Stratus ESG Connect to Garmin ADSB receivers?

Timothy Burchett

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
I got the Stratus ESG with connectors that allow it to feed a remotely mounted Stratus 2S with ADS-B information. Does anyone know if these connectors would work with a GDL 39 or GDL 50 to allow the unit to be remotely mounted and be fed the required information and power through the ESG connectors? Garmin’s latest stuff doesn’t talk to ForeFlight, so I might need to begrudgingly switch to Garmin Pilot, and I am trying to make sure I still get ADS-B In displayed on the tablet since Pilot doesn’t listen to the Stratus 2S.

Garmin has their own remote mount stuff like a GDL 50R that comes with its own antenna. i highly doubt garmin will get that feed from Stratus ESG. usually Garmin believes in closed protocol model . http://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-02087-10_02.pdf

it can connect to Aera and garmin audio panel, but i do not believe it works the same way as Stratus has designed theirs to work

I thought Stratus ESG and Foreflight were two entirely different companies these days. My GTX345 talks all day long to my iPad Mini running Foreflight via the FS510 installed in the GTN650.

Side note, have you actually tried Garmin Pilot? I found the Garmin Pilot and Foreflight were both good pieces of kit and each had their own pros & cons.

I got the Stratus ESG with connectors that allow it to feed a remotely mounted Stratus 2S with ADS-B information. Does anyone know if these connectors would work with a GDL 39 or GDL 50 to allow the unit to be remotely mounted and be fed the required information and power through the ESG connectors? Garmin’s latest stuff doesn’t talk to ForeFlight, so I might need to begrudgingly switch to Garmin Pilot, and I am trying to make sure I still get ADS-B In displayed on the tablet since Pilot doesn’t listen to the Stratus 2S.

If by Garmin's latest stuff, you mean the GDL 39 or GDL 50, ForeFlight works with them. They won't attach to your Stratus ESG, but that transponder is not a ForeFlight unit, it is manufactured and sold by Appareo. You could likely power a GDL 50 off of the Stratus ESG, but it would not provide antenna for GPS and ADS-B, so you might need to add external antennas for best results.

It is my understanding the hookup to your ESG only supports Stratus receivers. It supplies power and shares the antennas.

I am certain you could derive power from the ESG hookup, but you would still need antennas. Might be wise to get power without going through the ESG if that is the only purpose in mind.

Thanks for the replies. If only Garmin Pilot would display ADS-B info from a Stratus 2S, life would be so easy!

Tim, you can download several free efb programs that will display traffic and wx on your ESG...you can use run them along with garmin pilot...

Last edited:
The antenna/coax connection from the Stratus I believe only shares the ads-b/transponder antenna, not the Gps. The gps data stream is via rs232. The power pickup should be the 5V usb power, which should power another USB receiver. The only thing you would still be missing would be GPS position. I haven’t tried this, but it should work.

Back