Re: quarantine/lockdown: Do you have a housekeeper?

Ditto what wayne does at our house.

We have our place cleaned once a month or so. We do a pretty good job of keeping things clean ourselves, but as others have said it’s nice to have someone come in and really get the nooks and crannies that we miss (or are too lazy to do ourselves). We also have a dog walker that comes in a few times per week if I’m off flying.

Anyway, they’re still being paid. As I told them, if I’m getting paid, so will they. The dog walker was a little too proud to accept this directly, but he also works at a local restaurant/bar and we have this habit of shifting the decimal point to the right after we calculate the tip. ;)

Ours are still coming every two weeks and cleaning. We stay out of their way, which also gives the 6' distancing (quite a bit more).
My wife is concerned about someone that is going into several other homes that might have picked up the virus but are currently asymptomatic and spreading the germs in our house. I don't know if that is valid or not, but I"d rather pay the maid part salary than take the risk. And rather than pay her half as she agreed, after talking to her about how much business she has lost, I decided to up it to 75%. It won't kill us to clean our own house for a month or so and the look of gratitude and relief on her face when I gave her two visits worth of pay in advance was worth it.

Anyway, they’re still being paid. As I told them, if I’m getting paid, so will they. The dog walker was a little too proud to accept this directly, but he also works at a local restaurant/bar and we have this habit of shifting the decimal point to the right after we calculate the tip. ;)
If I'm reading that right, you are awfully generous. For a $100 meal that might get a $20.00 tip, you shift the decimal to the right and leave a $200 tip? Wow. I though I was generous leaving 25-30%.

If I'm reading that right, you are awfully generous. For a $100 meal that might get a $20.00 tip, you shift the decimal to the right and leave a $200 tip? Wow. I though I was generous leaving 25-30%.

Because it’s now takeout, the orders tend to be about $40 or so. A lot cheaper when you’re not drinking with your meal! :) So the tip is usually $75-80 in cash. We’re also cooking a lot more from home these days, so this only happens one night per week typically, and there are other restaurants in our neighborhood that we want to give business to as well.

House cleaner told to stay away. Still paying her. Making appointments and cancelling as we go along. I think by keeping her "on the payroll" we will be close to the front of the line when we get the almost all clear.

Does everyone have a housekeeper except me? Haha

No, we still don't, at least not now. We had a maid service come right after the kids were born for a while.

To @flyingcheesehead 's question I don't remember what we were paying, but I seem to recall it was on the order of around $100/visit.

The problems we're having now are 1) finding someone who will come to our house in the boonies 2) someone who's willing to come on the schedule we want (although realistically weekly is probably fine now, before we would've gone bi-weekly) and 3) making sure they can meet Laurie's standards of clean :)

What are you all paying, and what do they do for that money?

$110 per visit, every other week, and that's money well spent for improving morale.

That's for a house with 3 bathrooms and 1 kitchen. The obvious surfaces in those rooms are cleaned. Other rooms (they are not big) get vacuumed and dusted. Difficult tasks involving ladders etc. are not tackled. Does not include laundry, dishwashing, inside of fridge or inside of oven. Does not include windows. Also does not involve tidying, putting stuff away, shopping, or any other household chore. The cleaner brings her own tools and supplies, and often a helper. The dog enjoys them, but we are usually out when they come.

We're still paying the $110, without them coming.

I used to... until I got a hangar
A good friend of mine at Spruce Creek (7FL6) has a house and a hangar. He has a housekeeper and a "hangar keeper". She cleans his hangar bathroom, the epoxy floors and all the other surfaces and furniture in the hangar.

We use a cleaning service company, that sends different people each time. We only have them come once a month, and the rest of the time we do stuff ourselves. They contacted us and let us know they weren't sending their people out for the foreseeable future. We're not sending money in to the company for whomever may have come out, no...

He has a housekeeper and a "hangar keeper". She cleans his hangar bathroom, the epoxy floors and all the other surfaces and furniture in the hangar.

Life goals.

My couch in my hangar is pretty dang dusty.

We use a cleaning service company, that sends different people each time. We only have them come once a month, and the rest of the time we do stuff ourselves. They contacted us and let us know they weren't sending their people out for the foreseeable future. We're not sending money in to the company for whomever may have come out, no...

I think that's also different from having an individual cleaning person who you've known for some time. If you send that company money they'll still lay off their employees.

Back