BEST COMEDY FILMS

n2230b

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
fast eddie
Greetings,

Although there are many movies threads in this site, there is not one dedicated to Comedies exclusively. List your recommended comedies If you care to share. “The Cisco Kid” with Gene Wilder & Harrison Ford was pretty good.

Many of the Marx Brothers movies.

all of Buster Keaton

History of the World, Part 1

Tommy Boy
Super Troopers
lots of Mel Brooks stuff (Spacebslls, Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles)
Planes, Trains, & Automobiles
The Three Amigos
Stripes
Old School
Office Space
Welcome to America
Caddyshack
Trading Places
The Jerk
Animal House
Nerds

Last edited:
My Cousin Vinny
A Fish Called Wanda
Better Off Dead
Strange Brew
Blazing Saddles
Sleeper
Take the Money and Run
The In-Laws
The Producers
Christmas Vacation
A Christmas Story

I saw Old School and thought of Back to School with Rodney Dangerfield. One of my favorite scenes:

Some Like It Hot
Another vote for the Mel Brook comedies
Another vote for Airplane!
Zombieland films
Groundhog Day
Monty Python films

I'm kind of old school. Reefer Madness for me.

Wife & I were looking for something lighter last night. If you have Amazon Prime, I saw "Planes, Trains, & Automobiles" on there. We wound up watching "Cabin in the Woods". It's a sort of horror movie spoof, but written by Joss Whedon so it's a lot more clever than your typical spoof.

Dead Men Don't wear plaid and The grand Budapest hotel for a couple more obscure really funny movies.

Little newer but I love “hot tub time machine”. As a kid of the 80’s it resonates lol

Hail Caesar and O Brother Where Out Thou.

These won't be "best", but they are still pretty funny newer movies:

Logan Lucky

The Disaster Artist

Then of course:

Blazing Saddles
The Jerk
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Animal House
and many more.

Grandma's Boy
Role Models

Lot's of other funny movies have been made since the turn of the century ;)

Lot's of other funny movies have been made since the turn of the century ;)
One problem is that in recent times comic book superhero movies have diverted a lot of the money so that most comedies tend to be lower budget and get less attention.

My man Godfrey with William Powell

One problem is that in recent times comic book superhero movies have diverted a lot of the money so that most comedies tend to be lower budget and get less attention.
I've found that a lot of contemporary comedy films have replaced wit with shock and vulgarity and pretend that's funny. Not saying that good comedy can't contain those elements, but that it can't, or at least shouldn't, rely on them. Wit, creativity, and talent need to come first.

One that I always liked in the light of Animal House/Nerds/Old School is PCU. Jeremy Piven, Jon Favreau are couple of the more notable names in it.

Airplane
Blazing Saddles
Caddyshack
Plan Nine from Outer Space
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
Anything that ever aired on "Creature Features."

When I was in college, we had an annual Bad Movie Festival for charity. Admission was free, but you had to pay to get out. Lots of those movies were unintentionally hilarious.

Rich

Based on some of the films mentioned, y’all must be old, what, no Charlie Chaplin? ;-)

One that I always liked in the light of Animal House/Nerds/Old School is PCU. Jeremy Piven, Jon Favreau are couple of the more notable names in it.

I agree - very underrated. "I haven't seen anything like that since my sixth sophomore year!"

The 40 year old virgin
Eurotrip
Idiocracy (although one could argue this is a documentary)
Spinal Tap
Harlem Nights

Last edited:
Back