Air Wagner..... He’s baaaaackk.

Couple of snarky comments made while taxing & holding short. Nothing crazy but not sure I'd air it on YT all the same.

Couple of snarky comments made while taxing & holding short. Nothing crazy but not sure I'd air it on YT all the same.
You mean you'd air all the other things he does? The misreading of approaches, the blaming of ATC for his mistakes, the unusual attitudes while flying an ILS...?

How do you infer that?

He was making fun of how the guy was talking. So what? I'm from the Boston area, people comment on my accent all the time, NBD.

He was making fun of how the guy was talking. So what? I'm from the Boston area, people comment on my accent all the time, NBD.

He was also making fun of how slow the Cessna was, I don’t blame him for that. His copilot wasn’t helping him and seem confused. AW has enough challenges without having a clueless copilot. And he doesn’t seem to like to fly high, basically flying the minimum altitude, he never reached his target altitude of 8500, stopped at 6500, which I think is the highest I’ve seen him fly.

He was also making fun of how slow the Cessna was, I don’t blame him for that. His copilot wasn’t helping him and seem confused. AW has enough challenges without having a clueless copilot. And he doesn’t seem to like to fly high, basically flying the minimum altitude, he never reached his target altitude of 8500, stopped at 6500, which I think is the highest I’ve seen him fly.
Jerry confuses easily, the copilot is an ATP and when I've seen him fly on Jerry's videos he seems pretty sharp to me.

Jerry doesn't allow his videos to be embedded on forums. It's the result of significant trashing on Reddit. But it is available (for now; he's been known to remove some particularly bad ones) if you open it in YouTube.

Tried to open in YouTube, says “private video”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jerry confuses easily, the copilot is an ATP and when I've seen him fly on Jerry's videos he seems pretty sharp to me.

He kept confusing the FAF with the destination when referring to ETA and distance. And seem confused when going over GMN where he was and thought there was an airport there. I don’t think he understands what a checklist is for...Jerry had to stop him when he was reading line items without waiting for confirmation.

Tom

I don’t know that he was making fun, just rather more amazed, at least that was my impression. I wear my slow speed as a badge of honor at my field, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, that bank angle to final, he must have been carrying big speed...

"Jan Winnicki 1 day ago
Love to see a pilot that is competent at the controls! Nice tight flying man. Yes, base to final was a bit steep but nose was down and you were not pulling g's so little risk of stall."

What? Not pulling G's in a steep turn??

"Jan Winnicki 1 day ago
Love to see a pilot that is competent at the controls! Nice tight flying man. Yes, base to final was a bit steep but nose was down and you were not pulling g's so little risk of stall."

What? Not pulling G's in a steep turn??
Well, I guess he was shedding load by accelerating. His airspeed was pretty steady but his vertical speed was increasing through the turn - you know, like his ILSes ;)

Last edited:
oops, never mind, I mistook it for an non-towered field

Last edited:
What’s Jerry do for a living anyway?

Fixin to be keeping the geared engine side of Continental in business if he doesn’t operate way different than the 320/414. :)
Since he's "lowering the nose" during those 60 degree bank turns, and "not pulling g's", maybe that'll keep things lubricated better.

I'm not sure how he gets the plane to turn faster without pulling more g's, but that's another conversation.

Jerry definitely at times fly patterns like he used to be in the military. He looks to me to use some sort of "overhead break" maneuver when turning from downwind to base / final, which is typical in the military when they have lots of high performance aircraft to get down in a hurry. I am not saying that he should or is doing that, but it appears that he might be. There is nothing wrong with using that technique, other than the fact that on a civilian airport with other traffic it would not be wise in my opinion to be flying that sort of a pattern while others are flying the more typical "AIM" recommended GA pattern. The two just don't mix.

I found his videos when searching for GTN 750 instructional videos. He actually provides pretty decent instruction in some of the more arcane uses of the GTN 750. And I do drool over his airplane, including his new one.

Jerry doesn't seem to have a care in the world. That is a cool airplane and he probably bought it for relatively short money. The key I suppose is being able to keep it running, which he doesn't seem to have any problem with. I would love an airplane like that, but my concern is getting to and maintaining proficiency in it. Plus I probably wouldn't be insurable with no ME experience.

