What is this aircraft?

CV-3 used to drag a rag with one (1964)

Without having a clue or reading any posts, my instant reaction was that it looks like something Hughes aircraft would have had a hand in... just looks like something he would have built...

I bet they used something else. The F7F's were retired by the mid-50's.
Know a 7F when I see one, VC-3 was a composite Squadron use to drag the socks. "SKEET FOR THE FLEET", it wasn't until the need for BQMS- went away before they were scrapped.

There was about 10 of them parked along the fence in D&M AFB as late as 1973.

Last edited:
there are, as far as I know, 7 or 8 flyable tigercats in the world today. the one pictured belongs to lewis racing, it is one of two that he has. In the last few years that one and one other are the only flyable airframes sold that I know of. that aircraft was part of the 3 plane package that rod lewis bought from mike brown a few years back. I believe that POF is rebuilding one more. I also believe that kermit has one that will be restored someday.

It was the next "cat" in development during WWII. Wildcat, HellCat, BearCat, and TigerCat. Bear and Tiger really arrived too late for much use, and then things moved to jets quickly after the war.

Beautiful aircraft. There were two flying in formation at the Chino "Planes of Fame" event in 2018. Here they are:
GDK_0406.jpg

Without having a clue or reading any posts, my instant reaction was that it looks like something Hughes aircraft would have had a hand in... just looks like something he would have built...
I hadn't thought of that, but based on that first picture, the head on shot...I would agree!
the tail in the side view though just looks Grumman to me....

Interesting stuff!

The reason for my question is that I'm just finishing off a new write-up on my website, about a flight from Pittsburgh to California and back, including the Reno Air Races and an emergency gear-up landing. Wanted to make sure I labeled it right!

The first half of that video is absolutely amazing. Wow, to see that in person must have been amazing.

Towards the end at 4:20 is pretty cool also. “Snort” on a low approach to the side of the runway kicking up dirt.

Unfortunately ‘96 was the only year they did it. I was able to catch them at Pensacola at their final air show.

7BC72551-C18F-4636-BFBF-4BEA2F85C79E.jpeg 6437AC11-A045-4E35-BB33-70F848134D82.jpeg D9FFB253-810D-4FB4-BACB-CCB346FF1F6C.jpeg

I'd never had the opportunity to see a F7F until the inaugural CAF airshow at their new Dallas Executive homebase three years ago. I was immediately struck by the fuselage shape. It's extremely narrow and tall.

The Tigercat is a beautiful aircraft.

Back