Home Simulator

SJV

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
SJV
I am a Private Pilot who has not flown for years. I'm going to sign up for a Rusty Pilot program and while I am at it add an IFR rating. I really want to get a home flight simulator, complete system, but I am having trouble deciding on which. I see Redbird has systems for home, but then there's Xforce with the Gleim table and monitors with controls. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks...SJV

Are you looking for a certified system where you can log time, or just something for home practice?

I really want to get a home flight simulator, complete system, but I am having trouble deciding on which. I see Redbird has systems for home, but then there's Xforce with the Gleim table and monitors with controls. Any ideas would be appreciated.
None are good enough for substituting for real flying. For IFR prep you can get MSFSX with the external xConnect to an EFB like Avare that gives you all the current Plates Charts.. or P3D, or XPlane also you can connect to Avare, which is what Gleim uses, and get familiar with the procedures, ATC ..
None are good for landings, but if you want more of a Real sensation, to look around, mostly good for VFR, you can add some VR headsetto XPlane rather than spend all that money for the others sims.

Are you looking for a certified system where you can log time, or just something for home practice?
There's nothing he can use to log time in his situation. The only thing that you can do (on some units) without an instructor is maintain instrument currency.

There's nothing he can use to log time in his situation. The only thing that you can do (on some units) without an instructor is maintain instrument currency.

Your right. I was trying to gauge expectations for the simulator.

I’m actually putting together a home simulator now, even using an older computer XPlane 11 does ok on medium settings.

It’s great for IFR related work where most of the stuff to learn is procedural.

Seeking helper who has received FAA LoA approval. My need: write an OAG that "flies" thru Mr Bernard's office. XP 11.3 is alive and working.

There's quite a few threads in here talking about home systems. I'd use the search feature and start there.

What's your goal? Simulators aren't any good for VFR flying except a few navigational skills. They're good for IFR procedure practice, but unless you're spending several thousand for a certified system, you can't log them.

I have two FAA documents, both dated 12Sep2018, AC 61-136B and Vol 11 Flight Standards Programs Chapter 10 ATD. CFII w 3 students, 3-years USAF Certified IFT instructor (T-37B). If experienced gaining FAA approval, please consider helping me same.

bflynn: BATD LoA, minimum hardware add-on (i.e., controls). XP ignored my request for help. Best 'tuber' is Russ Barlow. He is far advanced, excellent resource. I emailed siminnovations. Have you obtained a LoA for a BATD, or know someone who has?

Home sims are really only good for procedural training. Doing this right really relies on you being strict with yourself to stick to standards. For roughly brushing up some skills it may be useful, but until you have flown with a CFI again for awhile, you need to be careful not to develop bad habits.

Jeff, You may know someone who was successful obtaining FAA BATD LoA? Experienced helper sought.

Request help writing a "bullet proof" OAG. see above.

Back