in Asia.

If you’re going to ask people to take their shoes off when they enter your home, you need to have a bench and clean slippers by the door. Anything less is rude.

I see you point in some cases.... I always feel very self conscience if I'm not wearing socks and am asked to pull of my shoes in someone's house that I'm not overly familiar with....

and the dog's feet comment....
I've been thinking lately since most morning I have to wash the dog's feet after the AM walk, that it would be very cool to have a purpose built dog wash station set up in a house's mudroom entrance
Based on this thread, maybe it should also include a people foot wash station for folks like Charlie Golf!

I always remove my shoes at home, and other people's homes.
Growing up if I had walked into the house wearing shoes my mother would have slapped me into another time zone.

Back