Buying first plane or the 2nd plane?

Best first and kinda 2nd forever plane

• Total voters
The good news is we are both fairly young (I'm in my 30s) so I'm not too concerned with getting in and out of planes for us yet. I do really want to sit in one. If anyone lives near Omaha NE I would love to be able to come by the hangar with my mask on.
I'd always heard that sitting in a Mooney was like sitting in a Porshe. I'd never been in a Porshe but I did my instrument and commercial in a C model Mooney. Then my buddy bought an old 912. First time he took me for a ride I got in it and said holy sh*t, its like sitting in a Mooney.

A Tiger, older M20F or older 182 could work for your budget if you happened to find one with some avionics upgrades already done. I'd also consider Arrows and possibly RG Cardinals. Curious as to you why you're looking to build time for an ATP. Are you planning to change careers?
Yes I am planning to go full time aviation. I'm a little old (late 30s). At this point I think it will kinda depend on how bad the virus slows the industry down. I've always wanted to fly professionally. I'm planning to close my current business due to the virus and I'm just done doing it with all the risks and damage( I own a boat rental company). So I'm transitioning to getting all my ratings done this year and starting a more passive side business as a backup to aviation if it doesn't pan out. ( I have a 2nd business doing rental property and plan to grow that now, I can farm out the day to day management if I end up getting hired at a regional)

I'd always heard that sitting in a Mooney was like sitting in a Porshe. I'd never been in a Porshe but I did my instrument and commercial in a C model Mooney. Then my buddy bought an old 912. First time he took me for a ride I got in it and said holy sh*t, its like sitting in a Mooney.
I was worried going from a 172 to a Mooney M20C would make the commercial check ride more difficult to do the maneuvers like landing precisely or the chandelles etc? I'm just starting commercial training so this I one of my hesitations moving away from a 172 lol. Was it good for the maneuvers? Not too much more difficult to use a mooney for it in your opinion?

This is my biggest concern with the Mooney. Labor hours and retractable gear. The numbers are great. I tried to get ahold of Wilmar MN shop but have had trouble getting a call back...if anyone knows a Mooney shop in Midwest I can ask more questions to that would be great. I am very mechanical ( I work on boats) so I don't mind turning wrenches.

They are about same as other complex planes, an annual will run $1500-2000. The biggest expenses for most planes in your price range will be engine related. The older planes have manual gear and flaps and a carbureted engine, so that’s as inexpensive as it gets. If you stick with C,M, P or B brands you shouldn’t have too much problems finding parts, although I think B is outside of your price range.
Understand the price you pay for the plane will be dwarfed by other expenses over time: fuel, insurance, maintenance, tie down, etc.

1. Grumman Tiger. Probably my top choice but concerned about parts availability...
Forgot to mention that I wouldn't worry about Grumman parts availability. These planes are very simple, so there aren't many parts to it. And what few parts you might need is pretty well supported.

This is great info on each model thank you. On the Mooneys I am mostly looking at nice C or Es. I would consider F or G for a bit of extra info. I'm looking at all 60s models up to about '68. Good to know about the difference in motors on the 360 180 HP and 200 hp...I wasn't aware of the 180 being more reliable.
M20G is a C with more leg room (180hp) - M20F is an E with more leg room (200hp). Personally, my 1B is useful in the same way my GS1200 is useful - cheap to run and fun solo or two-up.
My next will be a 206 (ideal) or 210 (cheaper), which in a sense mirror my 1 ton work trucks... But if we weren’t expanding our family past the current 4 pax, you wouldn’t be able to pry me out of a Tiger.

I am surprised.. i have been seriously considering the efficiency of the vintage Mooney.
The gross take-off weight for my M20E is 2575 lbs. My ship empty weight is 1695 lbs, I weigh 230 lbs, my wife weighs 150 lbs. If I take 312 lbs of gas, it leaves 188 lbs. Plenty for 2 people: we never have more than 55 lbs of baggage. But not so good if a child is added.