Jerry definitely at times fly patterns like he used to be in the military. He looks to me to use some sort of "overhead break" maneuver when turning from downwind to base / final, which is typical in the military when they have lots of high performance aircraft to get down in a hurry. I am not saying that he should or is doing that, but it appears that he might be. There is nothing wrong with using that technique, other than the fact that on a civilian airport with other traffic it would not be wise in my opinion to be flying that sort of a pattern while others are flying the more typical "AIM" recommended GA pattern. The two just don't mix.
I'm not a military pilot and I haven't played one on TV, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. My limited understanding is that the overhead break is a maneuver to efficiently transition from cruise speed on upwind, possibly in close formation, to pattern speed on downwind, with proper spacing between planes. Basically, it gets you from "coming in hot" to a stabilized approach. I've never heard of it involving high-bank, low-G turns from base to final. I don't think Jerry flies at all like he used to be in the military. Or in the airlines. Or in ag flying. Or aerobatics. Or any other type of flying that requires professionalism, discipline, and energy management.

Last edited:
What’s Jerry do for a living anyway?

Grocery distribution

Fixin to be keeping the geared engine side of Continental in business if he doesn’t operate way different than the 320/414. :)

He's quite knowledgeable for a non-mechanic on maintenance and operation. I know the 421C was on his radar for some time, so I can only assume he's studied up about the quirks of those engines (his are RAM).

Me, too! It's a sweet ride, especially when your typical mission is a 91 NM flight from KAUN to KOAK or back.

With no smilie present, I'm just going to hope you're joking. If you're flying 91nm legs, a 421, or even anything at all with a turbo, is utterly pointless.

Jerry has a sweet new airplane, an Cessna 421C.

Someone alert ATC!

Not kidding - Some of the controllers in his area were posting things over on Facebook about how they know his tail number and always get on their best, by-the-book behavior when he goes flying because they're expecting their tape to be part of an accident investigation docket.

File under "you know you're a terrible pilot when..."

Someone alert ATC!

Not kidding - Some of the controllers in his area were posting things over on Facebook about how they know his tail number and always get on their best, by-the-book behavior when he goes flying because they're expecting their tape to be part of an accident investigation docket.

File under "you know you're a terrible pilot when..."

Some seem pretty chummy with Jerry on the radio, especially the ones working the Sacramento sectors.

With no smilie present, I'm just going to hope you're joking. If you're flying 91nm legs, a 421, or even anything at all with a turbo, is utterly pointless.

Really? You need a smiley face to figure that one out? Don’t worry, you’ll get the hang of this internet thing eventually.... <big giant smiley face emoji> <laughing out loud emoji> <I am just messing with ya emoji>

He does much longer stuff, which he doesn't always post.
Understandable. Other than the unusual attitudes on the ILS videos, the worst I've seen have been the procedural SNAFUs when going to an unfamiliar airport. The old, lost, Fullerton departure where ATC has to vector him around an easy SID and the lovely example which started this thread are decent examples.

I admit to being one of those who waits for the trip to the different airport. Reliance on automation has reduced the errors in the AUN-OAK-AUN run. And now that he has full VPATH capability (although I haven seen the video with the new plane, that was obvious from the two previous videos) that route will be downright boring.

He does much longer stuff, which he doesn't always post.

Not often, I’m not a fanboy, but the ones I have seen it’s Auburn-Oakland or Auburn to Sacramento, and rarely above 4000’.

So why the 421c over the 414. The 421 is really meant to cruise for long periods of time at altitude.

Really? You need a smiley face to figure that one out? Don’t worry, you’ll get the hang of this internet thing eventually.... <big giant smiley face emoji> <laughing out loud emoji> <I am just messing with ya emoji>

I've been on the Internet for 27 years... Back to when there was no web to speak of, all of our group interactions were via Usenet newsgroups, and when you wanted to learn something you started with Gopher. My first email client was elm, and I still remember the first time I saw the web with Mosaic 1.0. That was the first time I ever saw a URL.

That's long enough to know that there's plenty of people who actually mean the things they post without smilies.

Also long enough to know better and post smilies on my own posts to get the tone across correctly. :p

Also, I'm old. :eek:

Back