Best resources to find independent CFIs

ArrowFlyer86

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
The Little Arrow That Could
Are there any online forums or databases of independent CFIs (not tied to any flight school)? As a student private pilot with 35 hours in I'm looking for someone to finish my training with who is OK using an aircraft that I purchased, rather than being tied to flight school fleet only. I'm based in Chicagoland in case that helps. Any recommendations are helpful!

I never found a useful online resource, although you might have more luck in Chicago. Your best bet is to find a flying club, as they will have a list of approved instructors. You also might ask the staff at a local fbo. At my home base, the girls behind the desk know everybody and could probably name a dozen local cfis.

Gold Seal has over 2,000 instructors listed. Each includes full contact information, sorted by city within state.
You can search it for free. Just pick the "Find a CFI" option in the top right menu (you have to be on a tablet or conventional computer; phone screen is too small).
You will have to create an account, but there's no charge and only takes a few seconds. This is the only way to keep bots from going in to harvest email addresses and phone numbers.

www.GroundSchool.com

Why are you looking for an independent CFI?

Why are you looking for an independent CFI?
Cuz he has his own airplane, and many flight schools won't allow that?

On my last bfr I booked it with a friend of mine. But she's employed at a flight school and they wanted me to bring my log books, add them to my insurance policy, yadda, yadda.
No.

One of the best places to find local freelance instructors is, and always has been, word of mouth recommendations.

Which means asking around, asking your friends at the airport, checking with the FBO, etc.

Or, today, means social media and the local flying groups on them. For example, I see on Facebook is a "Chicago Pilots" group. Likely they could help with a freelance CFI.

Ask your pilot friends for a reference?

Back