BEST COMEDY FILMS

No, but here is W.C. Fields...

LOVE W.C. One of my favorite quotes, or at least a close proximity...

"I always keep some stimulant handy in case I see a snake. I also keep a snake handy...."

For those who don't remember, "Stimulant" was his word for booze...

Spoof westerns:
Gunless
Evil Roy Slade

Slightly less ordinary:

Kentucky Fried Movie
Black Dynamite (thanks @GeorgeC )
Sorry to Bother You
What We Do in the Shadows (the movie, not the show)
Kung Fury
Shaun of the Dead
Hot Fuzz
The Art of Self Defense

Nauga,
off kilter

Blazing Saddles is probably #1 on my list. You could never make it today, someone would be offended. In our lab a number of years ago we considered ourselves equal opportunity abusers. We picked on everyone equally. The movie did that, as well.

Airplane. Stick around here long enough and your find a thread where someone is quoting something from that movie.

It's a mad, mad world is great.

Those magnificent men in their flying machines is great fun, too.

Wolf of Wall Street is up there on the list.

Airplane. Stick around here long enough and your find a thread where someone is quoting something from that movie.
Counterpoint, "Jack Kilpatrick":
They bought their tickets, Shana. They knew what they were getting into. I say Let them crash!

There's one filmic combination rarely seen: the romantic comedy where the Handsome Stranger is an engineer. In Choose Me, he's even a pilot, so there's a POA connection. Keith Carradine is a (mechanical) engineer, gets the know-it-all personality and mannerisms just right. He chats up the various women, who invariably fall for his charming wit, even though they are somewhat skeptical of his tall tales. It's all extremely clever, but, with no obvious gags or laugh track, you have to pay attention.

The cast is from various countries. Some of the dialog is non-English; fun if you are multilingual.

One of the writers was a scholar of 19th century German opera, watch for the reference.

It's quirky, oddly paced, lots of fun if it resonates.

I can't believe Fast Times at Ridgemont High hasn't made the cut yet.

Back