What kind of stress therapy is ok?

A

Anonymous

The state stay at home order and resulting isolation has got me down a bit. I don't have an EAP for therapy, and exercise has never lifted my mood. Other ideas? I already went through the FAA nightmare for resolved depression, so I need to be cautious about relapse.

Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Fudge Brownie ice cream.
Read a book. Read lots of books. What is your favorite genre?
Watch movies.
Watch silly youtube videos.
Do you cook? If not, learn. You can kill an hour or more learning to make biscuits from scratch.
Do you have a pet? If a dog, teach a new trick. If a cat, the cat will teach you a new trick.
Build paper airplanes.
Build a bookshelf. No books? Then build a shelf for something else you need to get off the tables and/or the floor.
Got a yard, or part of one. Start a garden. Or at least get rid of the weeds.
Clean house. Trust me, it helps.
Stay home/isolation doesn't mean cooped up in your home like a jail. Take a walk. Walk to the grocery store.
Write a letter - heavens forfend! A hardcopy document! Yes, write a letter to someone. Then walk to the post office and mail the letter. Not only will it get you out of the house, the post office needs the money.

Don't panic that you're bored, stressed out, etc. Everyone is, so you have lots of company, and misery loves company, remember?

The state stay at home order and resulting isolation has got me down a bit. I don't have an EAP for therapy, and exercise has never lifted my mood. Other ideas? I already went through the FAA nightmare for resolved depression, so I need to be cautious about relapse.
Ignore the order.

Just ignore it. I know that’s the worst thing to do, but by faa logic if you just ignore It there’s no problem. Definitely don’t do the right thing and get some form of help or the idiots in DC will give you a hard time.

You haven't said what sort of environment you live in or what you enjoy doing, or if you have any hobbies.

Factory Five (the company that makes my Cobra replica) posted some pictures about a family who decided to use the stay-at-home order to start work on building a Cobra. FFR had a cancelled order for a car that was close to what they wanted, and in 3 weeks they went from picking it up at FFR (just before the shutdowns occurred) to the engine installed. They may very well have it running before this is over.

Most stay at home orders allow you to go out for exercise, you said it doesn't work for you , but it will take your mind off of it for a while, plus it's much easier to get to sleep at night. I've been alternating between walking and bicycling just about every day, it really helps me feel better about this crap that's going on.

That said, life has good and bad. It's ok to feel crappy, nobody is happy all the time. Find something to occupy your time and mind, like a hobby or project. I've been cleaning the basement and organizing tools. Things will get better.

What EXACTLY does the order say?

"Under Government Code 418.71, violations of the declaration of disaster and orders may be punishable by a fine not to exceed $1,000 or imprisonment in the jail not to exceed 180 days"

Spend the afternoon trying to reach your congressman, senator, alderman, mayor (good luck). Call, email, write. Remind them what liberty is. That’ll take quite a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Under Government Code 418.71, violations of the declaration of disaster and orders may be punishable by a fine not to exceed $1,000 or imprisonment in the jail not to exceed 180 days"
That is the punishment for not following the order. What does the order say?

That is the punishment for not following the order. What does the order say?

Okay. I misunderstood your question. The "Order to Stay at Home" is 7 pages long. There are few activities that are allowed that should be carefully reviewed for compliance, but willfully ignoring the order altogether may result in criminal penalties.

Is St. Johns Wort an absolute no-no? I keep hearing different things - that supplements aren't reportable but the underlying disease is, etc. But is the inability to cope with isolation really a disease?

Okay. I misunderstood your question. The "Order to Stay at Home" is 7 pages long. There are few activities that are allowed that should be carefully reviewed for compliance, but willfully ignoring the order altogether may result in criminal penalties.
The good news is that governor Abbott is going to give us more freedom soon. But you can still go outside, enjoy the park, exercise.

You can also text "crisis" to 741741 to talk to someone more or less anonymously.

Is St. Johns Wort an absolute no-no? I keep hearing different things - that supplements aren't reportable but the underlying disease is, etc. But is the inability to cope with isolation really a disease?

See https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/pyschiatric-evaluation.115511/#post-2644476 and scroll down to posts 6 and 7. @lbfjrmd is Dr. Lou Fowler, one of two top-rung AMEs we have on this forum. If Lou says SJW doesn't have to be reported, I'd take his word for it. It's true that an underlying diagnosis DOES have to be reported, but you can buy SJW over the counter without having an official diagnosis entered into a computer database.

Still, first things first - health before flying. Do whatever you need to in order to be healthy, then worry about how to make the FAA happy.

South Carolina?

One of our (now former) EAA chapter members wrote a nasty email commending on the stupid TPTB in Colorado and the stay home rules. Had he been more polite, no problem, but he wasn't. As I pointed out, his new domicile (SC) claims criminal actions for violating the stay home rules, not Colorado.
Remember that the phrase "criminal penalties MAY..." This requires the LEO (if they observe you) to believe your actions rise to a level that justifies taking action. If you're out by yourself, late at night, taking a walk....that doesn't justify the stay home order compliance, but you may find yourself being asked to explain why you're carrying 3 portable TVs....

I'm no doctor, but a few ideas

1. Do/develop some new stuff. For me, i've been building a lot of stuff around the house. Painting the door a fun color, hanging screen doors (we've wanted them for years), building a small garden with the family, building two "Little Free Library"s https://littlefreelibrary.org/ (one as a gift and one for us
2. Connect. I saw some advice to make a list of like 20 people. Call three of them a day and just check in on them. They don't have to be best friends, but just make a few connections. You're likely to be the bright spot in someone's day

See https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/pyschiatric-evaluation.115511/#post-2644476 and scroll down to posts 6 and 7. @lbfjrmd is Dr. Lou Fowler, one of two top-rung AMEs we have on this forum. If Lou says SJW doesn't have to be reported, I'd take his word for it. It's true that an underlying diagnosis DOES have to be reported, but you can buy SJW over the counter without having an official diagnosis entered into a computer database.

Still, first things first - health before flying. Do whatever you need to in order to be healthy, then worry about how to make the FAA happy.

Been there, done that is the problem. And I do NOT want to risk "recurrent disease." Personally, I think it's idiotic to consider depression caused by extreme restrictions and isolation recurrent, but I'm not in charge.

Been there, done that is the problem. And I do NOT want to risk "recurrent disease." Personally, I think it's idiotic to consider depression caused by extreme restrictions and isolation recurrent, but I'm not in charge.

True. But why not try SJW or passion flower for a couple of weeks and see if it helps? No need to go to a doc to buy it, no need to report it if it works, and if it doesn't you're no worse off.

True. But why not try SJW or passion flower for a couple of weeks and see if it helps? No need to go to a doc to buy it, no need to report it if it works, and if it doesn't you're no worse off.

I'm going to - and then cross my fingers we can get past this quickly.

My understanding is that it's very often effective, but has a ton of drug interactions and increases sensitivity to sunlight.

I'm not a doctor, but I used to have a girlfriend who was a DO with a serious interest in herbal medicine. Last I heard, she was stomping through the jungle somewhere looking for cures. I remember that this was one of her most-prescribed herbs.

Rich

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back