Thin Temple Prescription Glasses?

Rusty Coonfield

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Rustycoon
Hey all, I’m on the hunt for a new pair of glasses that wont’ leave my ears worn out after long flights under my headset. I love the thin paddle designs that Method Seven and Flying Eyes have for their sunglasses styles. I wonder if any of you have a go to style or brand for daily Rx glasses to reduce temple fatigue....?
Thanks!
-Rusty

I wear wire frame glasses and never had any issue with pain.

Same here. Get titanium frames and the ultra-thin, super strong temple bars cause no pain. Titanium is not just for airplanes and frames will outlast many lens changes. I get my glasses exclusively at Costco with progressive lenses. Best price and quality.

If you choose frames other than thin, flexible titanium, consider selecting the width of the glasses so that the earpieces to lay tight against your temples. Even thin wire frames will not allow headset ear cups to seal well if there is an air gap between the eyeglass frame and your head. On the other hand, I find that even fairly heavy plastic frames allow good sealing if the frame lays tight to your head.

Silhouette is the brand that I use for the flexible titanium "frame". I'm on my second pair, the first eventually broke after about 10 years of use and 3 sets of replacement lenses. Longest use I've ever had out of a pair of glasses.

The temples are thin, flat flexible metal strips so they fit under an ear seal really well

I agree, Silhouette. I’m on year 7 or 8, with my 2nd set of lenses on em. They were the most expensive of all the choices, but you obviously get your money’s worth.

I don’t know if they make them anymore but years ago I knew a pilot who had ‘fishing line’ between the ‘lens holder’ or front part of the eyeglasses and low profile ‘earhooks’ ...which seemed like the least imposing solution I’d seen.

The last 3-4 pairs of glasses frames I've had are by Pro Design. Very thin/flat temples. I didn't buy them with that in mind but they do work well with headsets and flight helmets.

Autoflex frames are thin and fit well in between the headset and your temple. I’ve used their frames for about 5 years now.

I wear these, but I'll admit I don't wear a headset all day. The cable temple frames take a week or two to get used to, but these never fall off my face. Plus they're made in the US and not part of Luxottica.

http://artcraftoptical.com/product/art-bilt-100ast/

The same company also makes airman glasses for the military. The manufacturer does not sell direct, so you have to find someone who handles art-craft frames. From experience that will not be a store which sells all the rest of the stuff, because Luxottica is extremely anti-competitive.

Randolph Engineering Mil Spec Aviators with bayonet temples. I've worn these or the American Optical version of the same frame for over fifty-five years. I've tried others, but always come back to these. The Randolph frames provide deeper lens rims for thicker Rx lenses than the AO frames.

Randolph Engineering Aviator Frame Bayonet Temples.jpg

Last edited:
Earlier I noted that my current headset is Clarity Aloft and they take away the problem with uncomfortable glasses under the headphones and I can wear my big brim hat. :cool:
However I did buy some new frames after my last eye exam. I bought a pair that works well with my over the ear headset. These are made by Oakley:
6303381_original.jpg

The sides are flat and cushioned. I liked them because clip on sunglasses are easy to find (progressives don't work well for me) and the frames are extremely strong and unlikely to break.

Another question that might be asked is - how many pilots carry an extra pair in the airplane in case you should need them?

As to progressives you might try the Costco ones. There are different formulas and other brands I tried did not work either. With Costco cost is zero if they don't work.

Randolph Engineering Mil Spec Aviators with bayonet temples. I've worn these or the American Optical version of the same frame for over fifty-five years. I've tried others, but always come back to these. The Randolph frames provide deeper lens rims for thicker Rx lenses than the AO frames.

I’ve used these, both Randolph and AO for 50+ yrs also. Great recommendation. They were designed to fit under military helmets. There is absolutely no headset that can reproduce the hot spots and sheer discomfort of military aviation helmets. Agree 100%.

View attachment 84925

I’ve got a pair each of Prescription B&L Aviators, Randolph’s and Oakley metal frame sunglasses. The B&L are gradient bronze, the Randolphs are green and the Oakleys 80% bronze.

None pose issues with my Bose or Zulu headsets.

Back