Searching for an instructor with PA32R time in SE Pennsylvania

Piper_Pilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Piper_Pilot
Hi Everyone,
I'm wondering if anyone has any leads of instructors or ferry pilots in South Eastern Pennsylvania with 50+ hours in a PA32R?

Here's a bit of backstory to provide context to the question:
After 2 years of searching, I finally purchased a Piper Lance II in late February; little did I dream of the situation we'd be facing within a few short weeks...

I chose to have the prebuy done at a shop just a few miles from my home base. There were a few squawks that we found during prebuy, so I decided to address those while we had everything torn apart. By mid-March the plane was ready to fly; but by that time the COVID-19 situation was gaining steam, and the instructor I had lined up to help with the sign-off (required by my insurance) was getting a bit nervous about the virus (not that I blame him). We decided to see how things played out over another week or two, and then ended up putting the training on hold "until things settle down a bit".

The plane spent 2 weeks in my mechanic's hangar, then a hangar on the field opened up, and we moved the plane there. Now a new tenant wants to base on that field, and I need to vacate the hangar by the end of April. I do have a hangar reserved at my home base (KLNS), so that's not an issue, but I cannot solo the plane until I have an endorsement to satisfy the insurance requirements.

Ideally I'd like to find an instructor that is willing to provide instruction during these times, and has 50+ hours of PA32R time (required by my insurance) to help me with the transition and gain the endorsement I need to be able to solo the plane.

If that's not an option, I need to find a ferry pilot (with 50+ hours in a PA32R) to ferry the plane for the short hop to my home base.

I have reached out to at least a dozen (if not two) flight instructors that I found through word of mouth, Gleim, AOPA, etc, but I am having a tremendously hard time finding anyone with 50+ hours in a PA32R.

I'd appreciate any leads or tips on how to handle the situation!

Stay Healthy and Safe!

Ask the insurance company if PA28R time would be acceptable and get the policy amended. You will find instructors at both LNS and RDG with a lot of time in an Arrow. If not, switch insurance companies. The 50 hr make and model requirement is excessive

Check your DMs. I left you the contact information of a CFI based at KPNE with lots of Lance experience.

I really wouldn't think the PA-32R requirement (if that's how the insurance company really did word it) would be too tough to meet, I certainly meet it but I am in Oklahoma, so not exactly close by.

However, you do want to be careful - the insurance companies are usually pretty specific with make and model, and PA-32R covers a lot of ground, including airplanes that were never called the Lance, ones with a standard tail and T-tail, turbo and not, etc.

For example, I have lots of PA-32R time, but it's PA-32R-301T (Saratoga) time. The Lance can be a PA-32R-300 (Cherokee Lance, standard tail), or a PA-32RT-300 (Lance II, T-tail), or a PA-32RT-300T (Turbo Lance II, T-tail).

It sounds like you bought a PA-32RT-300. Although I have PA-32R time, I have none in that exact model.

Just make sure you're getting what you need.

Ask the insurance company if PA28R time would be acceptable and get the policy amended.
I’d be quite surprised if one could substitute PA32R time for Arrow time. The two aren’t the same.

Thanks to everyone for the responses and advise! Keep 'em coming.

I want to clarify a few details on the plane, as well as the insurance requirements. It's a straight tail Lance, PA-32R-300. My insurance initially required 50+ hours in exact make and model, but when I couldn't find an instructor to meet that I explained the situation and they agreed to relax it to PA32R time. I believe that Lance, or Saratoga time would qualify, but not Cherokee 6 time.

The insurance co also offered to consider any instructor that is willing to submit a pilot history, but I haven't found the magic recipe yet; everyone that's submitted a form had been denied.

I will ask them about the PA28R time, but I am doubtful it will work, because I had asked them to consider CFI with 400+ hours in a PA28R, and they declined.

Back