Yes I am planning to go full time aviation. I'm a little old (late 30s). At this point I think it will kinda depend on how bad the virus slows the industry down. I've always wanted to fly professionally. I'm planning to close my current business due to the virus and I'm just done doing it with all the risks and damage( I own a boat rental company). So I'm transitioning to getting all my ratings done this year and starting a more passive side business as a backup to aviation if it doesn't pan out. ( I have a 2nd business doing rental property and plan to grow that now, I can farm out the day to day management if I end up getting hired at a regional)
Tough to say what this is going to do to the industry. I began my pro flying stint in spring of 2001 so I can say with some authority that timing can be a factor in how the career transition goes. Right now, my hunch is the time to get into airline flying was either 2-3 years ago or 3-5 years from now but that' s only my guess.

I was worried going from a 172 to a Mooney M20C would make the commercial check ride more difficult to do the maneuvers like landing precisely or the chandelles etc? I'm just starting commercial training so this I one of my hesitations moving away from a 172 lol. Was it good for the maneuvers? Not too much more difficult to use a mooney for it in your opinion?
I thought it was great plane to do the commercial in, but I had well over 100 hours in it before I started working on the comm stuff. Doing it with less time in type might add a few hours to your training but I don't think it'd be impossible. That wing is slippery so it'll get away from you if you let it. But I think that just requires you to be that much more precise with the maneuvers which I saw as a good thing.

What speeds do you see on the 182 for cruise? I mean trade a plane has speeds at 75 percent cruise but I never know how reliable the book speeds are.
They range from 135-145 depending on rigging and year. The newer, the faster.

M20G is a C with more leg room (180hp) - M20F is an E with more leg room (200hp). Personally, my 1B is useful in the same way my GS1200 is useful - cheap to run and fun solo or two-up.
My next will be a 206 (ideal) or 210 (cheaper), which in a sense mirror my 1 ton work trucks... But if we weren’t expanding our family past the current 4 pax, you wouldn’t be able to pry me out of a Tiger.
What sort of range can you get off the AA1B? Like for 2 do you have to fill less fuel? How much range with 2 adults in that situation?

Well equipped. But with that engine time I don't think I'd plan on keeping it more than 150-200 hours unless you're going to keep it forever.
Nice yeah whatever I buy if it's not a 2 seater C150 time builder Ill probably plan on keeping forever and overhauling the engine eventually

The gross take-off weight for my M20E is 2575 lbs. My ship empty weight is 1695 lbs, I weigh 230 lbs, my wife weighs 150 lbs. If I take 312 lbs of gas, it leaves 188 lbs. Plenty for 2 people: we never have more than 55 lbs of baggage. But not so good if a child is added.
Hmm that empty weight is higher than I had expected. Most seems to have a bit higher useful load at least the trade a plane specs show that. Any other Mooney owners can you chime in with useful load?

Tough to say what this is going to do to the industry. I began my pro flying stint in spring of 2001 so I can say with some authority that timing can be a factor in how the career transition goes. Right now, my hunch is the time to get into airline flying was either 2-3 years ago or 3-5 years from now but that' s only my guess.

I thought it was great plane to do the commercial in, but I had well over 100 hours in it before I started working on the comm stuff. Doing it with less time in type might add a few hours to your training but I don't think it'd be impossible. That wing is slippery so it'll get away from you if you let it. But I think that just requires you to be that much more precise with the maneuvers which I saw as a good thing.
Just so I can nail the 1000 ft markers... honestly at this point if I time build to 400 hrs and take the commercial test with the virus slowing aviation jobs down it probably doesn't matter so I'll just get good n ready.

How are Tigers for IFR? They seem touchy and quick so I wonder a bit about IFR. I'm also on the Grumman gang email chains so maybe I'll check there as well.

The Tiger is responsive. Fly it with finger tips like you should, and it is not much different than other airplanes for IFR. The 182 is like a pickup truck, and the Mooney is stiff in roll, at least that is my impression. The Bo is very much like the Tiger in response to co tell inputs and forces on the control.

