I bought a Cherokee 6 for under $30K

That was a great video! Your family is great and your youngest daughter is hilarious. Loved the titles to your magazines you were reading in bed. Well done. Here’s to many more happy flights in your future.

Great video. I think that anyone who clicked on it thinking that you bought a great ready to fly Cherokee 6 for under $30K does not know much about the airplane market. I liked the title and pretty much knew how you got one at that price before I viewed the video. Don't worry about telling us what you spent (none of our business). It is pretty easy to figure out what a new panel, paint, engine, etc. will cost for a specific airplane. I have upgraded my panel and just had a factory re-built engine put in mine and it does cost some money, but you end up with exactly what you want (or can afford in the case of my panel).

Great video as are the others of yours that I have looked at. Something different, which in the world of YouTube is hard to do. Good work!

Great video. I think that anyone who clicked on it thinking that you bought a great ready to fly Cherokee 6 for under $30K does not know much about the airplane market. I liked the title and pretty much knew how you got one at that price before I viewed the video....

agreed. was kinda surprised some people gave him such a hard time.

Thanks for all the positivity and encouragement. I can understand wanting to know the total amount of money put in and I'll probably do a follow up video that gets in to the nitty gritty if I can stomach looking back through spreadsheets and expenses, etc... When I started putting videos on youtube, I figured I would encounter negativity along the way no matter what I do. :) I'll just try to do the best I can and be true to what I love about aviation.

I can understand wanting to know the total amount of money put in and I'll probably do a follow up video that gets in to the nitty gritty if I can stomach looking back through spreadsheets and expenses, etc...

Don’t do it! LOL.

Just enjoy and be happy. :)

Great video. I think that anyone who clicked on it thinking that you bought a great ready to fly Cherokee 6 for under $30K does not know much about the airplane market. I liked the title and pretty much knew how you got one at that price before I viewed the video. Don't worry about telling us what you spent (none of our business). It is pretty easy to figure out what a new panel, paint, engine, etc. will cost for a specific airplane. I have upgraded my panel and just had a factory re-built engine put in mine and it does cost some money, but you end up with exactly what you want (or can afford in the case of my panel).

Great video as are the others of yours that I have looked at. Something different, which in the world of YouTube is hard to do. Good work!

I think he did get a flyer for 30. Then chose to put money in to make it nice. It sounds like it was airworthy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just want to cope that again, mad video/movie making skills. The voice overs were perfect and made the movie.

My very first introductory flight in a 152 on takeoff my door popped open. The instructor was very cool said we'd go around the pattern and land and close it. Non event.

that is one nice looking plane you've put together there!
I'm currently the guy at about 00:20 in on the video reading "Midlife Crisis" magazine.... or more correctly that was my wife's reaction when I recently said "I think I want to buy a plane."!

Anyway, only just recently found your channel and your six is pretty much my dream. I'm a rusty pilot with 3 kids and dream of aviation adventures with my family, who's not overly interested.....

nicely done on the video!

Ha your video popped up in my YT suggestions yesterday, @FlyingMonkey. Loved it! I was guessing 150k+ for the all in price. I’m still curious...but maybe I’d rather you not tell everyone. I’m on a similar search and 30k is a lot easier to sell to my wife

@snglecoil the best way is to make a spreadsheet showing all the costs, those that have to be and then those you want to be. Then compare against the price of buying it. If you understand that avionics generally cost 2x the purchase price (labor,) you'll have a real conversation.

Then again, mine did the "yes, wait no, ok, yes" dance until Ithink every broker got fed up with me. So make sure the "yes" ain't a "no."

Awesome transformation! I watched the video on YouTube; for all intents and purposes it's a new airplane.

The airplane purchasing equivalent of, "Just the tip, just to see how it feels?" :)

That is hilarious.

To Flying Monkey- Don’t post costs. Nobody’s business and it really doesn’t matter as there are way too many variables. One paint job may be simple and run $10k, and the next plane might be $30k as there is hidden damage, corrosion, takes longer to strip paint, shop rates, etc. Same with interiors and avionics.

What matters is that you have a great and beautiful plane and you are enjoying it. At resale time I’m sure you’ll do quite well. When people ask me about my aviation or car expenditures I always ask why do people assume you’re supposed to make money or break even? I usually ask them if they made any money going to a pro sports game, how much money they made when they traded in their new $90k SUV 5 years later, or how much they made by going on vacation? The point is that life is expensive, and so are some hobbies. Who cares? That is why we work in the first place. When it comes to finances, prepare for tomorrow, but live for today.

I can understand wanting to know the total amount of money put in and I'll probably do a follow up video that gets in to the nitty gritty if I can stomach looking back through spreadsheets and expenses, etc...

Are you enjoying your plane? Have pride of ownership? Getting good utility out of it? Now have one more activity the family can do together? Then this sounds like real success. I’d suggest leaving well enough alone. Go out and fly, and forget the spreadsheets.

Restoring an aircraft like the Cherokee Six ain't cheap, but it's still way le$$ than a new 172 and TONS more useful.

A G3x/G5/GFC500 combination is probably closer, although you do get much more functionality from that trio than the Dynon.

As someone who is currently helping a friend make a decision on a full avionics upgrade, why do you say that? We have been looking at the Dynon, but only because it seems like a lot of bang for the buck.

