Tailwheel Endorsement...I'm your Huckleberry

love the video, thanks for sharing.
There are at least 5 different kinds of wheels landings. It might be due to the camera views, but it appeared you were doing tail low wheel landings, I could not tell if you were carrying power or not. Power off tail low are one of the harder ones to do as you have the least amount of time to gently set it on the runway, but you do have more room to bring the tail up and stop any minor oscillation of the tail. The more solid you touch down the more aggressively you need to release or even push the stick forward (can depend on trim setting).

If you really are touching down tail low, I would recommend coming in about 5-10mph faster you will find the touch down is easier, with a more tail high touch down. The touch down will likely look like about the same attitude you lift off at for normal (not soft field) take offs. This might look quite nose down in a Decathlon as the cowling is quite low on it to begin with. The faster touch down makes setting it nicely on the runway easier and requires less forward stick if any, but if you do hit hard it will balloon a lot more than the tail low wheel landings and PIOs can be a lot more exciting. A go around with the PIO's is a very good idea. The Decathlon without flap makes tail high wheel landings rather fast touch downs. They are nicer in the Scouts and Citabria's that have flaps.

The main reason for doing wheel landings in most small tail wheel airplanes is just to develop your proficiency in rudder and elevator control during the landings. Very few of them really need or prefer wheel landings. In some gusty wind conditions a wheel landing may be preferred. But mostly I have found them useful for emergency landing and landing with the tow rope while towing gliders. I know of at least two instances where after a power failure the pilot made it to the runway but landed long and felt with a 3 point landing the would ran off the end of the runway so they wheel landed it and carefully applied brakes while still rolling out. I don't recommend braking with tail up for most operations and I don't teach or practice it, however it isn't that hard to do and would certainly recommend if needed for emergency operations. The extreme short field pilots do it all the time. Towing gliders with our Scout we have to clear the end of the runway by 100 feet or risk wrapping the tow rope around one of the runway lights. My procedure is full flap 100 feet over the end of the runway, power off and quickly drop down to the runway and wheel land. Scouts kind of like to wheel land anyway as the gear is so tall it can be difficult to get the tail wheel on the ground especially when flying solo.

Looks like you doing great, impressive direction control for so few hours of tail wheel experience. That tells me you were taught and practice landing on the center line and not settle 10 feet to one side or the other. With only few exceptions I can usually tell if someones instructor was a tail wheel instructor or not even if they have never flown tail wheel. The tail wheel instructors insist (teach) on better directional control than most instructors that don't fly or teach tail wheel.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Lot of learning...hand eye coordination. For me Pushing forward when touching down was the hardest and instructors wanting full throttle on takeoffs. I eventually added a bit of speed for the wheel landings and it clicked. Finally learned what all my more experienced pilot friends knew about the rudder and keeping it coordinated. Wish i had started this way getting my tailwheel in a Citabria made me a better pilot.

Thank you guys for all the awesome experienced suggestions!! I took all of this and went back out for another lesson and it clicked pretty well. I realize this is simply another endorsement to learn and gain experience and that all tailwheels don't fly the same. I'll make sure to get good instruction in any future models I fly and will make sure to hit some grass up as well. It was really fun to wake my feet up from all my 310 flying. :)

Next I hope to check either gliders or float planes off my aviation bucket list.

Nicely done videos! I learned a lot. Looks like you had a great instructor.
Thanks! He really does have a good temperament for instructing. He took my wife up for her first acro ride in an Extra and was great at feeling her out and not "trying to impress" her.

Thanks! He really does have a good temperament for instructing. He took my wife up for her first acro ride in an Extra and was great at feeling her out and not "trying to impress" her.

Man, something about this paragraph makes me want to become an aerobatic pilot.

Congratulations and great job Kevin! Those landings were night and day from the landings in the previous video. I can assure you my wheel landings did not come together nearly that quickly. I commented on youtube under the last video that you were still doing the hold it off, try not to let it land trick and how that doesn't work for wheel landings. Didn't see any of that this time around. Excellent work.

And Kudos to your CFI. I wish I'd had a tailwheel CFI who was half as skilled as he is. Watching this makes me itchy to finally get the CFI done. Teaching people to fly would be all well and good yada yada yada, but teaching people tailwheel looks way fun. And I loved your camera placement. If/when I get a CFI ticket and start teaching tailwheel, I would give lots of thought to doing a similar 4-camera setup for students. Seems like there could be lots of learning to be gained for students who could see that kind of video of their own performance.

One last thing. Now that you have the sign-off, don't let it rust. Low and slow, down in the dirt with window open is where its at baby! Keep building on those skills. They'll serve you well.

Congratulations and great job Kevin! Those landings were night and day from the landings in the previous video. I can assure you my wheel landings did not come together nearly that quickly. I commented on youtube under the last video that you were still doing the hold it off, try not to let it land trick and how that doesn't work for wheel landings. Didn't see any of that this time around. Excellent work.

And Kudos to your CFI. I wish I'd had a tailwheel CFI who was half as skilled as he is. Watching this makes me itchy to finally get the CFI done. Teaching people to fly would be all well and good yada yada yada, but teaching people tailwheel looks way fun. And I loved your camera placement. If/when I get a CFI ticket and start teaching tailwheel, I would give lots of thought to doing a similar 4-camera setup for students. Seems like there could be lots of learning to be gained for students who could see that kind of video of their own performance.

One last thing. Now that you have the sign-off, don't let it rust. Low and slow, down in the dirt with window open is where its at baby! Keep building on those skills. They'll serve you well.
Thank you! Between the good comments I got here and how much I picked up on during editing the past couple videos, I really felt comfy on this flight. Obviously not perfect but my recoveries went well. My instructor has a great temperament in my opinion. I’m finishing editing his first lesson with my 17 year old son for his PPL. Between that, my flights for my tail wheel and his Acro flight with my wife...he’s our official family CFI. :)

Having been a CFI, I think doing more specialized (i.e. tail wheel, acro, twin, etc) training would be more enjoyable. Primary training got old for me pretty quick... right rudder...right rudder... I for sure think the cameras and editing makes the learning happen quicker/more efficient.

I’m looking forward to adding more taildraggers to my log book. Always learning

I agree about the cameras for de-brief....I can barely imagine how much that could help...especially the wingtip cam and the rudder pedal cam in this case! I barely have any photos even standing beside the planes I flew for training!

another thing about video playback.... you missed him saying "newest tailwheel pilot on the block." I've thought before about how many things over the years that instructors have said to me that have just blown right past me. The cockpit is not always a great place for great listening and focus.....

I’m looking forward to adding more taildraggers to my log book. Always learning

Congrats Kevin! I’m glad he’ll let you rent the plane and fly. That’s so great to have access rental TW aircraft.

Get some time in that super 140...

Back