Suggestions for hours

JeremyJG

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jeremy
Hi everyone. I hope everybody is surviving the virus. I was hoping for your suggestions. I have passed my single engine PPL in Honolulu 3 years ago, have ~100 hours. I am looking for a reasonably priced, low stress location (maybe not class Bravo again) to do 3 - 4 refresher lessons and then build 35 - 40 hours of cross country over a week or two.

I am a British citizen, live in Singapore. I do not believe that poses any issue with alien registration as this is not instrument training, but basic rental.

Anyone got some suggestions of a school / location you would be happy to share? Thanks!

That's correct, if you already hold an FAA PPL, your planned flying does not require the security screening.
Not trying to be a smart-a$$, but, it's a big country, you'll probably get more answers if you specify potential locations, meaning, where would you like to go visit? East, West, mountains, beaches, forests? Weather is also a factor, especially for a planned travel schedule, such that Arizona or Florida may be better choices than Seattle or New England. Wherever you choose, I'd guess that small- to medium-sized operations are more likely to have flexible scheduling options, whereas the bigger busy flight schools and academies probably have their fleets booked solid.

Depending on your budget and timing / flexibility, given the current economic issues, you might find an owner who would be interested in a one-month dry lease as a way to get a little money out of an airplane they're not flying much right now. (And you would find a private instructor for the "refresher lesson" part.)

That kind of arrangement would have additional insurance etc considerations compared to just renting from a flight school (but as a 100 hour private pilot could probably be added to an owner's policy for a basic trainer type plane without difficulty), but might result in a reasonable cost structure with minimum paperwork if you found the right match. (Finding the right match is probably the hard part.)

Of course, if you're in Singapore now, maybe ability to travel won't overlap with economic difficulty enough to make this work out super well.

Airline to Phoenix, go to the suburbs- Chandler, Mesa, Etc.(just look on a VFR sectional for the class D airports to the North and Southeast of PHX). Launch from one of those airports, take trips West North East and South. Some short, like to Tucson, then if you feel frisky, out to New Mexico or Texas. Just be hyper aware of terrain altitude, density altitude, military MOAs/restricted airspace, weather. ALWAYS pick up VFR flight following for the simple fact that they are another eye on you and will alert you to hazards you may not be aware of/used to.

I’ve always admired you Brits for just effing doing it, having adventures. This would be a fun one.

I am going to disagree with Jim Carpenter insofar as instrument training in Seattle is concerned. If you want to experience real-life in-the-murk flying, come to Seattle. My happiest days as an instrument instructor were those when the bases were at 800 agl and the tops of a stratus layer were at 3000 msl. Most of the approaches in the Puget Sound area have initial approach altitudes at between 2000 and 3000. We could punch up through the clouds to get on top, cancel and do airwork during the early hours while getting the hang of basic attitude flying was being assimilated and when that was down solid we could fly in the clouds with decent approach minimums.

IMHO pilots who get their instrument ratings in sunshine states are at a disadvantage when they encounter the real world.

Bob Gardner

If you decide to come to Phoenix AZ, I can suggest a school / plane / instructor combination which might work. PM me if interested.

I am going to disagree with Jim Carpenter insofar as instrument training in Seattle is concerned. If you want to experience real-life in-the-murk flying, come to Seattle. My happiest days as an instrument instructor were those when the bases were at 800 agl and the tops of a stratus layer were at 3000 msl. Most of the approaches in the Puget Sound area have initial approach altitudes at between 2000 and 3000. We could punch up through the clouds to get on top, cancel and do airwork during the early hours while getting the hang of basic attitude flying was being assimilated and when that was down solid we could fly in the clouds with decent approach minimums.

IMHO pilots who get their instrument ratings in sunshine states are at a disadvantage when they encounter the real world.

Bob Gardner

I'd totally agree with that assessment. The way I read the OP, I thought he wasn't after instrument training, this trip was only to be for VFR excursions.

I'd totally agree with that assessment. The way I read the OP, I thought he wasn't after instrument training, this trip was only to be for VFR excursions.

My reading comprehension leaves something to be desired. :(

Bob

That is correct. Although I have no idea of the requirements for alien registration and flight training, he should get his instrument rating to build qualifications and hours rather than just burn holes in the sky to build hours. It is fun to wander aimlessly in the blue sometimes thou...

Back