Downhill take offs

Very cool. I did my last flight review with a C-172D and did several TO&L on a short, downhill (takeoff and landing) field of 1200 feet or so, but without some of the crazy obstructions and mountains. (We do have a couple of 250 foot windmills off the departure end, though). Can't do this in my Grumman, though. :(

Very cool. I did my last flight review with a C-172D and did several TO&L on a short, downhill (takeoff and landing) field of 1200 feet or so, but without some of the crazy obstructions and mountains. (We do have a couple of 250 foot windmills off the departure end, though). Can't do this in my Grumman, though. :(

A Tiger owner put a video of her flying in and out of Lake Wohlford, which is 1345'. I don't even think she used the Ken Blackman flap technique.

what is that AOA indicator you use?
does it use some sort of weather vane, static pressure ports, or something else?

This is the fifth post and still nobody has made a downhill treadmill joke?

Okay, so was it like flying off of a downhill treadmill?

what is that AOA indicator you use?
does it use some sort of weather vane, static pressure ports, or something else?
Alpha Systems AoA , has two holes in a vane to compare air pressures.

A Tiger owner put a video of her flying in and out of Lake Wohlford, which is 1345'. I don't even think she used the Ken Blackman flap technique.

Wow. That's pretty tight. In any of the Grummans, from the AA1-AA5 series, taking off with 1/3 flaps does reduce ground roll and gets you into ground effect faster, but reduces climb rate. Although not in the POH, this technique can improve soft field and short field performance under certain conditions. I used this technique routinely with my AA1A on soft or bumpy turf runways. 1200 feet would still be pretty tight, though, even with my HC STC AA5.

Back