At what point do the nerves calm down?

SC777

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
SC777
Did my second solo today. Flew about 20 miles east of KLVK to the practice area to work on S-Turns and turns around a point. Felt uneasy not having the CFI in the right seat. It was an uneventful hour but my focus was not as good as when I have my CFI in the airplane. I’m guessing that will pass over time. I’m 15 hours in as of today. Are these nerves normal, and when you were new to this, at what point did you guys start to feel confident in your flying?

You always want to have awareness when you are flying. Not anxiety, but awareness. If your anxiety passes through awareness into complacency, you should worry.

CONGRATS on your second solo. Great job. it will eventually pass, hopefully not into complacency.

The first solo cross country was a big confidence builder for me. The first couple solo flights do feel weird but that goes away quickly.

I felt nervous on first solo when the airplane leaped off the ground without that fat ass instructor next to me. I was flying a c150 lol
Must have been nice to drop the “heavy” from your call sign.

Not sure my smart ass instructor appreciated it when I told him the same thing :D

I was going to write something flippant to answer your question such as "After the third or fourth unplanned engine failure it usually goes away".

But seriously, are you a young person, or learning to fly late in life? Achieving the milestone of flying solo is one to be proud of. Well done!
Is it performing routine flying duties that gets you concerned? Or a concern about being able to handle something unusual? If the latter maybe a bit more repetition on those procedures might help.

Do you enjoy flying (with your instructor)? I mean really get a charge every time the wheels leave the ground, and can't wait till you can do it again?

Or is this like going to college, and you are doing it as a career path to lead to something else beyond flying a small plane?

Last edited:
@SC777 it means you understand the seriousness of flying. Healthy fear is good. Crippling fear is not. Your fear (uneasiness) will diminish as you gain confidence. This will happen with repetition. It’s been 20 years for me so I can’t tell you my “when”. People are built so different it probably wouldn’t help anyway. Congrats on your second solo!! You’ll be cool as a cucumber before you know it. :)

It’ll be back again though as you experience new things in aviation. IMC, bad weather, icing, mechanical issues, etc. Through experience, it’ll subside again.

I was going to write something flippant to answer your question such as "After the third or fourth unplanned engine failure it usually goes away".

But seriously, are you a young person, or learning to fly late in life? Achieving the milestone of flying solo is one to be proud of. Well done!
Is it performing routine flying duties that gets you concerned? Or a concern about being able to handle something unusual? If the latter maybe a bit more repetition on those procedures might help.

Do you enjoy flying (with your instructor)? I mean really get a charge every time the wheels leave the ground, and can't wait till you can do it again?

Or is this like going to college, and you are doing it as a career path to lead to something else beyond flying a small plane?

48yrs old. Flying for enjoyment, not a career. Yes, I very much like flying with my CFI. Just felt a little weird being solo (my first solo
last week was closed traffic, practicing TOALs). Just looking forward to the point of becoming comfortable, while keeping my situational awareness where it should be. Will start working on getting instrument rated as soon as have my private cert.

48yrs old. Flying for enjoyment, not a career. Yes, I very much like flying with my CFI. Just felt a little weird being solo (my first solo
last week was closed traffic, practicing TOALs). Just looking forward to the point of becoming comfortable, while keeping my situational awareness where it should be. Will start working on getting instrument rated as soon as have my private cert.

You've undertaken one of those "always learning" avocations and in doing so there always seems to be things that will make you a little uneasy. At the same time, as you do things they start to fall into the muscle memory category and things that seemed to be in the forefront of your mind now fall into the unconscious monitoring category. Congrats on the solo! You'll really enjoy the solo x/c work that's when it seems to come together.

Calm down? CALM DOWN!!! YOU MEAN THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO CALM DOWN????

Just kidding![1] Relax, it will come.

[1] Maybe...

I predict that once day, you will find that the "nerves" calm down once you're in the air. I still get nervous before a flight worrying about weather, wind, etc but once I'm in the air it all feels normal again. But then again, I never got nervous about landings either, which is the opposite of a lot of pilots.

I felt nervous on first solo when the airplane leaped off the ground without that fat ass instructor next to me. I was flying a c150 lol

I was big, my instructor bigger, things were, ah, close in the 150. Such a relief.

Then I could focus on my flying anxiety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You’ve bypassed the nerves of the under 21 pilot but replaced them with a better sense of mortality.

My experience is that you experience varying levels of anxiety and confidence as you proceed. It never really ends.

