Best Starter Plane For Bigger Than Average Person?

easik

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
easik
Asking for a friend.
He's 6'6 about 300 lbs. What's a good starter plane for someone his size?

low wing - Dakota
high wing - 182

while the smaller version of those will work as well... if s/he plans to travel alone or the rest of the pax is 100 lb

i have hauled myself (240lb), i am 6'2, my CFI (180 lb), pax (130 lb), pax (150 lb) and 35 gal of 100 LL in mid summer in my archer. took a while to get to altitude. at one point ATC asked me to climb to7500, i was hanging at 6 for a while, i told them "eventually will get there"

Im 6'4" and would say that your friend probably won't do very well in a Cherokee. With the seat all the way down the yoke still hits my legs, any taller and it would be hard to get full range of motion out of it. I admittedly have big thighs, but I'm guessing at 3 bills your friend does too.

I think the 6 seater class planes have more room, but I don't have any direct experience with them.

As always the answer is a Bonanza.

another vote for 182. easy to get in and out of for a person of size, good useful load, any AI can work on them. I

You did not mention price. But, Cessna 210s will haul huge weight loads which is why they are the favorites with smugglers. My 1964 is insured for $60,000 and near new condx so you can carry a lot of load fast for little money.

Is your friend a PPL already, or is he looking for a plane to by to get his training in?

182 or a PA-32.

As a Bonanza owner, and a man of slightly larger carriage and height, I can not recommend the Bonanza for a person his size. I'm comfortable, but if I was any taller or wider, it would not be a good fit.

182 or a PA-32.

As a Bonanza owner, and a man of slightly larger carriage and height, I can not recommend the Bonanza for a person his size. I'm comfortable, but if I was any taller or wider, it would not be a good fit.

It's weird. I find the bonanza 33/35 series great for headroom. I find the 36s usually too short, and I need to recline the seat one notch usually to not hit the headliner (I'm only 6'2). I've found planes that are exceptions to each, though.

I've not had any problems width-wise with either series.

It's weird. I find the bonanza 33/35 series great for headroom. I find the 36s usually too short, and I need to recline the seat one notch usually to not hit the headliner (I'm only 6'2). I've found planes that are exceptions to each, though.

I'm broad shouldered, and if I am flying with a guy that isn't skinny, we rub shoulders a little bit. When I am flying with my wife, there is plenty of room.

I have sons 6'6" and 6'4". They are skinny boys. I own a Beech Sundowner and a Commander 114B. 6'4" son has no problem in either plane. He flies the Sundowner several time a week training for his IFR rating.

6'6" son can fit in both, but headroom is not quite adequate. He fits much better in a 182 or 206. He sat in a new 206 at Oshkosh last year and loved the room.

Surprisingly, a Mooney fits him good also. But that is because he is thin. A 300 pound pilot not so much. But lots of leg room for tall pilots.

A Bonanza is not a good fit either - not enough headroom and it would be too narrow for anyone with any meat on their bones.

Rockwell commander, 112 turbo, 114 or 115.
Super roomy, 2 door with performance and fuel consumption comp to C 182 only cheaper.
Nice airplanes, but insurance premiums for a somebody just starting with no retractable time might be a deal killer compared to premiums for a fixed gear 182.

I suspect it depends on the age of the Bonanza. I'm 6'4" and had ample headroom in my '59 K35. But things changed over the years, like seat design. Larry Ball (Those Incomparable Bonanzas) described the major change in the 1972 Bonanzas:

"The model designation didn't change from the previous model, but nevertheless, the 1972 edition of the V35B is considered a model change. The interior underwent a major redesign which was so extensive that many structural changes had to be made in the cabin -- particularly the roof -- to accommodate the all-new interior. The 1972 V35B Bonanza features a more durable interior with an improved overhead ventilation system and more head room."​

The F33A and A36 Bonanzas had the same changes for 1972.

I suspect it depends on the age of the Bonanza. I'm 6'4" and had ample headroom in my '59 K35. But things changed over the years, like seat design. Larry Ball (Those Incomparable Bonanzas) described the major change in the 1972 Bonanzas:

"The model designation didn't change from the previous model, but nevertheless, the 1972 edition of the V35B is considered a model change. The interior underwent a major redesign which was so extensive that many structural changes had to be made in the cabin -- particularly the roof -- to accommodate the all-new interior. The 1972 V35B Bonanza features a more durable interior with an improved overhead ventilation system and more head room."​

The F33A and A36 Bonanzas had the same changes for 1972.

I think the 300 lb part would be the deal killer for a Bonanza - of any model. First of all you have to scoot across a co-pilot seat to get into the left seat, and secondly the width across the cabin in a Bonanza would not be good for a 300 lb pilot if he had anyone sitting next to him. I love how Bonanza's and Baron's fly, but that air frame was designed in the 1950's and I think people may have been a little thinner back then.

