How to disinfect an airplane

bflynn

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Flynn
Hypothetically speaking - assume that one needed to travel and could find an operation open and willing to rent. Or not so hypothetically, assume one was a member of a club which has shut down operations because they don’t know how to disinfect an airplane. How do you do it? Maybe not now, but in the near future.

How do you disinfect the airplane for use? References are useful, I’m looking for a product list and to be able to write a procedure.

Garmin says to use 70% alcohol on their screens.

https://support.garmin.com/ms-MY/?faq=Sh6p4hQNMj5ZmyenGby2xA

I’ve got nothing else. Really would have expected some leadership from alphabet groups on this.

Rather than trying to disinfect the aircraft, disinfect your home instead. When you go out, mask-up, distance, keep your hands off your face, and clean before you return. None of these measures are perfect. You are just lessening your chance of contracting or spreading the crud.

Good luck, Garland

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Even in perfect scenarios the Rona can't last that long on surfaces. If the last time anyone touched the rental was over a week ago you're already good.

Well, I can’t send you our company protocols but you should be able to find some generic stuff online for air ambulance. We’ve had to decon our aircraft several times already. It’s a massive PITA. Not quite as bad as NBC decon in the military though. :(

Hypothetically speaking - assume that one needed to travel and could find an operation open and willing to rent. Or not so hypothetically, assume one was a member of a club which has shut down operations because they don’t know how to disinfect an airplane. How do you do it? Maybe not now, but in the near future.

How do you disinfect the airplane for use? References are useful, I’m looking for a product list and to be able to write a procedure.

Garmin says to use 70% alcohol on their screens.

https://support.garmin.com/ms-MY/?faq=Sh6p4hQNMj5ZmyenGby2xA

I’ve got nothing else. Really would have expected some leadership from alphabet groups on this.
If I were going to fly a plane that someone else had already flown, treat it like a shopping cart: 70% alcohol on yoke and anything that I might touch. Avoid touching face and wash hands before and after.

A couple of choices.
  • Not in a hurry? Wait 72 hours. Typical viruses degrade pretty quickly on surfaces. Even faster in the sun or heat. While many viruses can be detected after 72 hours, their titer is greatly reduced.
  • Hard surfaces? 70% alcohol works well. So does dilute detergent (e.g. hand soap diluted about 1:10)
  • Soft or porous surfaces? This will be more challenging. Maybe see #1 above.
You can probably treat the most touched surfaces (yoke, knobs, screens) with alcohol without damaging them. A face mask might help prevent you from touching your mouth or nose.

Disinfectant wipes on touchable surfaces: yoke, flap handle, radio faces, seat belts. Maybe a shot of Lysol all over the inside?

The Air Force is already on this!

Here is a photo of how to disinfect a pilot returning from a mission

110524-F-BK159-005.JPG

The Air Force is already on this!

Here is a photo of how to disinfect a pilot returning from a mission

110524-F-BK159-005.JPG

Should have some champagne mixed in to ensure the virus is killed.

Last edited:
Back