Toilet Paper

We get those for mass cookouts in summer. They’re mostly fat. Grill gets rid of most of it and they get significantly smaller.
I'm guessing a significant portion of the shrinkage is due to water loss rather than melting fat.

Went into the local Shop Rite today for a more or less normal food shop. The TP aisle was bare, but the end cap was full of 20 count Scott tissue, maybe 15-20 packages. By the time I finished a half hour later it was down to maybe 4 packages. Amusingly, somebody had left a 4-pack of one of the soft fluffy kind on the end cap, presumably while grabbing the more bang for the buck kind.

So far Amazon is winning the on-line TP wars. I saw they had a batch for delivery in May, decided that was far enough out to place another order. It will be here Wednesday. WalMart on-line order delayed with no timeline. I guess sometimes it pays to be an almost exclusively on-line vendor so you know what your stock pipeline looks like.

Just for shirts and grins I looked at the TP available on Amazon. I didn't look at every brand, but there were quite a few that are "Made in China".

Just for shirts and grins I looked at the TP available on Amazon. I didn't look at every brand, but there were quite a few that are "Made in China".

Yes, the odd ones are still China based with long ship times. But periodically the ones you'd expect from the US pop up. Per the previous discussion here about the 2 markets for TP it looks like some of the commercial lines are starting to just send trailer loads to Amazon as it's more frequent to see the huge number of rolls(or the huge roll) commercial/hotel style packs showing up. ($50 gets you 12,000' of 2 ply on 12 x 1,000' rolls but you have to tear it yourself)

Are people still hoarding TP? WTF...

The shelves here were still bare yesterday.

Someone has had to have run out of toilet paper in their home by now. Do any of you know someone that has had to resort to using another method or material to wipe with?

If only there was a TP brand that used a cute fuzzy bat as its mascot, the jokes would write themselves. :)
Such as adding the word "crazy" to the meme?

(which now has me wondering... how did bats get tagged with that line? Why don't we here lemur **** crazy or lion **** crazy?)

(which now has me wondering... how did bats get tagged with that line? Why don't we here lemur **** crazy or lion **** crazy?)

apparently related to “bats in the belfry” and “batty”.

http://thegrammardance.blogspot.com/2016/02/the-etymology-of-bat****-crazy.html?m=1

of course, now, it will morph into “bat soup crazy”.

At our local Ruby Tuesday restaurant, they are selling only by take out...toilet paper is on the menu along with discounts for boxes of frozen food...they are trying to sell what they can to prevent overstocked food spoiling.

All those people that would use toilet paper at work are using more at home. The manufacturer of industrial toilet paper is different than the at home toilet paper and can't adjust from the giant sandpaper rolls to the comfy home size rolls.

I was able to score some this morning. It seems like the trick is to get to the stores right after their "senior hour". I stopped in at 8am (this store has a 7-8am reserved hour), and the TP aisle had a pretty good selection. It wasn't fully stocked like in the pre-infection days, but there was plenty, with a 2-package limit. My guess, though, is it will be gone before noon.

All those people that would use toilet paper at work are using more at home. The manufacturer of industrial toilet paper is different than the at home toilet paper and can't adjust from the giant sandpaper rolls to the comfy home size rolls.

I've heard that explanation too, and I'm having a hard time believing it. Take a look at Office Depot's toilet paper search results. Most of the commercial toilet paper products are out of stock. With all the businesses that are closed, there should be a glut of the stuff.

Last Friday, I was in a couple of stores that had some. I got in line at our local Target when it opened at 8 and got a six roll pack. It would have been gone by 8:30. Later in the day I was in a Publix and there was some there as well. It just seems hit or miss. If you have a favored supplier, call them and see if there's a time when they tend to have the stuff. Our Target gets shipments overnight on Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday, so if you show up when it opens you're likely to get some.

I've heard that explanation too, and I'm having a hard time believing it. Take a look at Office Depot's toilet paper search results. Most of the commercial toilet paper products are out of stock. With all the businesses that are closed, there should be a glut of the stuff.

I've heard that, too, and I'm *kinda* thinking there's a little bit to that. But summer is when kids are home (like they are now), the only difference is that one or both parents would be at work. I think there's a slight increase in the use of residential TP now, but not enough to account for all of the shortages. Seems to me there was always a decent reserve in grocery stores, I don't know if I've ever seen an empty TP shelf before this, even when blizzards were in the forecast. When bad wx was coming, people knew it would be a few days at most before they could get back to the stores for more so there was no panic buying of the stuff. This time the hoarders demolished the in-stock supplies, which depleted the reserve off the shelves and out of the storerooms, too. So now it's going out as fast as it's coming in and people are buying that 1 extra package because they know there's a good chance the shelves will be empty again the next time they need it. It will slowly get back to normal. I thought by now we'd be getting closer. I figure the day I go to the store at closing time and see TP on the shelves is the day I start to believe it.

HKFYWFg.gif

For the first time since this all began I saw an actual variety of toilet paper on the shelves at our local Fred Meyer at about 5PM on Tuesday. Not sure if I got there just after they unloaded or things are starting to normalize. They had both fancy and house brands. Last time I saw any was one kind behind the customer service desk at WalMart about 2 weeks go.