I think the 300 lb part would be the deal killer for a Bonanza - of any model. First of all you have to scoot across a co-pilot seat to get into the left seat, and secondly the width across the cabin in a Bonanza would not be good for a 300 lb pilot if he had anyone sitting next to him. I love how Bonanza's and Baron's fly, but that air frame was designed in the 1950's and I think people may have been a little thinner back then.
No deal killer....it's doable....but things like changing fuel tanks can be a chore. I'm no longer 300lbs....but I did it.

No, I've had 2 300# in the front of both Bo and Baron without issue.

The previous note about shoulder breadth is a good one, though. One person will want to be a notch fore or aft of the other if you're moving linebackers around :)

No, I've had 2 300# in the front of both Bo and Baron without issue.

The previous note about shoulder breadth is a good one, though. One person will want to be a notch fore or aft of the other if you're moving linebackers around :)

I agree that it is doable. I am 230 lbs and when I fly in a Bonanza / Baron I compare it to flying economy class on an airline - it definitely can be done and is done all the time, but I hate rubbing shoulders or touching anyone when I fly or travel. NOW....I realize that my ideal weight should be 190 lbs and the issue of a "cramped" Bonanza cockpit would disappear if I got into shape.

However, I decided to go to the path of least resistance and buy a bigger airplane!

My ideal dream would be to lose 40 lbs and have a Baron!

Asking for a friend.
He's 6'6 about 300 lbs. What's a good starter plane for someone his size?

Cessna 177, you're going to luv those big doors...

C177-open-door-2.jpg

The 210, Commander and Trinidad are all good choices, but none of them are starter planes. A fixed gear 177 could be a good choice too.

You did not mention price. But, Cessna 210s will haul huge weight loads which is why they are the favorites with smugglers. My 1964 is insured for $60,000 and near new condx so you can carry a lot of load fast for little money.

A 210 will definitely do the job (in the front), but it is definitely not what a first time buyer wants.

Rockwell commander, 112 turbo, 114 or 115.
Super roomy, 2 door with performance and fuel consumption comp to C 182 only cheaper.

Always forget about those. Very comfortable. They aren't starter planes though.

Depends on the year. Some older Debs have awful headroom.

A Cessna 182 seems like the winner here. Thanks guys.

If your friend doesn’t have mobility issues, a Cirrus is actually roomier than a 182 and can also carry that weight.

Slightly harder to get in to though.

If your friend doesn’t have mobility issues, a Cirrus is actually roomier than a 182 and can also carry that weight.

Slightly harder to get in to though.

Eh, kinda depends. An SR20 will have a hard time. An SR22 will do OK, but not comparable to a 182.

Actually the question is rather silly since price nor intended missions are not mentioned. Yes one can learn in a Bonanza and C210. Both are easier to fly than the 46 Aeronca Chief I learned in. Tri-gear, flaps and hydraulic brakes are priceless (but they are not free).

Eh, kinda depends. An SR20 will have a hard time. An SR22 will do OK, but not comparable to a 182.

SR-20 and SR-22 is the same size?

[EDIT] Oh, weight. Ok, then say SR-22 G5. (He didn't mention price).

C-182. Flies like an overgrown C-172. Just more room. Very comfortable XC cruising machine for me. Just watch for your gross weight, I know people say that if the doors will close it will fly, but take that with a grain of salt.

The 177 doesn't have the power of a 182, and the useful load of a mid-eighties 182 (around 1300) is about 300 pounds more than a 177 (around 1000).

I am 6'3", wear 34in jeans and the Bonanzas are snug. Works ok with a in-ear headset.

You joke, but I’ve had a pretty big guy try mine on for size and found it comfortable. I’m 5-11 and 260, and he made me look small. The stick makes the whole “yoke hitting my knees” thing a non-issue.

That said, I don’t know if 6’6” would be a good fit or not.

SR-20 and SR-22 is the same size?

[EDIT] Oh, weight. Ok, then say SR-22 G5. (He didn't mention price).

Weight was the issue. Also, first planes probably shouldn't be huge outlays.

C-182. Flies like an overgrown C-172. Just more room. Very comfortable XC cruising machine for me. Just watch for your gross weight, I know people say that if the doors will close it will fly, but take that with a grain of salt.

That first line is a good reason not to own one ;-)

The 177 doesn't have the power of a 182, and the useful load of a mid-eighties 182 (around 1300) is about 300 pounds more than a 177 (around 1000).

Burns 18 pounds less gas an hour, so that helps with weight.

Back