See the last page of the most recent issue of Flying for a relevant story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Excellent point Bill. My instructor/friend was a single, 20 something guy who was fearless and bullet proof. He would do things when we were flying in his Arrow that I wouldn't do such as purposely trying to scare his girlfriend or cranking on the elevator to almost stalling just to gain altitude rather than just accept the fact the in the Arizona heat, all you may get to 2 or 3 hundred feet per minute climb rate. I on the other hand had something to live for in my wife and twin daughters.

Wow, i was same as you, age, reason for flying. Eventually bought C150 and flew solo from MO to CA (don't try this yourself).
I still have healthy fear while flying (turbulence, cross-wing landings, Wx, etc). My first 'almost' IMC was scary as sh**! :eek:
You solo at 15 hours? Wow, my CFI wouldn't let me solo until close to 30hours (not due skill but suspect cause they wanted more $$). I personally couldn't WAIT until I kick out my sh**y CFI to solo! :D

Last edited:
Congrats try to relax without getting complacent.

Boy it's been so long since I was in training for my ppl that can't remember being nervous. Well except for the fear of stalling. I would consistently be 5kts fast on landing. Well that turned into the plane floating more than it should and several botched landings.

Nail the airspeed, don't get complacent, fully prepare for the flight and check things twice. Enjoy you flight and sore like an Eagle, have fun.

Last edited:
Yep, I hope to never become complacent while in the air. Right now, I've no time to be so as at this early stage I'm still working on not getting task saturated and staying ahead of the airplane. Oh, and no quiero Taco Bell!

Did my second solo today. Flew about 20 miles east of KLVK to the practice area to work on S-Turns and turns around a point. Felt uneasy not having the CFI in the right seat. It was an uneventful hour but my focus was not as good as when I have my CFI in the airplane. I’m guessing that will pass over time. I’m 15 hours in as of today. Are these nerves normal, and when you were new to this, at what point did you guys start to feel confident in your flying?

Normal.

I was an older student, in my 30s, and took flying a little more serious than my youthful instructor. He attributed my careful approach to flying as being a slow learner. After a few instructor changes I found a instructor that understood me and my reason for being careful, and then things clicked and training went smoothly and quickly.

I started feeling comfortable in a plane when working on the multi-commercial rating. The single engine commercial add on was pure fun. Then went to CFI training and flying from the right seat and started feeling like a beginner all over again...:lol:

but did you wear a mask?

..and as a serious reply

the more often you go the more comfortable you will feel.. but I always get "some" nerves. I think that's good. The day that nothing scares you is the day you get complacent and get in trouble.

Congrats on your second Solo!
I too am in the over 40 age group and just earned my wings to take family and friends up, well friends after the Rona! Still get a tiny bit nervous just prior to takeoff, but once I'm in the air I calm down. Probably due to a weird fear I have of engine problems on climb out. Once I've reached 1000 ft AGL with no ill sounding engine my nerves relax fairly quickly. For me I really started relaxing more after my two solo cross country flights. The first was a beautiful day and uneventful flight. The second was the next day with clouds at 3500 ft for the second half of my flight to the airport I set as my turnaround point. Mild turbulence, no Flight following as I was below the altitude they needed me to be at in this area to track me, and a busy airspace with plenty of pilots buzzing around just below the clouds. All in all the flight went well and helped boost my confidence quite a bit but during the flight there was a "what the heck did I get myself into" thought a time or two. Even considered turning back and scrapping the flight when I was 5 miles from the airport I intended to land at. Just then I came around the mountain edge that was hiding the airport, had it in sight and could see visibility was not a factor. Still slightly bumpy in the air, but I only needed one full stop landing. Touched down, taxi back, then started the return flight home. 10 miles into the flight the skies cleared back up, air became smooth, and my nervousness while still there was substantially less. That flight taught me a couple things that I keep in my brain but I think the biggest was to remain calm and fly the plane. Your flight instructor wont sign you off for solo unless he or she thinks you are ready. You know how to control the plane, how to navigate at least the local area and find your way home and even what to do in an emergency.
After those two flights I started creating a lesson plan of sorts for each flight. I wrote down anything I wanted to practice that I could practice solo- no unusual attitudes or hood time :) I would fly and focus on improving each item on my list, ensuring they were within the ACS specs and return to the home airport for landings. Some days went great, some days my nerves got the best of me and after a short time I'd return to try another day. Keep at it and the nerves calm down some but as others have said, its okay to have some nervousness as it keeps you thinking of the next step in case something goes wrong.

SC777, Congrats on soloing!

Are you training out of KVLK? How are you getting dual instruction with the shelter in place order? Who's planes are you flying? I'm training out of KOAK with Alameda Aero Club. I had month to go in March before my check ride that WAS supposed to be April 13 when the club shut down All flying activities. I haven't flown since March 13.

