Poll: Lottery Winner Pick One: Mustang (P51-D) or Corsair(F4U)

Lottery Winner Pick Just One: Mustang (P51-D) or Corsair(F4U)

• Vought F4U Corsair

Votes: 62 62.6%
  • North American P51-D

Votes: 37 37.4%

• Total voters
sign me up for a P47...
US-P47D-Thunderbolt.jpg

Had to vote Mustang, as early in our adult life my wife and I envisioned actually being able to own one given expected life earnings.

The "Mustang price vs. net worth chart" since then puts this virus stuff to shame. :(

I’ll take the Corsair and then buy a membership in NetJets or Wheels Up. Much more practical

Cheers
If I had that much money, I wouldn’t need to be anywhere, so the turbine option would be a waste of time.

sign me up for a P47...
US-P47D-Thunderbolt.jpg

One of my airport/RV flying buddies here actually goes out to Chino most years to fly the museum's P-47 in the big Chino warbird show. He has a long history with Steve Hinton and the Chino crowd. I asked him about flying the P-47 and he said it was insanely hot and uncomfortable as heck down low where they are flown today. He thought it would be much better at 20 or 30K feet.

F4U. The Mustang gets way too much love.

I'd also take a P-47 over a Mustang.
F6F for me

I see you two are a coupla weirdos... just like me! I'd go for the P-47D, F6F or Corsair before blowing lottery coin on a P-51... but, that doesn't mean I don't think P-51s aren't bitchin cool.

would you rather spend 20+ or 60 gal per hour fuel costs or.. and find 115/145 high oct fuel.

A T-28B would a fun ride, we rode in those often while I was at Andrews, (1961-4)

Yep, a big engine T-28 is a hoot; I'm part owner on a T-28F, which is a T-28A (800hp) converted by the French to a 1425hp R-1820 powered fighter-bomber. The prices of a Corsair, Mustang, Hellcat or Thunderbolt make them pretty much unobtainium for us normal types, while a T-28 is a somewhat "affordable" (cough cough) warbird. It flies like a big Bonanza except for having really tall landing gear and a boot full of torque on takeoff. Seriously, the hardest part of flying it is engine management... gotta pay attention to it so it doesn't grenade and set you back about 60 grand. It's a great performer, but at a cost: fuel flow! 50 gph average, so it's not a daily or even weekly flyer. Too spendy and too much work (cleaning!) to fly it a lot, while in the summertime it's just stupid sweaty hot in the cockpit...

Since we're talking post WW2 trainers now, I'd be happy with a Beech T-34A. In 1964 we had two of them in the Vandenberg AFB Aero Club fleet that were fresh out of AF inventory and still had military tail numbers. They were a hoot to fly (at Bo operating cost)!

Back