A friend works for P&G in Oxnard, CA where they make most of the paper good (napkins, paper towels, and TP) for the west coast. Tells me that due to the low margins with these products they are already running 24/7 and they really don't warehouse much while leaving this up to their customers to maintain some back inventory - that is it gets made and gets shipped ASAP. Tells me that they have a pretty good predictive inventory model for everyone, but this turned everything upside down. Taking this out of the picture, can you tell me what month uses the most toilet paper? Glad you asked - February.

Said it is going to take about 30 days to catch up and we're only about 5 days into it, this was a week ago.

Also noted that Kimberly Clark had a plant in Southern CA that closed a year ago. What is that about hindsight?

That explanation was posted earlier in the thread.

My theory is that the initial run on TP, etc. was caused by more people being at home, and then the resulting retail-store shortages caused people to stock up more than they ordinarily would, extending even to hoarding in some cases.

Sounds good, but nope.

Up-thread included a link to an article which (in kind of a precious way) suggested that, no, Americans weren't hoarding toilet paper, but rather, it was simply the fact that more people were at home, and that the consumer market was overwhelmed while the commercial market was oversupplied.

I threw BS on that claim then, after having observed (with my own, age-worn eyes) many people leaving Costco with multiple 64-count packages of TP.

But if, for the sake of discussion, you might credit that (ludicrous) explanation, I suggest you look at any of the industrial/janitorial supply outlets; you would think in the circumstances they will be overrun with toilet paper to sell, but no, they are all either on backorder status, or selling only to existing customers who had previously ordered the same product.

It is, as it has always been, morons and selfish jerks hoarding that are the problem. Full-stop.

apparently related to “bats in the belfry” and “batty”.

http://thegrammardance.blogspot.com/2016/02/the-etymology-of-bat****-crazy.html?m=1

of course, now, it will morph into “bat soup crazy”.

Countries mined bat guano from caves and other bat rich places for fertilizer and eventually explosives before a way to synthesize nitrates (?) chemically was accomplished.

Much of that work was done by slave or prisoner labor and diseases both from the mining and just in general were awful.

Being sent to the bat mines of certain Central and South American regions was pretty much a death sentence.

I forget which disease it was the prisoners would get, but one of the effects was fever and losing your mind. Which led to “bat **** crazy”.

Been many years since I read it, but the above and quite a bit more is detailed in a history about A Nobel that I can’t find in my collection at the moment to give the title... hrm

Someone has had to have run out of toilet paper in their home by now. Do any of you know someone that has had to resort to using another method or material to wipe with?

Technically being a business, I was able to order cases of Chuck Norris TP from Amazon, most of which I distributed to friends and family, with no issues.

Otherwise, my plan was to sign up for newsletters from all the politicians.

Rich

Technically being a business, I was able to order cases of Chuck Norris TP from Amazon, most of which I distributed to friends and family, with no issues.

Otherwise, my plan was to sign up for newsletters from all the politicians.

Rich
How does Chuck Norris TP rank when you include sandpaper TP, Rambo TP and John Wayne TP? :D

That was TP drift, not a lockable offense. :)

Yeah, but the drift will turn from TP to cars to airplanes to coffee to the shape of fish to politics to nuclear armament and then it will get out of control...

Somehow I doubt it was just one factor. Most likely a combination of factors. e.g.
  • Such as the sudden rush in the consumer side; and it takes a while for the commercial to switch over.
  • Consumer stock piling
  • Consumer sticking extra due to scarcity
  • Just enough commercial suppliers holding a little bit of stock which is not "stuck"
  • Restaurants, hotels... and others which have closed have a "stock" which is now effectively taken out of circulation
I have to believe there is some slop/margin in the system that it will catch up for these hick ups.

Tim

Somehow I doubt it was just one factor. Most likely a combination of factors. e.g.
  • Such as the sudden rush in the consumer side; and it takes a while for the commercial to switch over.
  • Consumer stock piling
  • Just enough commercial suppliers holding a little bit of stock which is not "stuck"
  • Restaurants, hotels... and others which have closed have a "stock" which is now effectively taken out of circulation
I have to believe there is some slop/margin in the system that it will catch up for these hick ups.

Tim

When those folks who have been stocking up and now realize they have a three months supply of the stuff and it's going to continue to be available, then the shelves will fill up fast and the producers will have to cut back.

• Consumer stock piling

Tim

Nope.

It's hoarding. Only hoarding.

Stupid, brainless, moronic hoarders.

If you hoarded, this is you.

It even happened in Australia.

When those folks who have been stocking up and now realize they have a three months supply of the stuff and it's going to continue to be available, then the shelves will fill up fast and the producers will have to cut back.

Three months?

Three months is a routine amount.

There are many, many people out there sitting on two, three years supply.

Hoarders.

Pathetic, idiotic, selfish hoarders.

Nope.

It's hoarding. Only hoarding.

Stupid, brainless, moronic hoarders.

If you hoarded, this is you.

It even happened in Australia.

Three months?

Three months is a routine amount.

There are many, many people out there sitting on two, three years supply.

Hoarders.

Pathetic, idiotic, selfish hoarders.

We know that there is hoarding going on, because we hear from people who have witnessed others buying in abnormal quantities, but what makes you think that's the only factor at work? That seems like quite an assumption.

Back