I have about 12 hours of solo time in. The 1st couple solos were pretty stressful. After that It got easier and easier. On my second solo, I took off from KOAK in clear skies headed for Byron. As soon as I got to the hills over Danville, clouds surrounded me right at my altitude of 3500'. Class B is at 4000' I couldn't turn back because ATC was busy with all kinds of traffic into KOAK. The pattern altitude was full of broken clouds too. I decided to work my way around the clouds and over the hill. The clouds on the Livermore side were more scattered but still way more than I felt I should have been interacting with. I called KLVK tower and got clearance to land. I was soooo happy to be on the ground again. I sat in the plane at the fuel pumps watching people fly in and out like it was nothing. I was worried that I was going to have to leave the plane and UBER home. I waited a couple more hours and ate lunch. The cloud layer broke up more and lifted to 4500. I had an uneventful flight home.

Each time I fly solo there seems to be a new "lesson" I teach myself the hard way ie: unexpected new noises. turbulence, flying through my wake practicing steep turns in smooth air wondering what the hell the bump was that I just hit....
Then again each time I get back and tie down the plane I'm more feel more relaxed and comfortable than the last flight.

With all the air traffic and radio work flying around the bay, I find it really hard to even think about relaxing. The only time I was able to relax and look at the scenery for a few minutes was on my cross countries after Norcal turns me over to Oakland Center.

flying through my wake practicing steep turns in smooth air wondering what the hell the bump was that I just hit

Yep, I remember that well. Thankfully I had already done it with my instructor and when it happened solo I just grinned knowing I did it right.

Unnecessary, irrational jitters are inversely proportional to frequency of flight.. if I fly a few times a week regularly, the pre-flight and in-flight "butterflies" based on nothing tend to go away. However, that makes more room for thoughtful concern and attention to detail. That's a good thing. If I haven't flown in a while, I'm nervous during the entire drive to the airport, the preflight, and up until the moment the plane leaves the ground. At that point, the nerves usually dissipate rapidly, but the caution doesn't. Two different things.

I found in interesting that the OP mentioned he was unable to focus as well as he could with the CFI present. I am the EXACT opposite. I get so wrapped up in wondering what my CFI is thinking and what he wants me to do instead of just instinctively flying the airplane that I miss stuff when he's in the plane that I never miss when he's not.

I found in interesting that the OP mentioned he was unable to focus as well as he could with the CFI present. I am the EXACT opposite. I get so wrapped up in wondering what my CFI is thinking and what he wants me to do instead of just instinctively flying the airplane that I miss stuff when he's in the plane that I never miss when he's not.

When I was in the heat of flight training I was more relaxed with a CFI next to me. Probably due to the idea that a knowledgeable person was sitting next to me and wouldn't let me kill myself. When solo all that responsibility fell on me and me alone.
I even did a crazy gusty crosswind flight one day where we were practically hovering over the runway before set down. I say set down as it was more like a helo landing than a fixed wing landing. Ground roll was crazy short and there was only one other pilot in the pattern who was experiencing the same thing. I would have never considered such a flight solo but felt confident with an experienced flyer in the right seat. Looking back, was it a great decision, maybe not, but we knew when we had had enough and called it quits with only 4 landings. I have no plans in the future to go out knowing I'll have a 15 gusting 30+ wind with some crosswind factor but if I do get stuck in it by accident I at least have some knowledge on how to attack it. Truth be told, that day, he kept fairly quiet and let me fly the plane. We briefed it on the ground a lot before going up but then it was a lot of him sitting and letting me learn.

As others have mentioned, the more you fly in a given period of time, the better you'll feel. When I flew 130+ hours a year (non-professionally) that was about right to make flying in most weather conditions routine, where you could concentrate on the real challenges and not the actual flying.

SC777, Congrats on soloing!

Are you training out of KVLK? How are you getting dual instruction with the shelter in place order? Who's planes are you flying? I'm training out of KOAK with Alameda Aero Club. I had month to go in March before my check ride that WAS supposed to be April 13 when the club shut down All flying activities. I haven't flown since March 13.

