Covid-19 shelter-in-place rules and GA

Here's a question- our governor's EO has forbidden all out-of-state travel except for essential business. My plane's in the engine shop just outside the state. Does that mean I can't go pick it up till the state of emergency is over (God knows when), or does the fact that the repair shop is "essential" mean that I am exempt from the EO?

Here's a question- our governor's EO has forbidden all out-of-state travel except for essential business. My plane's in the engine shop just outside the state. Does that mean I can't go pick it up till the state of emergency is over (God knows when), or does the fact that the repair shop is "essential" mean that I am exempt from the EO?
This could get interesting if one of the states has a rule that says "quarantine for 14 days after crossing the border", especially if the shop is located in the state with that rule.

This could get interesting if one of the states has a rule that says "quarantine for 14 days after crossing the border", especially if the shop is located in the state with that rule.

My state has that rule, but the state with the shop doesn't. My state's rule also doesn't apply to people who are only "passing through." Wonder if I could get someone to ferry it to me?

My state has that rule, but the state with the shop doesn't. My state's rule also doesn't apply to people who are only "passing through." Wonder if I could get someone to ferry it to me?

You really have to read the individual EO for your state. For example, here in Texas the order says "Effective Monday, March 30, at noon, GA-12 states that every person who enters the state of Texas through roadways from Louisiana will be subject to the mandated 14-day self-quarantine. DPS has been tasked with enforcing GA-12, and the public can expect to see an increased law enforcement presence along the Texas/Louisiana border............to include air travelers coming into Texas from the following locations: California; Louisiana; Washington; Atlanta, Ga.; Chicago, Ill.; Detroit, Mich.; and Miami, Fl."

So in Texas, my interpretation is that if I were to fly my plane back from one of the locations included in the order, I would be mandated to a 14 day quarantine. This applies even if I were to drive across the Louisiana border by mistake, & make an immediate u-turn. DPS officers will be patrolling the borders & airports.

You really have to read the individual EO for your state. For example, here in Texas the order says "Effective Monday, March 30, at noon, GA-12 states that every person who enters the state of Texas through roadways from Louisiana will be subject to the mandated 14-day self-quarantine. DPS has been tasked with enforcing GA-12, and the public can expect to see an increased law enforcement presence along the Texas/Louisiana border............to include air travelers coming into Texas from the following locations: California; Louisiana; Washington; Atlanta, Ga.; Chicago, Ill.; Detroit, Mich.; and Miami, Fl."

So in Texas, my interpretation is that if I were to fly my plane back from one of the locations included in the order, I would be mandated to a 14 day quarantine. This applies even if I were to drive across the Louisiana border by mistake, & make an immediate u-turn. DPS officers will be patrolling the borders & airports.

FWIW, commercial travel is exempted (eg, trucking), and the airport screenings are of passenger jets from the listed states. Also, to the earlier question, vehicle and aircraft maintenance- at least in Texas - is under the list of essentials, so it is allowable. I was pulled over and questioned to that effect after leaving a municipal airport a few days ago, and there was no issue.

FWIW, commercial travel is exempted (eg, trucking), and the airport screenings are of passenger jets from the listed states. Also, to the earlier question, vehicle and aircraft maintenance- at least in Texas - is under the list of essentials, so it is allowable. I was pulled over and questioned to that effect after leaving a municipal airport a few days ago, and there was no issue.

I know that aviation maintenance is "essential", but I didn't know if that meant the shelter in place rule exemption extended to myself as a consumer, or if it just applies to workers. I guess workers wouldn't have anything to work on if customers of those businesses stayed home though, and I'm sure my mechanic would like to get paid as much as I'd like to have my plane back...

Will DPS be at every airport in the state or just the ones with scheduled commercial service?

I know that aviation maintenance is "essential",
Each county can issue orders that are more restrictive than the state order, so looking into your specific county's order is also warranted. The EO for my county only includes auto & bicycle repair, but does not include aircraft in the essential exemptions.

Ok so here is a specific example - In Virginia, can I fly from KHEF Manassas to KSHD Shennendoah, full stop, taxi back, take off and land back at KHEF under VA's EO?

Here's the main parts of Virginia's EO I think are applicable:
1. All individuals in Virginia shall remain at their place of residence, except as provided below by this Order and Executive Order 53. To the extent individuals use shared or outdoor spaces, whether on land or on water, they must at all times maintain social distancing of at least six feet from any other person, with the exception of family or household members or caretakers. Individuals may leave their residences for the purpose of:
[many items cut out]
e. Engaging in outdoor activity, including exercise, provided individuals comply with social distancing requirements;
[other stuff cut out]

Is this outdoor activity? And is it ok if I'm flying solo?

I fear losing proficiency since I just hit the 100 hour mark. I don't feel like this would put anyone at risk since I'm solo, but I also don't want to be in violation of laws.

Does the order say anything about driving for recreation?

The obvious to me salient fact with all these state directives is that they’re mostly over complex and unenforceable on both a legal and practical level. In California the freeways appear to be at over 50% of normal traffic and although the CHP isn’t ever going to tell, I suspect based on recent experience that they have a ‘no enforcement’ policy in place to protect their officers, meaning don’t stop anybody for anything unless it’s absolutely unavoidable. Meanwhile the illuminated road signs on the freeways have shifted message from ‘stay home’ to ‘avoid crowds’, apparently recognizing the futility of trying to stop people from driving solo from one isolated location to another (e.g. home and hangar) and successfully managing their own exposure risk in conjunction with their responsibility in carrying out productive lives.

