Avionics upgrades Done!

Paveslave53

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Paveslave53
Ok so after a long wait my upgrades are finally done ish just need a test flight but everything is in except my new JPI but the harness is in and its just plug and play.
I decided on my 182 to do the following,
1.Upgraded my 430 to a W
2. Added dual Flush Mount G5s with the GAD 29B, GTP 59, GAD 13 And GMU 11.
3. Flight stream 210
4. Newer JPI 730 and moved if from the co pilot side. I also now have my vacuum ADI moved over and the standby removed.

I plan on using this setup for quite a bit of IFR flying. Any tips or gotchas on the G5s?

Congrats on the upgrade! Post pics or else!

Can't think of any gotcha's with the G5, its pretty straightforward. I wish it was easier to toggle GPSS on/off, and to set an OBS course, but aside from that I really like my G5 HSI.

I echo what groundpouder said, I found it was quicker and easier to go between GPSS and NAV before getting the G5's, when it was just a button on my panel. I also forget the G5 isn't touch screen, or hybrid touch like my IFD440. More than once I've pushed the button, turned the knob to GPSS and then tried to select it by touching the screen. Other than that I love my G5's, and getting rid of the vacuum system makes it more than worth it.

Can't think of any gotcha's with the G5, its pretty straightforward. I wish it was easier to toggle GPSS on/off, and to set an OBS course, but aside from that I really like my G5 HSI.

Ok so when I tried to upload pics they are all upside down ???????

IMHO you are all set! Good selection of equipment. I echo the opinion of Groundpounder in that switching the G5 from GPSS to hdg is a pain. Seems like Garmin forgot about the ergonomics of that. You can go from heading to GPSS easily but not back. I still forget to turn GPSS off before I enable HDG.

You know we need pictures, to comment.

Here you go !

Attachments

• 39CF41BD-7CDC-4719-907E-F8E4673244E0.jpeg
    39CF41BD-7CDC-4719-907E-F8E4673244E0.jpeg
    106.4 KB · Views: 124
  • DEFD63B9-7201-45C8-A098-5765E9D13173.jpeg
    DEFD63B9-7201-45C8-A098-5765E9D13173.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 110
  • 5EC67846-CA5C-4BB4-A8AE-786BFC486941.jpeg
    5EC67846-CA5C-4BB4-A8AE-786BFC486941.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 112
That may just be the first GA airplane I’ve ever seen with a CD player :)

Where in the configuration is the option to show ground speed? I have OAT but no ground speed even with a GPS signal.

Heck I’m trying to find out why I don’t have a colored speed tape like you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heck I’m trying to find out why I don’t have a colored speed tape like you do.

Are your speeds setup properly in config mode? If you don’t enter all the speeds it doesn’t know where to draw the appropriate colors.

Are your speeds setup properly in config mode? If you don’t enter all the speeds it doesn’t know where to draw the appropriate colors.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I did set up the speeds instead of the installer. Airplane is in annual now and should be done in the next week or so. I’ll be checking the speed settings as soon is it gets done and report back.

So I checked that the other day and it is selected. It will show GS for a second then disappear.

That is odd. We are talking about a G5 in PFD config not HSI right? Also, is the G5 displaying any messages? ! shown on the screen? Where is it getting GPS input from (glareshield antenna, feed from panel mount GPS, etc). Do you have any data logging from the device?

It’s hooked into my 430W. We are taking about the pfd. I will put an inflight picture up.

Attachments

• 5E619583-D95D-4B2D-8C9B-8EF0EEBBF73F.jpeg
    5E619583-D95D-4B2D-8C9B-8EF0EEBBF73F.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 25
Back