Nice yeah whatever I buy if it's not a 2 seater C150 time builder Ill probably plan on keeping forever and overhauling the engine eventually
I know that there are people out there whose first airplane turns out to be their forever airplane but I think you're betting against the house if you bank on that.

I think you're gonna have a hard time finding a decent candidate with IFR GPS (what about ADSB?) with most on that list within that budget. Maybe a Sundowner/Musketeer? I don't know much about those. I know I'm biased, but I really think the Tiger sounds like a good compromise for what you want. Relatively fast and economical, very fun. 182 is good, but you're gonna be burning more fuel unnecessarily if most of your flying is going to be solo travel/time building. 172 would work, but I just can't fathom owning one after having had my Tiger.

I bought my AG5B kinda as my 1st and 2nd airplane. I was in a flying club Cardinal for 8 years before that. Tiger excels a 177 in every way except in roominess/ease of entry. Tiger has a surprisingly roomy back seat and is very comfortable (I've flown 2/3rds-way across US with an adult passenger in the back with no complaints). Of course the easy folding rear seats are a HUGE bonus. I can fully lay down with some xtra room (I'm 5'9"). IFR is no biggie. A 2-axis autopilot would be ideal. Find one with wheel pants...there aren't tons of xtras laying around, I seem to recall. Fletchair is the go to for Grumman-specific parts.

Perhaps prices may drop in the next few months if you feel like waiting it out.

Hmm that empty weight is higher than I had expected. Most seems to have a bit higher useful load at least the trade a plane specs show that. Any other Mooney owners can you chime in with useful load?
My M20E is a Chapparal, meaning electric everything and not the lightest. However, I took a checkout in a 1967 M20E Super 21 and it was 1651 lbs empty: only 44 lbs lighter.

What sort of range can you get off the AA1B? Like for 2 do you have to fill less fuel? How much range with 2 adults in that situation?

I get book range, and two up isn’t an issue...although they climb at the speed of smell. You’d need to be smoking good grass to treat it as a long range transport, but the most fun I’ve had not laying down was flying it the length of the US.

http://www.grumman.net/cgrcc/specs.html

Just so I can nail the 1000 ft markers... honestly at this point if I time build to 400 hrs and take the commercial test with the virus slowing aviation jobs down it probably doesn't matter so I'll just get good n ready.

A Comanche 180 is probably the most overall performance per dollar that one can get out of a O-360. No spar worries as it was designed and built by the other Piper Aircraft, the one up in Lock Haven, PA. You can haul 900-1,000 lbs, get 135-140 KTAS, burn 10 gph, and fly 650+ NM. Great support community. Depending on engine times and equipment, these birds can go for anywhere from $30K to $70K. The higher end comes with good engine times and spiffy avionics. The Comanche 180 is a very sweet flying bird and very strong. It can be quite economical if you can pilot an electric screwdriver and have a friendly IA that is happy to let you do owner assisted maintenance. Comanches are also sexy looking and have better cabin room than Mooneys. What is not to like?

I am surprised.. i have been seriously considering the efficiency of the vintage Mooney. They seem to be able to carry a decent amount of weight even with full tanks. Most of my flying will be solo due to the time building factor and my work trips...but occasionally the wife and kid will go with or I will be picking up one other person. Can you clarify more? is the mooney just too low on useful load>? Yeah i hear you on the budget but I can't really do more than $60k right now. I want to play for the plane in full cash with no loan...unless you have an idea how to convince a CPA wife to take out a $60k loan lol on an airplane...

Can't go wrong with a Mooney for speed, efficient and cost of acquisition and operation. For my wife and I it's perfect, in cruise we can keep 1 seat forward and 1 back to have all the room we need. 1000 lbs usable, 5 1/5 hrs cruise and it's great at IFR.

This is my biggest concern with the Mooney. Labor hours and retractable gear. The numbers are great. I tried to get ahold of Wilmar MN shop but have had trouble getting a call back...if anyone knows a Mooney shop in Midwest I can ask more questions to that would be great. I am very mechanical ( I work on boats) so I don't mind turning wrenches.