I have about 12 hours of solo time in. The 1st couple solos were pretty stressful. After that It got easier and easier. On my second solo, I took off from KOAK in clear skies headed for Byron. As soon as I got to the hills over Danville, clouds surrounded me right at my altitude of 3500'. Class B is at 4000' I couldn't turn back because ATC was busy with all kinds of traffic into KOAK. The pattern altitude was full of broken clouds too. I decided to work my way around the clouds and over the hill. The clouds on the Livermore side were more scattered but still way more than I felt I should have been interacting with. I called KLVK tower and got clearance to land. I was soooo happy to be on the ground again. I sat in the plane at the fuel pumps watching people fly in and out like it was nothing. I was worried that I was going to have to leave the plane and UBER home. I waited a couple more hours and ate lunch. The cloud layer broke up more and lifted to 4500. I had an uneventful flight home.

Each time I fly solo there seems to be a new "lesson" I teach myself the hard way ie: unexpected new noises. turbulence, flying through my wake practicing steep turns in smooth air wondering what the hell the bump was that I just hit....
Then again each time I get back and tie down the plane I'm more feel more relaxed and comfortable than the last flight.

With all the air traffic and radio work flying around the bay, I find it really hard to even think about relaxing. The only time I was able to relax and look at the scenery for a few minutes was on my cross countries after Norcal turns me over to Oakland Center.

Thanks. Yep, I am training out of Livermore. Masks are required when entering the facility but training is ongoing. I can imagine learning at KOAK must be an "in at the deep end" experience with lots going on. You probably flew right over my house as we live in Danville. With clouds at 3,500' you don't wanna get too close to Diablo!

Congrats on the solo! I’m 52 years old and got my ppl in early February. I was able to relax a lot more once I did my solo XC flights. Now if I haven’t flown in a while I get amped up a little on the way to the airport but as soon as I’m in the air it’s all good.

KOAK is actually a hidden secret for flight training. Not many people work the pattern. The controllers are really nice. They talk normally and clearly. It's like there's never a rush. Even when it's busy. Just don't do pattern work on weekdays around 5pm when all the commuter jets, FedEx and UPS planes are coming in.

I hate flying into Livermore. I feel like the controllers are hopped up on Skittles. They talk 100mph. I always have to ask them to "say again" . I read an article in one of the flying magazines that someone almost flew into the side of a hill in IFR because the controller was talking so fast the pilot couldn't understand him.

Everyone has given great answers here, I still get butterflies on the way to the airport, part of the thrill.

A story, I was at a focus group with a bunch of pilots, probably about a year ago, there were about 25 seasoned pilots there. This was a marketing study for a company thinking about building a new airplane. Sometime during the questions a discussion came up. The question was, how long did it take after you passed your ppl check ride, before you were completely comfortable flying by yourself. Now these were seasoned pilots, who fly some impressive airplanes. The consensus was that it took about 50 hours or so after getting your license to feel really comfortable in the airplane alone. I was really surprised that everyone felt this way, I thought I was the only one.

So OP, as others have said, nervousness, or butterflies, are a good thing, it means you have a healthy respect for what you are doing and treating it as it should be treated. You will get more and more comfortable as you fly so fly as often as you can. Remember this, your CFI would not let you go if he didn't know you were ready. And with good pilots, the CFI always knows the pilot is ready before the pilot himself. Have fun!

KOAK is actually a hidden secret for flight training. Not many people work the pattern. The controllers are really nice. They talk normally and clearly. It's like there's never a rush. Even when it's busy. Just don't do pattern work on weekdays around 5pm when all the commuter jets, FedEx and UPS planes are coming in.

I hate flying into Livermore. I feel like the controllers are hopped up on Skittles. They talk 100mph. I always have to ask them to "say again" . I read an article in one of the flying magazines that someone almost flew into the side of a hill in IFR because the controller was talking so fast the pilot couldn't understand him.

Haha, I think I know who you are referring to. There’s one guy that seems to work early afternoon shifts that talks super fast and is hard to understand. The other guys and gals are really good, friendly and easy to understand. KLVK is a training center for controllers. Sometimes you can tell....

One thing I don’t think that’s been mentioned is the jitters I used to get when taking a new make/model SEL up for the first time and something to think about as your flying experience expands. Even with hours of ground study of the POH, cockpit review and study of the numbers, there was always a fear of something different in the characteristics was going to cause a smoking hole.

This went away after a younger CFI checking me out in a Rotax 912 powered LSA observed that the power settings were about double what I used in the Pipers, Cessnas and others powered by Lycomings and Continentals in various flight regimes. A light bulb went on in my head. SEL GA Airplanes all have very similar characteristics. So if you get the differences between designs and procedures down by study of the POH and cockpit layout, it’s very unlikely anything will surprise you.

After that, all the trepidation about a first flight in a different plane receded into the noise level.

Bottom line, if you know what you need to do in the cockpit, lift gets simpler and less scary.

Cheers

Back