Last edited:
The obvious to me salient fact with all these state directives is that they’re mostly over complex and unenforceable on both a legal and practical level. In California the freeways appear to be at over 50% of normal traffic and although the CHP isn’t ever going tell, I suspect based on recent experience that they have a ‘no enforcement’ policy in place to protect their officers, meaning don’t stop anybody for anything unless it’s absolutely unavoidable. Meanwhile the illuminated roads signs on the freeways have shifted message from ‘stay home’ to ‘avoid crowds’, apparently recognizing the futility of trying to stop people from driving solo from one isolated location to another and managing their own exposure risk.
The traffic seems a lot less than 50% here in Santa Clara County, especially during rush hours.

The obvious to me salient fact with all these state directives is that they’re mostly over complex and unenforceable on both a legal and practical level. In California the freeways appear to be at over 50% of normal traffic and although the CHP isn’t ever going tell, I suspect based on recent experience that they have a ‘no enforcement’ policy in place to protect their officers, meaning don’t stop anybody for anything unless it’s absolutely unavoidable. Meanwhile the illuminated road signs on the freeways have shifted message from ‘stay home’ to ‘avoid crowds’, apparently recognizing the futility of trying to stop people from driving solo from one isolated location to another and successfully managing their own exposure risk in conjunction with their responsibility in carrying out productive lives.

You can't enforce common sense. Common sense says stay at home, stay away from others. So they try to put rules in place, hoping that some people will pay attention.

Common sense does what’s safe and keeps the economy going as an equal priority.

Ok so here is a specific example - In Virginia, can I fly from KHEF Manassas to KSHD Shennendoah, full stop, taxi back, take off and land back at KHEF under VA's EO?

Here's the main parts of Virginia's EO I think are applicable:
1. All individuals in Virginia shall remain at their place of residence, except as provided below by this Order and Executive Order 53. To the extent individuals use shared or outdoor spaces, whether on land or on water, they must at all times maintain social distancing of at least six feet from any other person, with the exception of family or household members or caretakers. Individuals may leave their residences for the purpose of:
[many items cut out]
e. Engaging in outdoor activity, including exercise, provided individuals comply with social distancing requirements;
[other stuff cut out]

Is this outdoor activity? And is it ok if I'm flying solo?

I fear losing proficiency since I just hit the 100 hour mark. I don't feel like this would put anyone at risk since I'm solo, but I also don't want to be in violation of laws.

Why do you care what this temporary law says in the first place ... just do what you think is right to minimize risk of getting infected or infecting others - in other words, don’t ask if it is legal but rather if it is right and you gonna be fine.

Here is a cheesy graphic to reinforce the point :

Attachments

• 878DAD29-EA35-48BD-AB93-CA91ED7F474B.jpeg
    878DAD29-EA35-48BD-AB93-CA91ED7F474B.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
perfect. I'm going. Less chance of me infecting anyone / getting infected flying at 6,500' than when my wife goes to the store for supplies.

Common sense does what’s safe and keeps the economy going as an equal priority.
from what I can tell, there's a time component in this that is missed in at least the FL state order.
Stay home except for necessary....
well what is necessary today...vs over the next 7 days....vs over the next 3 weeks....vs 6 months or whatever....
There are tons of things on that Homeland Security list of "necessary" that aint necessary, IMO, over the 2-4 weeks (or whatever) it would take to get a good initial handle on this thing. Sure, there's manufacturing and economy considerations that need to be saved in the long term...but I fear that trying to keep a lot of it going for the short term will instead result in slowing it over the long haul.

C'mon folks: Think. Reason. Act (appropriately).

I flew 2.7 hours, from Maryland to Virginia and back today, with a purpose, essential to me. I spent money that included tax revenue for the US as well as both states, and generated revenue for local businesses. I passed LEO vehicles on the ground and in the air. I was not detained, interrogated, or probed, nor were any of the other many travelers (both in the air and on the ground) that were in my vicinity. I distanced myself from others (except my copilot) and washed my hands. I did not wear a mask. Oh, and I ENJOYED it!

B-tblZQUAAAtgaD.jpg

All here is a great site that is showing the latest modeling for the US and state by state...

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

Looks like Ohio Governor and Dir of Health were pretty smart.
They were supposed to have updated that site with a new model along with new data yesterday. Sadly, they didn't. Therefore the data that's on there is coming up on 1 week old.

I flew 2.7 hours, from Maryland to Virginia and back today, with a purpose, essential to me. I spent money that included tax revenue for the US as well as both states, and generated revenue for local businesses. I passed LEO vehicles on the ground and in the air. I was not detained, interrogated, or probed, nor were any of the other many travelers (both in the air and on the ground) that were in my vicinity. I distanced myself from others (except my copilot) and washed my hands. I did not wear a mask. Oh, and I ENJOYED it!

That's all perfectly acceptable. Except for the last sentence.

Oh, and I ENJOYED it!

Didn't go yesterday. Went today. Ended up going to SHD to see the mountains and valley from a socially distant 6,500' down to 4,500' due to clouds and my lack of an instrument rating. The valley and mountains were more amazingly beautiful than I remember. Kind of like therapy. Makes you think there is an end to this crap and we can all get back to (close to) normal.

Anyway, all good. No LEOs pulling people over. No security guarding the gate to the ramp. Couple of people up. Some of which doing T&Gs at Dulles...

IMG_7919.jpg

Back