Check Mooneyspace. Lot's of details on maintenance, maintenance costs, reliability. There's a number of great Mooney shops, one most notably in Longview, TX. Good luck, and buy a Mooney.

A Comanche 180 is probably the most overall performance per dollar that one can get out of a O-360. No spar worries as it was designed and built by the other Piper Aircraft, the one up in Lock Haven, PA. You can haul 900-1,000 lbs, get 135-140 KTAS, burn 10 gph, and fly 650+ NM. Great support community. Depending on engine times and equipment, these birds can go for anywhere from $30K to $70K. The higher end comes with good engine times and spiffy avionics. The Comanche 180 is a very sweet flying bird and very strong. It can be quite economical if you can pilot an electric screwdriver and have a friendly IA that is happy to let you do owner assisted maintenance. Comanches are also sexy looking and have better cabin room than Mooneys. What is not to like?

Check the insurance on them. I had a quote on a 180 and a 250. The 180 was more expensive, because of the higher rate of landing/takeoff accident claims. Or at least that is what I recall, but that was 10 years ago now.

I really like the 182 for a first airplane: There's a crap-ton of them out there, so they're easy to find, easy to buy, easy to maintain, and easy to sell. They aren't the best at anything, but they're pretty darn good at everything.

I own a Mooney M20R Ovation - Obviously, you won't get one of those for $60K, but the older Mooneys are great for efficiency. I think you'd do well with an M20E. It sounds to me like your mission is going to be majority solo/long trips, with occasional family participation. The Mooney will save you a lot of money on gas.

If you can get a bird that can carry the load you want plus four hours of fuel, that is PLENTY. Don't make the family do legs over 3 hours if you want them to come with you again, regardless of what type you're flying. ;)

A few other posters have mentioned it, @Kristin gave the best detail, but you should definitely consider a Comanche. The PA24-180 would be analagous to an M20C in terms of speed and efficiency, maybe a few knots slower. However, it does have a larger cabin and higher useful load. A Comanche 250 would have operating costs more like those of the 182, but would also give you a much higher speed.

The other thing the Comanche has going for it is price. About a year ago, I helped someone who was looking for a plane in a slightly lower price range than yours, who wanted good cross country ability, and good useful load (they were going to be carrying scuba tanks frequently) find a Comanche 250 for $45K that already had WAAS GPS and ADS-B, and this was well before the market tanked. You can get a lot of bang for your buck here, so well worth considering.

I think you're gonna have a hard time finding a decent candidate with IFR GPS (what about ADSB?) with most on that list within that budget. Maybe a Sundowner/Musketeer? I don't know much about those. I know I'm biased, but I really think the Tiger sounds like a good compromise for what you want. Relatively fast and economical, very fun. 182 is good, but you're gonna be burning more fuel unnecessarily if most of your flying is going to be solo travel/time building. 172 would work, but I just can't fathom owning one after having had my Tiger.

I bought my AG5B kinda as my 1st and 2nd airplane. I was in a flying club Cardinal for 8 years before that. Tiger excels a 177 in every way except in roominess/ease of entry. Tiger has a surprisingly roomy back seat and is very comfortable (I've flown 2/3rds-way across US with an adult passenger in the back with no complaints). Of course the easy folding rear seats are a HUGE bonus. I can fully lay down with some xtra room (I'm 5'9"). IFR is no biggie. A 2-axis autopilot would be ideal. Find one with wheel pants...there aren't tons of xtras laying around, I seem to recall. Fletchair is the go to for Grumman-specific parts.

Perhaps prices may drop in the next few months if you feel like waiting it out.
The Tiger does seem a good compromise if I can find one for a decent price. It's amazing how much they go for in my mind at least...I like the Sundowner Musketeer option but the speed does concern me a bit with those as most of them seem quite slow (ala 172 speeds). My one concern with Grumman is the parts availability. How tough is it to find parts? I see comments like inability to find the wheel pants and that is concerning as who knows what other parts I just won't be able to find in 5,10 years down the road etc.

Wait so the AD won't apply to this model Piper? I'd never heard of this... Can you give me a little more info or point me to where I can read more about that?