As someone who is currently helping a friend make a decision on a full avionics upgrade, why do you say that?
Why do I say that a D10A+HDX+TruTrak is closer in price to a G5+G3x+GFC500 than a G5+G5+GFC500?
Or why do I think you get much more functionality from the G5+G3x+GFC500 than from the D10A+HDX+TruTrak?

Why do I say that a D10A+HDX+TruTrak is closer in price to a G5+G3x+GFC500 than a G5+G5+GFC500?
Or why do I think you get much more functionality from the G5+G3x+GFC500 than from the D10A+HDX+TruTrak?

Think he meant the later

:popcorn

To Flying Monkey- Don’t post costs. Nobody’s business and it really doesn’t matter as there are way too many variables. One paint job may be simple and run $10k, and the next plane might be $30k as there is hidden damage, corrosion, takes longer to strip paint, shop rates, etc. Same with interiors and avionics.

What matters is that you have a great and beautiful plane and you are enjoying it. At resale time I’m sure you’ll do quite well. When people ask me about my aviation or car expenditures I always ask why do people assume you’re supposed to make money or break even? I usually ask them if they made any money going to a pro sports game, how much money they made when they traded in their new $90k SUV 5 years later, or how much they made by going on vacation? The point is that life is expensive, and so are some hobbies. Who cares? That is why we work in the first place. When it comes to finances, prepare for tomorrow, but live for today.

all very true.... if asking for judgemental reasons, jealousy, etc.
but there is one point of interest that comes to my mind that does make it an interesting question in a constructive way...and that is a data point for someone contemplating doing the same thing.

Thanks for all the positivity and encouragement. I can understand wanting to know the total amount of money put in and I'll probably do a follow up video that gets in to the nitty gritty if I can stomach looking back through spreadsheets and expenses, etc... When I started putting videos on youtube, I figured I would encounter negativity along the way no matter what I do. :) I'll just try to do the best I can and be true to what I love about aviation.

Great videos! I’ve seen many of them and you do a great job! I find them relaxing as well as interesting.

To Flying Monkey- Don’t post costs. Nobody’s business and it really doesn’t matter as there are way too many variables.

How do you not post the costs when your absurd title is "I bought a Cherokee 6 for under $30k"? I would agree it was nobody's business... until it became absurd YouTube click bait.

That's tantamount to "I bought a McMansion for $75k", followed by, well that was the improved lot only... then I spent $800k on construction. Kinda misleading way to get the click.

How do you not post the costs when your absurd title is "I bought a Cherokee 6 for under $30k"? I would agree it was nobody's business... until it became absurd YouTube click bait.

That's tantamount to "I bought a McMansion for $75k", followed by, well that was the improved lot only... then I spent $800k on construction. Kinda misleading way to get the click.

Well gee, somebody sounds jealous... :mad:

Well gee, somebody sounds jealous... :mad:

Not really. Part owner in one for about 5 years. Flew the C177RG more. Should I post what my share price was and say "I bought TWO planes for $x?" Or is that equally as absurd?

Not really. Part owner in one for about 5 years. Flew the C177RG more. Should I post what my share price was and say "I bought TWO planes for $x?" Or is that equally as absurd?

Some of us love seeing things bought cheap or free restored to new glory. Some of us just appreciate watching a video of another’s passion or success. If someone doesn’t understand the $30k and accept the obvious inference that it was (A) a lot of work or (B) a lot of money or (C) both, they’re maybe not taking three seconds to think it through.

After seeing the So Cal affiliation and the Cinematically inspired screen name I thought the Flying Monkey was in the movie business. It certainly shows. Nice to see the family getting into the act. Really nice video. Most aviation videos are drowsy at best unless they're doing something outright illegal or insanely unwise.

If someone doesn’t understand the $30k and accept the obvious inference that it was (A) a lot of work or (B) a lot of money or (C) both, they’re maybe not taking three seconds to think it through.

And some of us think that the time to produce the click bait video with Wife and Kids is much longer than it would take to write "I bought it for $x and pumped in $y over Z years. Which I do believe is the unanswered question for Dr. YouTube.Monkey. You know, the actually interesting info to most people.

And some of us think that the time to produce the click bait video with Wife and Kids is much longer than it would take to write "I bought it for $x and pumped in $y over Z years. Which I do believe is the unanswered question for Dr. YouTube.Monkey. You know, the actually interesting info to most people.

I don’t know if I can represent “some of us” but my take was that I didn’t particularly care one way or the other about the title (I’m not looking to buy a Cherokee 6 so I don’t really care about how much they are) but I found the video entertaining and well made. At least “one of us” feels that way and was happy to click the link and watch the whole video without feeling baited.

Or it's just a fun video with a catchy title. The numbers are interesting, but I enjoyed the video anyways. If he said, 'I spent X on it" then a whole bunch of people would have said Too much or not enough.. WTF cares? If I wanted a spreadsheet, I wouldn't expect to find it on Youtube.

If that video title bothers you.... stay off of YouTube.... actually better avoid the internet entirely. And TV. And newspapers and magazines.... lectures, political speeches...

If that video title bothers you.... stay off of YouTube....

I didn't find it on youtube. He click baited here. Otherwise I'd never have seen it.

This wasn't some build-log or bought a project type thing, which it may have been, right up until the detail questions began with no answers. Why would he answer? He's got his clicks already.

I think I'm with @Doc Holliday at this point.

No need @Bill Jennings. Just like and subscribe as requested in every single one of the videos. You'll be among the first to know.

Back