Careers?

asmith2023

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Peaches
I am interested in a career in aviation but I don’t know which career I would like to do. Any recommendations? I am interested in a career where I would be able to do a decent amount of flying. I am interested in firefighting, a and p mechanic, crop spraying, owning an fbo, airlines, and more. I don’t know which one I would like to do. Also I would like to know if there are more options?

Last edited:
I am interested in a career in aviation but I don’t know which career I would like to do. Any recommendations?
Yes. I recommend that you decide what you would like to do. I introduced a young woman to flying, and very shortly after starting, she decided it wasn't for her. Do you have a hot burning desire to be a pilot? Flight attendant? Waste cart jockey?

Join a fire Dept. Fly on your days off.

Hard for us to know what you want to do - can’t read your mind.

You belong in corporate America, where there’s someone to tell you what to do.

You belong in corporate America, where there’s someone to tell you what to do.

As opposed to private business ownership where my CLIENTS tell me what to do?...its not really all that much better.

OP...do you need a job to survive or do you have time and reproduces to pay your dues?

My dream job was always CalFire tanker or Chopper pilot....but they require not only the hours but a lot of low level flying time which is why a crop duster, pipe line inspector or fish and game pilot lays a lot of solid groundwork to a goal like that but immediate pay is crap.

Helicopter pilot. They’re always looking for new pilots...well at least one vacancy I know of.

Fueler
Lavatory servicing
Cabin cleaners
Dispatcher
Flight attendant
Customer service
Flight Instructor
Several career tracks within the FAA
Aircraft scheduler

a and p mechanic,
This is the most flexible of the aviation skill sets. If you decide aviation isn't your thing, your A&P certificate will open a number of non-aviation doors from equipment manufacturing to directional drilling and beyond. Aviation operational skill sets (like pilots) tend to be not as flexible outside aviation unless you're thinking of being a train conductor, bus driver, or at best an Uber contractor. :eek:;)

Work for an airport authority. Many hundreds of jobs - ranging from finance, legal, technical (IT, engineering to name a few) to the ubiquitous management. Some mid-size cities have an international airport and then several satellite GA airports within the airport authority. So, there are opportunities to work with the major carriers as well as small FBO’s.

What do you like to do?
What are you good at?
What will people pay you to do?

Within the intersection of those, what could involve 'aviation' as you think of it?
Yes, your question is extremely broad, and as written, too broad to really help you.

Note also that many people on this board have careers outside aviation that they use to find their hobby of aviation.

Get a job for the airport authority, then find a school where you can get an A&P license part-time, in the evenings and weekends. Between the airport authority job, and A&P school, you'll get introduced to a lot of aspects of aviation, and see if any lights a fire in you.

You'll need about two full school years to get your A&P (airframe and power plant) going to school full time, and obviously longer part-time. At least half of the airframe knowledge will also be on the Pilot Knowledge exam, so that will save you some study time, and you will understand both reciprocating and turbine engine operation better.

An A&P job will most likely have you on the airport property, so it won't take much time to go from work to flying lessons. I think the recommended amount to save before you start flying lessons is about $6000.

I highly recommend you visit the medical topics board before you start flying lessons and ping Dr. Bruce Chien about passing the medical before your first flying lesson, and definitely before you take the FAA medical exam for real.

I am interested in a career in aviation but I don’t know which career I would like to do. Any recommendations? I am interested in a career where I would be able to do a decent amount of flying. I am interested in firefighting, a and p mechanic, crop spraying, owning an fbo, airlines, and more. I don’t know which one I would like to do. Also I would like to know if there are more options?

Be a Bird Scarer Awayer

What do you like to do?
What are you good at?
What will people pay you to do?
:yeahthat:
One of the great career advice books is What Color is Your Parachute? which recommends creating a matrix with your interests on the vertical axis and your skills on the horizontal axis. Assign a number (1-5) to each interest (1 being somewhat interested and 5 being extremely interested) and each skill (1 being a little skilled and 5 being expert). At intersections where the added skill and interest numbers are high (8, 9, or 10) look at education and experience required and average salaries paid for associated jobs.

Back