I really like the 182 for a first airplane: There's a crap-ton of them out there, so they're easy to find, easy to buy, easy to maintain, and easy to sell. They aren't the best at anything, but they're pretty darn good at everything.

I own a Mooney M20R Ovation - Obviously, you won't get one of those for $60K, but the older Mooneys are great for efficiency. I think you'd do well with an M20E. It sounds to me like your mission is going to be majority solo/long trips, with occasional family participation. The Mooney will save you a lot of money on gas.

If you can get a bird that can carry the load you want plus four hours of fuel, that is PLENTY. Don't make the family do legs over 3 hours if you want them to come with you again, regardless of what type you're flying. ;)

A few other posters have mentioned it, @Kristin gave the best detail, but you should definitely consider a Comanche. The PA24-180 would be analagous to an M20C in terms of speed and efficiency, maybe a few knots slower. However, it does have a larger cabin and higher useful load. A Comanche 250 would have operating costs more like those of the 182, but would also give you a much higher speed.

The other thing the Comanche has going for it is price. About a year ago, I helped someone who was looking for a plane in a slightly lower price range than yours, who wanted good cross country ability, and good useful load (they were going to be carrying scuba tanks frequently) find a Comanche 250 for $45K that already had WAAS GPS and ADS-B, and this was well before the market tanked. You can get a lot of bang for your buck here, so well worth considering.
I would love the Piper option and enjoyed the Cherokee 160 I got my private in years ago...but wife is very concerned about the wing spar issues on the pipers. I don't want to have to get that eddy current inspection done all the time. Are there certain years or models that are excluded from this that Kristin had mentioned? The useful load on the comanches is amazing.

Wait so the AD won't apply to this model Piper? I'd never heard of this... Can you give me a little more info or point me to where I can read more about that?

The proposed AD does not mention the PA-24 series aircraft. The reason it does not is because the method of attaching the wings to fuselage is entirely different in the Comanches. You have to understand that Lock Haven Piper and Vero Beach Piper had separate engineering departments. At the time the Comanches were first being built, Piper started the Vero Beach facility with a separate engineering department whose marching orders were to make cheaper to produce designs. That was the genesis of the Cherokee line of aircraft.

Lock Haven attached the wings together and then attached the fuselage to the wings. The Cherokee attaches the wings to the fuselage. The wings of the Cherokees slide 8-10" into a reinforced, box carry-through structure and are held by a series of bolts. Cracks are starting in those outboard bolt holes.

The wings of the Comanche have a main spar that extends into the cabin were they meet and then are strapped together with huge plates. I am not aware of any Comanche breaking the center section of the wings. There is no question that the Comanche series is structurally stronger than the Cherokees. Lock Haven over built the aircraft and Vero was trying to make the cost effective so did not over-build. The Comanche 180 was designed to have its ultimate failure be at 7.5 G's rather than the required 5.7 G's that the FAA sets as a minimum. That is one reason that Piper has been able to add bigger engines to the Comanches without re-engineering the aircraft structure.

If you want to read the proposed AD, it is here: https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...iness-directives-piper-aircraft-inc-airplanes

You will see no mention of a PA-24 because it does not have a similar spar structure.

The proposed AD does not mention the PA-24 series aircraft. The reason it does not is because the method of attaching the wings to fuselage is entirely different in the Comanches. You have to understand that Lock Haven Piper and Vero Beach Piper had separate engineering departments. At the time the Comanches were first being built, Piper started the Vero Beach facility with a separate engineering department whose marching orders were to make cheaper to produce designs. That was the genesis of the Cherokee line of aircraft.

Lock Haven attached the wings together and then attached the fuselage to the wings. The Cherokee attaches the wings to the fuselage. The wings of the Cherokees slide 8-10" into a reinforced, box carry-through structure and are held by a series of bolts. Cracks are starting in those outboard bolt holes.

The wings of the Comanche have a main spar that extends into the cabin were they meet and then are strapped together with huge plates. I am not aware of any Comanche breaking the center section of the wings. There is no question that the Comanche series is structurally stronger than the Cherokees. Lock Haven over built the aircraft and Vero was trying to make the cost effective so did not over-build. The Comanche 180 was designed to have its ultimate failure be at 7.5 G's rather than the required 5.7 G's that the FAA sets as a minimum. That is one reason that Piper has been able to add bigger engines to the Comanches without re-engineering the aircraft structure.

If you want to read the proposed AD, it is here: https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...iness-directives-piper-aircraft-inc-airplanes

You will see no mention of a PA-24 because it does not have a similar spar structure.
Does this apply to the entire Comanche line then? Or are there any exception? Would the 250 or 260 be good as well? Is the entire Comanche name built on the PA-24 airframe I guess would be what im asking

Does this apply to the entire Comanche line then? Or are there any exception? Would the 250 or 260 be good as well? Is the entire Comanche name built on the PA-24 airframe I guess would be what im asking
Yes, all of the PA-24s use the same fuselage. I'd want a 250 or 260.... really would want the 400, but not to own!

180hp fixed gear Cardinal. You're welcome.

I love Mooneys. Got plenty of time in J and K models. A bit in a C. Agree with another here that wife and kid in one would be no issue in a short body Mooney, and yes useful loads are generally very good.

Honestly though I follow some interwebs activity and cruise speeds reported by people with short body Mooneys don't exactly blow the doors in on a Cardinal RG I used to own (note that I didn't suggest the RG though).

The C172 is the missionary position of airplanes. It's fine if you've never done it before, or if plain toast makes your eyes light up. Ditto the musketeers.

The C182 is everything the C172 is not. All my time is in RGs but when you reach rotation speed in a 182 it doesn't ponder its naval and think about flying, it goes UP. Need a thousand feet of altitude? Coming right up. Hauls a load and cruises better than you might think. Bring the Visa for fuel stops.

Bo? The tail coming off "occasionally" is inconvenient I suppose. Properly serviced and flown aircraft will not shed control surfaces. Join the type club and see if they're for you.

The useful load of the Cardinal RG I had was 1006 lbs and no way could you get it tail heavy. Cruised 140 knots at 10.5 gph. 200hp Lyc 360 is a different animal though. And for people complaining about being corn holed for Beech parts they must not have owned a Cessna retract.

All PA-24's, which means the Comanche 180, 250, 260, and 400. And just for trivia sake, the Apache, Aztec, Twin Comanche, and Navajos all have the same design of attaching the fuselage to the wings, rather than the other way around. They are all good planes with their own niche and own price point.

If you are a subscriber to Piper Flyer, I have written about 10 different articles on Comanches. The Airworthy Comanche forum on Delphi is a good source for Comanche specific information.

Yes, all of the PA-24s use the same fuselage. I'd want a 250 or 260.... really would want the 400, but not to own!
Hmm I love the useful load on the 250/260 Comanches but the fuel burn sure looks painful. Is it able to be leaned out to less than 14 gph? Lol.

All PA-24's, which means the Comanche 180, 250, 260, and 400. And just for trivia sake, the Apache, Aztec, Twin Comanche, and Navajos all have the same design of attaching the fuselage to the wings, rather than the other way around. They are all good planes with their own niche and own price point.

If you are a subscriber to Piper Flyer, I have written about 10 different articles on Comanches. The Airworthy Comanche forum on Delphi is a good source for Comanche specific information.
The Comanche 180 looks more up my alley with a better fuel burn. Since I really don't want to spend 14 gph worth of $$$ every flight...ty for the info I am looking into those now.

Hmm I love the useful load on the 250/260 Comanches but the fuel burn sure looks painful. Is it able to be leaned out to less than 14 gph? Lol.
You can always pull the power back to Comanche 180 speeds and fuel burn if you are just up playing around

You can always pull the power back to Comanche 180 speeds and fuel burn if you are just up playing around
Do you think you could pull the power back far enough to get down to 10 GPH from 14 GPH? I wouldn't mind slowing it down for my time building when i needed to go slow.

Back